Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum distillation/sublimation/filtration setup
UnsatisfactoryYield
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 06:54
Vacuum distillation/sublimation/filtration setup

Hi,

I'm just getting my lab set up and could use some advice. I have a few syntheses planned that will need a vacuum of 10-15mmHg to distill organic product (if I want to replicate published procedure at least).

Watching NurdRage's video on aspirators, it seems like you can get 16.5mmHg with a $20 pump, some ice water, and an aspirator - pretty impressive.

He also mentions potentially achieving better results using a fluid with lower vapor pressure, like ethylene glycol - but I'd rather not introduce those vapors as a contaminant. What if I were to just use an aqueous CaCl2 solution at -10 or -20C?

I was going to bite the bullet and spend $2k on a Welch DryFast, so if this method gives decent results, it would save me a lot of headache.

What kind of vacuum setup would you recommend for a beginner?
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 10:54

Cheap water aspirator pump = necessary.
If you have extra money buy cheap Chinese 2-stage oil rotary vane vacuum pump on ebay (circa 200 US$).
I use the water aspirator for vacuum filtrations, for vacuum distillations of compounds with high boiling point upto 200 C, to remove volatile low boiling point solvents (not to mess oil in oil pump), also when there are corrosive vapors.
I use the 2-stage oil rotary vane vacuum pump for distillations of everything boiling above 200 C. My pump (cheap one from ebay, cca 200 US$) reduced boiling points of o-nitrotoluene from 222 to 70 C, benzyl acetate from 214 to 58,5 C, 1-acetylnaphthalene from 300 to 135-142 C, benzylideneacetone from 260-262 to 86-95 C.
When circulating a liquid through water aspirator pump, the vacuum strength is always slightly worse than the liquid vapor pressure at the liquid temperature. You also need powerful circulating pump which generates pressure of about 3-5 atm and. Using weak circulating pump able to pressure liquid only upto 1 atm = to transport e.g. water only upto 10 m height is not enough for the water aspirator pump vacuum distillations. The pressure of tap water is approximately 5 atm (in my country, from municipality pipes). The pressure of water pumped from own wells into pipes inside houses is usually set with automated pressure control devices to be between 3-5 atm (it oscillates, which is not good for stable vacuum). I tried also weak circulating pump submerged in 10 L bucket of water which produced pressure of only 1 atm and it was suitable only for vacuum filtrations, because there was only weak vacuum and air was continually entering through filter paper, this continuous air flow prevented water suckbacks, when connecting to vacuum distillation apparatus such weak vacuum was unstable and caused water suckbacks (no air flow entering the apparatus = the pump was flooded with a little of water at which it immediately lost the vacuum strength + stability and quickly flooded completely - observed on glass pumps by eyes and invisible on plastic pumps but the behavior the same = flooding and losing vacuum). When you connect a water aspirator pump to municipality pipes and you runs it for hours it could be quite expensive, the price for water will very likely increase in future and in some countries the water is very rare and precious.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 11:07

There are plenty of cheap vacuum pumps out there, if you aren't using it a lot, that makes more sense than a $2K pump. If you want a pump that can run for 5 years continuously, however, a Welch is it. I like the acid resistant ones a lot.

But an aspirator for short bursts is OK, or the water pump is fine, as long as it does at least 5 gal a minute or better.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 18:02

If you have a 3d printer, you can get one that way. I can provide a scad file if there is interest
Or you can make one with everyday items.
A water aspirator is a very very simple device..
All you need is a tubing T, tubing and some superglue.

[Edited on 10-1-2023 by Rainwater]

Screenshot_20230109_211351_Samsung Notes.jpg - 59kB

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 11-1-2023 at 18:06

found it.

vac valve.png - 19kB

Attachment: vac valve.stl (1.9MB)
This file has been downloaded 116 times

Attachment: vac valve.scad (5kB)