Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Iodoform
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2011 at 18:54

would i be able to make some iodoform with some tetraglycine hydroperiodine? it readily turns orange with just water. maybe if i dissolve in in water, add the acetone then the sodium hydroxide solution. anything but phosgene! because i wouldnt mind making my own antiseptic. every time i go to my work shed there are always sulfuric fumes of sorts or hydrochloric and it attaches to the sweat on my face and itches. also there is carbon dioxide for sure from spills on wood etc..and gnats love that stuff. i've never had a good complexion but damn, bumps at fifty?people might stop shaking hands with me.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 23-5-2011 at 20:05

It sounds like water purification tablets. I handled them years ago the same way I handled Povidone iodine. Mix it with NaOH and heat it till your left with nothing but ash which contains your NaI. Dissolve in water and filter. Proceed as you normally would with NaI solutions.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 11:31

well i heated the water purification tabs with sodium hydroxide then added water and got no iodine color. so i added a dash of acetone and h2o2, then a about 100 ml of bleach and it all fizzed but no orange color. i did get to smell the cut grass odor though i did not take deep whipfs. i must say it is very,very pleasant smelling though not watermelon-like as my cut lawn,but better than chloroform. i then added about 15ml of sulfuric acid and instantly the whole thing turned orange and my shed smells like betadine now. i think i see a precipitate also.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 23:19

Is this cut grass odor phosgene?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 02:23

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
Is this cut grass odor phosgene?

No
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 02:40

Speaking of phosgene. It's now been 80 hours since that whole scare I had. With zero symptoms I guess this is an appropriate song
:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 04:45

no not phosgene or i'd be dead but not chloroform either. i did smell chloroform at first of course with the acetone. this mixture is a chameleon like solution, yesterday it was orange then it went white when i added more bleach, then it went back to orange as it sat in the sun.this morning in my shed its white again. i think i'll just buy potassium iodide.yep youre still alive and soon you will be back rockin to highway to hell. such ungratefulness!
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 04:51

Speaking of phosgene. It's now been 80 hours since that whole scare I had. With zero symptoms I guess this is an appropriate song
:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

Did you heat your iodoform directly with a flame or from beneath in container, and was it still wet? Most likely you did not even make phosgene !

[Edited on 25-5-2011 by Jor]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 05:13

I thnk you should make a difrent thread for that. So just to confirm 44 hours and nothing means im fine? I also forgot 2 mention that after heating it with the blowtorch there was some mess on the pan. I cleaned it with a paper towel and burnt said paper strongly with the bt. I hope that doesnt change anything. I have NO symptoms but still concerned. Should i get my lungs x-rayed?

[Edited on 24-5-2011 by mewrox99]

1) We're chemists, not doctors, but

2) If you have no symptoms and are alive, then you will not likely suffer any ill effects. Without symptoms, most X-rays will not likely show anything useful. Meaning that if you had symptoms, then they might be due to physical problems that show up on an xray. Any remaining long term issues from chemical exposures are very hard to detect by X-rays.

But I know several chemists who have had many exposures to harsh chemicals and if they were fine after a couple of days, they were OK. Two of them are still alive and well after 85+ years, so all chemicals can't be as bad as the media claims.

Bob
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 06:23

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  

1) We're chemists, not doctors, but
2) If you have no symptoms and are alive, then you will not likely suffer any ill effects. Without symptoms, most X-rays will not likely show anything useful. Meaning that if you had symptoms, then they might be due to physical problems that show up on an xray. Any remaining long term issues from chemical exposures are very hard to detect by X-rays.
Bob

:D I think he suffers from the survivor paradox symptom :D
"Hey its 1 hour and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 2 hours and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 1 day and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 2 days and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 1 week and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 2 week and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 1 month and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 2 monthes and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 1 year and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 2 years and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 1 decade and I'm still alive!"
"Hey its 2 decades and I'm still alive!"
"Heeeyyy iiittttsss 1111 ccceeennttuuurrryyy aaannddd III''''mmmm sssstttiiiillll aaallliiivvvveeee!!!! (But I suffer from Parkinsonian disease...I knew that iodophosgen had injured me in some way"
"Hey its 2 centuries and I'm still alive!"(But answering from the other side, everything is fine, I play with Adam and Grand-Grand-Pa and Mom)"

ROFL-LOL :):D:P

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 09:27

When I was a kid I "accidently" lit a plastic cupholder on fire making a terrible smell. I was sure I was going to die in 2 days.

Why on earth did you heat it? Just keep it in a vial or flush it.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 20:57

I heated it because I thought that was a good way to dispose of it. If I dissolved it in propanone and flushed it down the sink it would have stank out my lab which is in a fairly confined space (I usually work outside).

The Iodoform was slightly wet and heated strongly with a blow torch.

Anyway, this issue no longer concerns me.

I didn't smell hay so I doubt there was over 1ppm entering my nose and even so it was days ago. I was only worried in the 24-72hour bracket where the symptoms of pulmonary odema can take a little while to manifest. The lungs can't survive that long filled with HCl.

