Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: NaOH in the eyes
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 05:34

GAHHHHHHHhhhh! Did you help him?? :(

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by Saerynide  
GAHHHHHHHhhhh! Did you help him?? :(

Yes, but he didn't cooperate. It's tough to help someone who doesn't want to be helped.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:35
The Social Uses of Sodium Hydroxide

New York Times
FOLLOW-UP ON THE NEWS; Love Story: Part II
By RICHARD HAITCH
Published: February 22, 1987

HE was a lawyer who once ran for New York State Assemblyman.
She was a friend who lived in the Bronx. He said he loved her, but
she rejected him after learning he was married. He hired three
thugs to throw lye in her face, so ''no one else will want you.''

Burton N. Pugach was disbarred and served 14 years in prison for
the 1959 crime. Linda Riss was totally blinded in one eye and left
legally blind in the other.

Eight months after Mr. Pugach was freed in 1974, they were
married.

In an interview in 1976, Mrs. Pugach said at their apartment in
Queens, ''He's very good to me, and I have no complaints.'' She
hoped the state would restore Mr. Pugach's license to practice law
- ''he shouldn't be punished into the grave.''

Reputed drug lord captured in Mexico
By DUDLEY ALTHAUS
Jan. 12, 2010

MEXICO CITY — Mexican federal police Tuesday captured one of
Mexico's most wanted drug thugs, a man known as among the
most bloodthirsty killers in a vicious new generation of gangsters.

Captured without violence at a house in the Baja California port
City of La Paz, Teodoro Garcia Simental, nicknamed “El Teo”,
stands accused of killing hundreds of rivals and kidnapping untold
numbers of civilians in the past two years as he battled for control
of narcotics smuggling and other criminal rackets in Tijuana, across
the border from San Diego.

Garcia gained notoriety last January — and shocked even the most
violence-hardened Mexicans — when officials accused him of
ordering an underling to dissolve the bodies of some 300 of his
victims in lye. His underling became famous nationwide as “the
Pozolero,” or maker of pozole, a popular pork and hominy soup.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:39

Biological washing powder is just as good for dissolving bodies, cheaper and greener.
Put a pigs trotter in a bath of strong aqueous bio powder, put it somewhere warm
and watch it dissolve over a few days.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 3-9-2011 at 16:02

I had a similar accident, I once opened a a brand new alkaline battery to retrieve some chemicals. I thought that since it was brand new, it didn't have any significant amount of pressure built up inside. I opened it up and found out that even a brand new battery has pressure built up inside, the KOH electrolyte splattered in my face. Fortunately, I was wearing glasses at the time, but not a face shield. I had little red marks on my face for a few days.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 16:07

Not to trivialize the incident but link below shows 'just what the doctor ordered' (as they say)!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medical-Apothocary-Glass-Device-Be...

Dann2

[Edited on 6-9-2011 by dann2]
HexJam
Harmless

Mood: Steady

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 07:34

Terrax753, top tip from one chem-noob to another: before you carry out any experiment go to Google type in "MSDS [name of chemical]", download the safety sheet and READ IT! Pay particular attention to the instructions for eye/skin splashes and flammability!

I hope your eye is getting better, you did the right thing this time, prolly not best to take another chance though!

P.s.

Goggles!
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 11:24
Sqafety glasses

Redneck safety glasses.

Safety-glasses.jpg - 28kB

djh
----
Someone whose
name I do not have
permission to use
sent me this a bit
back.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 12:22

and the wizard wins this round
Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  
Redneck safety glasses.

djh
----
Someone whose
name I do not have
permission to use
sent me this a bit
back.

bdbstone
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 16:14

I touch NaOH many times but I didn't notice any burns or anything, because I always wash with water. .. NaOH turns the body oils into "soap", so you get like kinda funny 'oily' feeling from touching it, thought I really wouldn't want it to touch my eyes or smth.
DougTheMapper
Hazard to Others

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 16:52

I had a bottle of 96% H2SO4 which was notorious for dribbling down the side after pouring. It's always unnerving to feel the oily acid all over your fingers after you put the bottle down and know you have maybe half a minute to wash your hands before it gets painful. I've finally gotten rid of the darned thing and surprisingly never suffered any burns from it.

I do have several of 1-2mm wide craters in my right arm and hand from spattered molten NaOH. There's no time to wash that stuff off... the droplets begin boring into flesh immediately. Try putting some molten NaOH on a hot dog and you'll understand what I mean. They didn't hurt too bad but I'm really glad I was wearing most of my safety gear. Definitely a lesson well-learned.

[Edited on 13-9-2011 by DougTheMapper]

Victor Grignard is a methylated spirit.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 17:30

Why the hell don't more people wear gloves on this site. Mad science doesn't mean you have to let sulfuric dribble on you hands. I think that's just crazy.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 17:49

Quote: Originally posted by bdbstone  
I touch NaOH many times but I didn't notice any burns or anything, because I always wash with water. .. NaOH turns the body oils into "soap", so you get like kinda funny 'oily' feeling from touching it, thought I really wouldn't want it to touch my eyes or smth.

Caption sez acid... i would have though alkaline.

