Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Selection and acquisition of liquid crystals
print118
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-5-2023 at 14:45
Selection and acquisition of liquid crystals

Hi,

I intend to build some auto-darkening safety glasses that could protect from bright lights, kinda like some welding helmets.

The idea is to make a custom LCD to darken the lenses, but I can't seem to find the appropriate liquid crystal to use here. Based on my searching, there are some common ones, such as MBBA, 4′-Pentyl-4-biphenylcarbonitrile, E7 mixture and cyanophenylcyclohexanes. Problem is I can't really find any information on the differences of these LCs, like which are better and which are worse. Ben over from Applied Science and Thoisoi2 have made videos on the subject, but Ben doesn't mention the specific LC that he used. Thoisoi2 however shows his LC, which is the 4′-Pentyl-4-biphenylcarbonitrile, so I'm tempted to just get that but there are so many other options and so little knowledge that I'm not sure. Availability shouldn't be an issue for the MBBA and 4′-Pentyl-4-biphenylcarbonitrile, but the E7 mix and cyanophenyl ones are harder to come by.

Perhaps someone here has experimented with custom LCDs or otherwise has some knowledge, and could point me in the right direction on which liquid crystals would be best?

Go To Top