Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: selling off my Hg
digitalemu
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 22:29
selling off my Hg

Have a bit(several hundred ml's) of tripple distilled Hg I would like to offload. 100g / $50 + S/H. USA and Canada only.
Just don't need as much anymore.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 02:56

That's quite expensive to say the least. Last price I remember was like 30 dollars/kg.
digitalemu
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 05:48

Quote: Originally posted by a_bab  
That's quite expensive to say the least. Last price I remember was like 30 dollars/kg.

That price would only apply to an entire flask worth of Hg. Go ahead and buy a flask with 35kg of Hg but that's a lot of Hg to have around. As well, that much Hg has to go freight and in many cases FOB from distributor and frieght is not cheap these days. Smaller amounts are going to be more just like everything else for sale on the planet all due to requiring more handling. Sure, you can probably buy a truck full of potatoes for $300 but most people are ok paying a premium for a 5-10 pound bag of them. It would be nice to be able to offer something up to people without the cheapness oozing out of this board.... Don't like the price, then just don't buy it.

[Edited on 26-5-2011 by digitalemu]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 06:28

Your remark about large quantities is not true. Here we have a lab supplier (who sells to the general public), who sells mercury for EUR 20 per 100 grams. This is $27 .. $28 per 100 grams, just over half the price you are asking.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
digitalemu
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 06:32

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Your remark about large quantities is not true. Here we have a lab supplier (who sells to the general public), who sells mercury for EUR 20 per 100 grams. This is $27 .. $28 per 100 grams, just over half the price you are asking.

Well then you are very lucky to have someone in europe that does. Like I said, oozez :)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 07:01

So, since airfreight is kind of out, surface shipping must be like what, say, 20 dollars . . . ?

digitalemu
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 07:24

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
So, since airfreight is kind of out, surface shipping must be like what, say, 20 dollars . . . ?

I don't know, it depends on the address.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 07:28

There is a world of difference between asking price and bidding price, ASK and BID. Nobody is under any obligation to buy or bid. A product is worth whatever somebody will pay for it. Sellers are much more attuned to price reductions when they are actually talking to a buyer with money ready.

The fluctuations of the metal commodities recently bear this out.
digitalemu
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Wizard  
There is a world of difference between asking price and bidding price, ASK and BID. Nobody is under any obligation to buy or bid. A product is worth whatever somebody will pay for it. Sellers are much more attuned to price reductions when they are actually talking to a buyer with money ready.

The fluctuations of the metal commodities recently bear this out.

I absolutely agree, and if someone was ready with money in hand I would definitely be willing to barter and if someone was wanting more than simply 100g I would definitely take that into consideration as well. I never said that the price I was asking was the only price I was willing to sell at but instead of seeing if I would barter all I get is cheap remarks about the price.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 09:41

Come on guys, nows your chance to buy 100g of mercury! That doesn't happen every day. Don't worry about the price, its fine.

My concern is it turning into an heirloom no one will know how to get rid of. Could always put it in a nice Pyrex media bottle for my shelf

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble

Go To Top