On the topic of phosgene poisoning. I am very surprised I cannot find a single reference online other than hearsay (Just2DIY on yt and him being offline) about his death. Death by phosgene is probably one of the most atypicial ways for a 16 year old to kill himself so I'm suprised it didn't make any news. I've googled his irl name several times

I would have expected an article like this (Phones death)
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=...:official&prmd=ivns
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 16:23

I made a very small quantity of Iodoform this evening following Woelens suggested steps.

1g KI dissolved in 5 ml of 10% HCL

added 7ml of 3% H2O2 (probably could have stopped after 5ml) the typical precipitate of iodine crystals formed, allowed these to settle 5 mins and decanted. rinsed with water.

Added 8ml water followed by 8ml Acetone, and agitated test tube 1 minute.

Added NaOH dropwise (exact quantity not measured but solution used was 1M) until the solution turned bright yellow with quickly precipitating iodoform.

Allowed to settle, decanted. rinsed with DI water and filtered

In the vial shown, is the final product, havent weighed it yet as it is not completely dry.

***I took step by step pictures of my synth however they are too large to attach to the message board :( will convert at some point although they are pretty typical images***

[Edited on 27-5-2011 by Mailinmypocket]

iodoform final.JPG - 22kB
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 23:43

This indeed is the right color of the product. Next time you can decrese the amount of acetone. Instead of 8 ml it is OK to use 2 ml. But using more does not harm, it just uses up more acetone than is necessary.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 02:11

The OP's method, using hypochlorite and KI makes more efficient use of the KI. You get more iodoform for a given weight of KI.

Making iodoform from iodine, some of the iodine is lost as iodide.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 04:29

Did you read the rest of the thread? Adding hypiochlorite directly to a mix with iodide and acetone does not only lead to formation of iodoform, but chloroform (and maybe mixed iodo/chloro forms) as well is formed. This is highly undesirable.

I know that 50% of the iodine is converted to iodide, but you can easily oxidize this again with some H2O2 and acid and do the iodoform reaction again. Even a third iteration can be done without increasing the volume of the liquid too much. With 2 iterations, 75% of the iodine is used, with 3 iterations, 87.5% of the iodine is used. You even can keep the iodoform in the liquid if you don't make the liquid too acidic for each iteration.

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 04:53

Ok less acetone is even better, I'm planning on scaling up the reaction after work this evening to obtain a few grams worth for future experiments. I didn't really calculate the shoichiometry on this one and to be honest, that's an area of mine that needs more practice. Nonetheless I will reduce the acetone and try again :) now as For the efficient use of KI, if the peroxide used oxidizes all of the elemental iodine out of solution, would there really be that much waste of KI? I haven't had a chance to view OP's method yet but I'm assuming that the hypochlorite performs the same oxidation as the peroxide does? Perhaps I will do a side by side test later and see what the differences look like!
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 04:55

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Did you read the rest of the thread? Adding hypiochlorite directly to a mix with iodide and acetone does not only lead to formation of iodoform, but chloroform (and maybe mixed iodo/chloro forms) as well is formed. This is highly undesirable.

I know that 50% of the iodine is converted to iodide, but you can easily oxidize this again with some H2O2 and acid and do the iodoform reaction again. Even a third iteration can be done without increasing the volume of the liquid too much. With 2 iterations, 75% of the iodine is used, with 3 iterations, 87.5% of the iodine is used. You even can keep the iodoform in the liquid if you don't make the liquid too acidic for each iteration.

Wow, you posted that at the exact instant as I posted my last reply, all questions answered, thanks Woelen lol!
trb456
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-6-2011 at 09:45

Bringing up this iodoform thread again to ask about purification. I've been reviewing the haloform reaction and Woelen's preparation. Assuming we use acetone as the reactant/solvent, and NaOH as the source of OH-, and strip out/balance all the stages of the mechanism, we get the following balanced equation:

3I2 + CH3COCH3 + NaOH -> CHI3 + CH3COO- + Na+ + 3I- + 3H+

My question is whether or not anything else can be recovered on the right hand side of the equation. Assuming we wash the CHI3 with water, we are left with an aqueous solution of the remaining ions. Everything in sight is highly soluble. The least soluble combination would seem to be sodium acetate, but that's the least interesting thing we could recover IMHO. Also, things may be more complicated than this, given that the haloform mechanism has many stages (see the above link).

This looks like a dead end, but I thought I'd ask a more experienced group. Thanks!

trb456

EDIT: Looking up BPs, it may be possible to distill off the acetic acid and leave behind sodium iodide, but there may be more interactions here that change the BPs in ways I do not know.

[Edited on 10-6-2011 by trb456]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-6-2011 at 11:18

@trb456: A few posts earlier I explained how most of the iodide in the remaining solution can be used for further haloform reaction. In a single step, 50% of the iodine is used, with two steps, 75%, with three steps 87.5% and so on. Three steps most likely is most economical, above that, the hassle of acidifying, oxidizing and basefying becomes too much for the small amount of iodine used for making more iodoform.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I also received a few questions about the reaction of iodoform with chlorine gas. I have done a few experiments to check what happens with this reaction. I found it sufficiently interesting to make a small (text-only) web page about this experiment:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/exppatt.cgi?...

