Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Detonating potassium chlorate explosive mixture.
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 27-1-2023 at 06:06

yeah prob
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-1-2023 at 11:37

Back when I started trying to learn pyrotechnics, I made small quantities of various chlorate compositions- AND HIT THEM, STEEL ON STEEL to get a feel for just HOW sensitive they were. Which was mostly QUITE a bit more sensitive than I cared for, especially if stars were primed with black powder or any chlorate mixtures contained a sulfide, such as antimony sulfide (torpedo mix) or, god forbid, Arsenic sulfide (red hand remover mix)

Later, I did the same with perchlorate (and other) compositions. And found that perchlorate comps, if including metal fuels, sulfer or sulfides were ALSO fairly easy to set off, though mostly at the high end of the range I'd experienced with the chlorate compositions. Nitrate mixes were generally lower impact yet, then there were a few surprises such as crackle mixtures with heavy metal oxides being a lot more sensitive than expected- And some strobe compositions with sulfate oxidizers being quite snappy too

If you MUST reinvent this wheel, do it to learn something rather than be kewlish and just make big bangs. Fabricate a drop tester perhaps, take and report some impact data. Get some different surface materials and fab up a friction shoe tester, get (relative) friction sensitivity data.

I don't like to detritus threads for lack of scientific merit... So show something is being researched/learned? Search rather than ask for spoon feeding? Do something beyond discussion of making "kewlbomz"?

[Edited on 1-30-2023 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-1-2023 at 17:47

Quote: Originally posted by PINKBOII  
i think ill start making tetrazoles to

You need to practice walking for a while longer before you try to run, let alone fly. And learn to think carefully about what you are doing and how to deal with ALL the possible consequences.

Having seen what Microtek and a few others got up to before they could have legally bought a drink or a pack of smokes in USA, I am not saying it's impossible.

But I also recall a kid who called himself fone, before he made a large batch of explosives and accidentally killed himself.

And Myfanwy, another kid about your present age who made phosgene without a fume hood or sufficient protective gear. It took him about a week of very bad days to die.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 1-2-2023 at 07:12

yeah, I try to take the most precautions and I NEVER work with any toxic gasses inside, only outside with a gas mask because I hate toxic gasses :P

I also don't make enough explosives to kill myself :)

I have everything to make tetrazoles except for guanidine nitrate. I probably give it a go in a year or two when I get some guanidine nitrate.

I will take everything you said to heart :)
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-2-2023 at 09:43
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top