Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for material explaining observed property differences within a periodic period
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2023 at 17:51
Looking for material explaining observed property differences within a periodic period

Can someone point me to a book (online or otherwise) that would help me understand the observed differences between elements within a particular periodic period.

For example:

CaSO4 is insoluble , but MgSO4 is highly soluble.

NCl3 and NI3 exist and are explosive, but apparently not NBr3.

Ag2C2 and Cu2C2 exist. Ag3N exists, but apparently not Cu3N.

Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 11-1-2023 at 18:27

I'm still trying to learn everything about gibbs free energy.
I found this some time ago
https://www.chemguideforcie.co.uk/2022section27/learning27p1...

It basicly states something about the ion bond size having a direct effect on solubility

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 11-1-2023 at 18:47

Trends in the periodic table - always fascinating.
My experience is that as soon as you find a trend, there is some new factor that comes into play that breaks the trend.
This in itself is insightful.
But it also means that, apart from elementary high school texts, there is seldom any big deal made of these trends. Or maybe I am just not reading the right books.
You may well find ptable.com useful for exploring element trends. And it provides an awful lot if information in an easily accessed format. It won't give much insught on compounds which seems to be what you are after.

hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2023 at 13:50

Quote: Originally posted by Rainwater  
I'm still trying to learn everything about gibbs free energy.
I found this some time ago
https://www.chemguideforcie.co.uk/2022section27/learning27p1...

It basicly states something about the ion bond size having a direct effect on solubility

Not everything I am looking for, but this link is definitely helpful. Thanks Rainwater!
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-1-2023 at 14:47

Any college inorganic chemistry text (there are even free ones on line) will give a good explanation of the trends in the periodic table. Basically, it all comes down to the difference in electronic configurations. For example, the elements in a column generally have similar physical and chemical properties because they have the same number of electrons in their valence orbitals. The differences among the elements in the same group (column) can be attributed to the fact that their valence orbitals are in different shells.

Try to Google something like "free open access chemistry texts" and see where it leads you. If you are like me you will get sidetracked at least 2 or 3 times during your Goodling session. :D
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 13-1-2023 at 16:22

http://betterworldbooks.com is a great source for cheap textbooks.
Personally i love openstax, its free and im cheap.
Its the equivalent of a good high-school chemistry course.

But for an in-depth view of many topics I find it lacking.
Also the review questions, can only be answered after reading the next 2 chapters.

Thats where google and sciencemadness come in.

When I read something cool on here, I got to search for the literature behind it.
Same thing with any textbook.
Soon as you get to a part you cant understand, search for it here.
If its here, then its likely to be on youtube aswell.
1000 of videos with a thread from this fourm linked in the description
Just start skimming the headlines on the forum, your bound to find something interesting, and likely a passionate discussion about its finer details

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 13-1-2023 at 16:55

d and f contractions affect behavior of element a lot. Look at 4 group p elements and 5 group d elements and compare them with their neighbours in 3 group or 4 group respectively.
Heavy Walter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-1-2023 at 04:51

Hi

I remember a nice book, Chemical periodicity, by Sanderson.
Full of comparisons and graphics.
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2023 at 12:35

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Any college inorganic chemistry text (there are even free ones on line) will give a good explanation of the trends in the periodic table.

Yeah, it's been about 40 years :( since I read through a college chemistry book. I will find a used one and see what I have forgotten, and what is being taught these days :).

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2023 at 14:31

Quote: Originally posted by hodges  
Any college inorganic chemistry text (there are even free ones on line) will give a good explanation of the trends in the periodic table.

Yeah, it's been about 40 years :( since I read through a college chemistry book. I will find a used one and see what I have forgotten, and what is being taught these days :).

After retirement and not practicing chemistry for about 50 years, on Amazon I bought "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, et. al., 11th edition (2009) and Organic Chemistry, by Janice Gorzynski Smith, 2nd editiion (2008). Also I was lucky enough to locate the solution manual for both texts. These solution books not only have the answers to the exercises but also how the solution was obtained. As I work through each chapter, I don't start the next chapter until I have finished all of the problems for that chapter, which often will be 75-100+ problems. When I was an undergraduate I was told the answer to "surviving chemistry" was to work a lot of problems. I can't say I did this because work and a 20+semester hour caseload distracted me. However it was excellent advice to work a lot of problems. It is important not just to arrive at the correct answer, but to see how it was obtained.

On another note, I think pretty much all of introductory chemistry, inorganic and organic, can be summarized on a single sheet of paper. (both sides of a legal sheet at most). I think that the bottom line to figuring out chemistry is to "follow the electrons," (another piece of advice that I picked up somewhere). Once you know how electrons are the major factor in determining the properties of atoms, and how they determine the interactions between atoms and/or molecules, you pretty much should be able to explain a good deal of chemistry. After all, there are not that many different types of chemical reactions!

Well, enough preaching for one night; besides it is time for dinner (my homemade minestrone).

Good luck in your endeavor to learn chemistry! :)
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2023 at 17:55

After retirement and not practicing chemistry for about 50 years, on Amazon I bought "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, et. al., 11th edition (2009)

Pretty sure this is the book I used in college as well, obviously a much earlier edition (whatever would have been the latest edition in 1982).

I found a used book "Chemistry: The Molecular Science" 4th Edition by John W. Moore at a good price (used, like-new hardcover). Ordered that - will be a while before I get it though.

Go To Top