The second experiment describes what happens when chlorine gas is passed over iodoform. Based on the results of this experiment I'm almost 100% sure that no CCl4 is formed, but only CHCl3 and possibly lower substitution products like CHCl2I and CHClI2.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2011 at 11:33

I can't believe I didn't read this thread before my iodoform experiments, but I hardly ever go in the organic section here as I usually don't know whats going on. Maybe I should, and force myself to learn something :)

I tried the bleach method and was really happy with the amount of product I got compared to your method woelen. Didn't realized the chloroform produced was a problem and making mixed halogen haloforms. Guess it was too good to be true, sorry if I ever doubted you woelen :(. I'll update my video...

What about the bleach method and bromoform, can we expect the same problems with iodoform? I don't see why not. And if so could I make bromoform by adding sodium hydroxide to bromine and acetone in water?

Lastly, I might have gotten a small amount of iodoform on my skin (impure iodoform, made the bleach way). The rest of the day I felt a little dizzy. an MSDS sheet said that it can be easily absorbed through the skin, is it possible that was the reason I was dizzy?

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-6-2011 at 03:21

I doubt it was from Iodoform on your skin. Iodoform was used as an antispetic applied to open wounds.

It was probably CH2ClI or some other compound like that. These compounds are likely to be very toxic and probably is able to be absorbed through skin
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-6-2011 at 04:29

As I wrote before, adding bleach directly to a solution of acetone and an iodide (or bromide if you want bromoform) is not a good idea.

You can use bleach, but with the bleach you first must make iodine (or bromine) in somewhat acidic solution. To that you add the acetone and then add sodium hydroxide. Never allow the presence of excess bleach or excess chlorine.

The stoichiometry of the reaction is as follows:

3I2 + CH3COCH3 + 4OH(-) -> CHI3 + CH3COO(-) + 3I(-) + 3H2O

In terms of chemicals it is as follows:

3I2 + CH3COCH3 + 4NaOH -> CHI3 + CH3COONa + 3NaI + 3H2O

You, however, should use excess acetone and excess hydroxide in your experiment. Most expensive is the iodine and you want all of that to be used up.
From this reaction equation you should be able to compute the amounts of chemicals, needed for making e.g. 1 gram of iodoform.

I do not do the computations here (I leave that as an exercise for you guys) but roughly speaking you can say the following:

For each gram of iodine take 1 ml of acetone (large excess) and half a gram of sodium hydroxide (large excess). Dissolve the iodine in the acetone and then add 10 ml of water. Dissolve the sodium hydroxide in another 5 ml of water and add that to the solution. Almost 0.5 grams of iodoform precipitates. This can be scaled up.

If you don't have iodine but potassium iodide:

Take 1.4 grams of potassium iodide. Add 10 ml of 10% HCl or 10% H2SO4 and dissolve all KI. Add excess amount of H2O2 (e.g. 10 ml of 3% H2O2), such that all iodine precipitates and only a fairly light brown solution remains. Let iodine settle, decant the solution, add a lot of water, let iodine settle again, decant the water, and then add 1 ml of acetone. Swirl and let as much as possible dissolve. No need to have all of it dissolved, the iodine is somewhat flocculent and is not compact.
Add 10 ml of water and then add the 5 ml of NaOH-solution with 0.5 gram of NaOH. Just over 0.5 grams of CHI3 will precipitate. Again you can scale up.

If you don't have H2O2 use bleach as oxidizer instead, but assure that no excess is added. Excess bleach redissolves the iodine and will lead to chloroform and mixed haloforms. For this reason the use of H2O2 is highly recommended. Excess H2O2 does not redissolve the iodine.

Keep in mind that only 50% of the iodine is used. After precipitation of the CHI3 you can collect the remaining iodine with acid and H2O2 and use that to make more CHI3. See above in this thread.

Spread the CHI3 on a piece of filter paper to have almost all adhering water absorbed in the filter paper (coffee filter is perfectly suitable for this, but do not use paper tissue or toilet paper). Scrape the solid from the filter and allow to dry outside (not inside, the material has a strong hospital-like antiseptic smell).

CHI3 is easy to store and keep around and does not introduce any special risks in your home lab. Keep in a tightly closed little glass bottle in the dark. It can be used for some interesting experiments, but I would not make more than 5 grams or so. With 5 grams you can do all interesting experiments you might have in mind.

This reply should answer the U2U's I received recently about the making of CHI3.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2011 at 11:26

Thank you for your time woelen, I appreciate it. Me and mewrox99 both felt a dizzy and anesthesiated feeling on exposure to the impure iodoform. Do you think this is likely from the CHI2Cl and CHICl2 impurities we produced?

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 22-6-2011 at 02:49

I know that CHI3 itself does not induce a strong reaction, unless a lot of this is inhaled. In the past it was used as antiseptic and the people treated with this almost certainly did not have such strong adverse effects.

So, I think that indeed the other mixed halogen compounds cause the dizziness.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top