Attachment: Acid foot.pdf (200kB)
This file has been downloaded 529 times
bdbstone
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 18:35

I remember, one day when I watched the video of the guy on youtube when he "tested" his furnace, which he build. The day was clear and he was wearing a short trousers and a short t-shirt. Running around the furnace the thought run through my mind, how he is standing the heat from the furnace, which I believe must be very hot with the short shirt on, but I just kept it watching... But when he was pouring molten metal without any gloves on I just couldn't take it anymore and closed it down. Really, there is 2 different thing for me is not taking proper precautions and being just plain stupid.

[Edited on 13-9-2011 by bdbstone]
bdbstone
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 18:53

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Why the hell don't more people wear gloves on this site. Mad science doesn't mean you have to let sulfuric dribble on you hands. I think that's just crazy.

Sorry, if its about me, I always wear gloves when handling NaOH. Apparently some of NaOH got on the table and when I was cleaning the table is when I got this 'oily' feeling.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 19:15

Gloves are a must as are goggles, i have learned this lesson after few close calls which i must say were a result of cockiness and ignorance that has changed

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 20:33

Quote: Originally posted by bdbstone  
Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  

Sorry, if its about me, I always wear gloves when handling NaOH. Apparently some of NaOH got on the table and when I was cleaning the table is when I got this 'oily' feeling.

Sorry if I can off as an ass, and my comment was more directed at DTMs story of dribbling H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> on his hand multiple times. I have just read a lot about people not wearing gloves and some very basic PPE and procedures when dealing with toxic salts, acids, caustics, solvents, and even TNP solutions and sensitive energetics without bothering to even slip on some gloves or goggles. Why? They are not expensive, and are a lot less inconvenient than a painful burn, a life changing injury, or a slow degenerating disease and/or death later in life. I'm not saying don't attempt the risky experiments, just use your heads.

Maybe I am just paranoid, but I sometimes worry about the long term effect that our hobby may have if some simple precautions are not taken. Sorry to come of as mother-henish or rude. Almost any reactions capable to the home experimenter can be carried out without harm to themselves or others (even cumulative and long term) if a little thought and planning are used before, during, and after.

[Edited on 13-9-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2016 at 17:17

Hey guys I somehow managed to get some cleaner that contained sodium hypochlorite and NaOH on my hands before taking a shower and I inevitably got some in my eyers, I flushed my eyes but not for 15 min more like 2-3 min every now and then and now one day later my eyes got worse. I don't know if it's from the cleaner or from throwing water in my eyes all the time.
What's really fucked up is that they didn't really hurt for the whole day but I can sense them burning now that I want to close my eyes to sleep.

[Edited on 28-6-2016 by gatosgr]

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2016 at 17:32

My wife, an RN/BSN suggests:
1. Go to an Emergency Room
2. See an Ophthalmologist.

My take: I wouldn't suspect the water washes. Good luck!
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2016 at 01:32

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  

I went to the opthalmologist today , he says there's a light burn on my left eye and gave me antibiotics and a vitamin gel , the weird thing is that my left eye didn't give me any weird sensation until after 20 hours , I only washed my right eye straight away which is ok because of this but didn't persist on my left eye because it didn't hurt or feel strange since the amount that must have got in there should be very little but it had 20 hours to act.

I used the bottle method to wash my eye by closing and opening it fast after the 20 hours unfortunately and it was a lot better than standing under the faucet. Some army tricks are very useful thanks to the guy who posted it.

One last thing, I asked the opthalmologist if he checked my eyes ph level and he said that the eyes will clean themselves with the tears, he did use something like a litmus paper on me left eye but I don't know what it was. From what I've read in an emergency room they continually use litmus paper to check the ph and wash the eyes with a cleaning tool. I wonder if the opthalmologist knew what he was doing.

battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 28-6-2016 at 07:56

Quote: Originally posted by gatosgr  
Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  

I went to the opthalmologist today , he says there's a light burn on my left eye and gave me antibiotics and a vitamin gel , the weird thing is that my left eye didn't give me any weird sensation until after 20 hours , I only washed my right eye straight away which is ok because of this but didn't persist on my left eye because it didn't hurt or feel strange since the amount that must have got in there should be very little but it had 20 hours to act.

I used the bottle method to wash my eye by closing and opening it fast after the 20 hours unfortunately and it was a lot better than standing under the faucet. Some army tricks are very useful thanks to the guy who posted it.

One last thing, I asked the opthalmologist if he checked my eyes ph level and he said that the eyes will clean themselves with the tears, he did use something like a litmus paper on me left eye but I don't know what it was. From what I've read in an emergency room they continually use litmus paper to check the ph and wash the eyes with a cleaning tool. I wonder if the opthalmologist knew what he was doing.

Worst case scenario he didn't, you get worse. You sue him, use the money to get top-tier treatment. You end up rich and, maybe, also a cyborg. MURICA!

But srsly, if it was a minor contact during the shower, it's not likely that your eyes would still be with an "offset" ph after washing and all. The burn thing does make sense.

Batoussai.
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2016 at 13:55

Quote: Originally posted by battoussai114  

Worst case scenario he didn't, you get worse. You sue him, use the money to get top-tier treatment. You end up rich and, maybe, also a cyborg. MURICA!

A pirate more probably, just have to loose one leg and buy a parrot.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top