Author: Subject: MSDS sheets?
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 11:21
MSDS sheets?

There is a nice website,
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/

however it obviously isn't going to have everything.

I've been trying to get some alcohols, methanol, ethanol, etc... from winshield washer fluids. Right now I have Power Blast stuff, but cannot find a msds of it for content. I've seen everything from <10 - >95%....

I think also, that my search engines are acting against me. They keep showing me very, very strange web pages with stock tickers and such - not anything close to what I need.

Also, I know methanol is very toxic if ingested, but to what degree does its toxicity carry over in vapors? I do not have a fume hood and don't think I could do this outside, although I do have a closed glass system. ..

I may be abondoning methanol all together, or just get the concentrate from which I am sure is available (no distilling).
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  

Also, I know methanol is very toxic if ingested, but to what degree does its toxicity carry over in vapors? I do not have a fume hood and don't think I could do this outside, although I do have a closed glass system. ..

MSDS's are written by lawyers, search elsewhere.

Google only yields 2 660 000 hits for methanol toxicity.
Methanol vapor toxicity - 446 000.
Methanol vapour toxicity - 550 000

sternman318
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 12:42

Look for Heet

http://www.amazon.com/28201-Gas-Line-Antifreeze-Water-Remove...

They sell it at my local Auto-Zone in the fuel additives aisle.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 18:09

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  

MSDS's are written by lawyers, search elsewhere.

Really? I didn't know, but always wondered why they were so extreme.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 18:19

J. T. Baker's MSDS's are usually fairly accurate, they state danger and toxicity at an appropriate level.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 18:29

Quote: Originally posted by redox  
J. T. Baker's MSDS's are usually fairly accurate, they state danger and toxicity at an appropriate level.

That's what I usually use. They seem fair enough, but I have seen some extreme ones.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
bob800
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 19:54

Quote: Originally posted by redox  

Unfortunately, their website seems to have changed and their MSDS's are no longer available (They're now "Avantor")! Some of them are still saved in Google's cache, but many of them are inaccessible.
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 21:11

Material safety data sheets do not always detail whats in the product because if it is non hazardous not disclosing whats in it is allowed, to stop people from copying your product. Hazardous products you only have to disclose the hazardous ingreadiences and then to 100% is the non hazardous ingreadience which you will still not have to disclose.
But with products that are clasified dangerous goods all ingreadiences have to be disclosed , as well as the manufacture has to be contactable all of the time from the poisons information centre or hospitals or doctors.
This is required under the new 17 header msds sheets which is now standardised across the world.
Lawers do not prepair msds sheets the only thing they do is prepair the disclaimer section which is used on all of the manufactures msds sheets.
The clasifacation of products is done by the manufacture ,this is based on the amount of each ingredient used which all ingrediences have concentration cut of levels for each clasification ,ex phosphoric acid used above 10% would be r34 corrosive between 5% and 10% would be an irritant r 36 r37 and under 5 % would be non hazardous.
And formulars are used to work out what the clasification is ,and the manufacture also has to take into account the syngistic affect of these ingrediences.

REGARDS AZO
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 22:49

I actually dislike MSDS sheets. I only sometimes use them to look up physical properties like appearance, boiling point, solubility. Frequently these are mentioned in an MSDS sheet. Otherwise, they are not interesting for me.

MSDS sheets are written with the worst case scenario in mind, e.g. a multitonne leakage of the chemical near a 1000+ C fire. They also are written with industrial workers in mind, who work with the compound 8 hours per day as part of their job. Even table salt then becomes toxic and gloves and respiratory protection are needed even for table salt under such conditions, due to dust inhalation and skin irritation.

MSDS sheets usually list incompatibles. I have tried many incompatible combinations, mentioned in MSDS sheets, but most of them do not give a reaction at all. Maybe at a few hundred degrees or when mixed in multitonne quantities, but not in my test tubes ;)

So, if you read MSDS sheets, take them with a big grain of salt.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2011 at 01:53

The msds sheets are not so important for people like yourself but are very important for end users with very little knowledge .
for example if using products with volatile solvents in them like glycol ethers or ammona and so on in confined spaces this is very dangerous ,This is why a msds list (twa) and (stel) so the user understands how much of this chemical they can be exposed to in a given area or amount of time. Not to mention getting serious burns. I meen to say you would not put your hands in a solution that contained 30% potasium hydroxide 18% sodium metasilicate 10% glycol eithers you do not need to be told what this would do to you as you are awair of this but end users are not.As you no corrosive compouds in solution are far more dangerous ,the biggest thing with any end products is not to drink it or get it in your eyes but this does often happen unfotunently to children and for a doctors point of view,whats in the product and concentraitions is very importent for treatment If the doctor did not have msds available and i child drinks chemicals you only have to imagine the outcome.
And you are right about the incompatability section but this is not always the case,and the decomposition products are very important for fire fighters when they turn up at a large fire to no what breathing equipment needs to be used and whether to evacuate people,and further more if a truck overturned into or near a water way and there were chemicals that are dangerous to marine life there are procedures for the containment and neutralisation of these products.
And about the table salt is not correct ,it would only require safety equipment for things that could have an impact on the user ,bottled water does not have a msds sheet does it.
the reason this is listed like that is because the msds has a standard set of requirements for non hazardous products and you would not want to change this imformation for every non hazardous ingredience.
I think telling people to take msds with a grain of salt is very dangerous and not responcable to the audiece at wide ,not everyone is as informed as you are,and i think everyone can get some information from msds at some time.

regards azo
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-6-2011 at 02:50

I still say to read these MSDS sheets with a grain of salt if you are an occasional user of the compound in a small scale lab setting (or home user setting). Your examples in your last post demonstrate what I said before. You are talking about an overturned truck which looses chemicals. You are talking about fires of large size where special precautions must be taken when these fires must be extinguished. But these all are disasters of industrial size where you are talking about tonne scales.

Do you really think that a fire fighter who comes in or near a burning house and there is a few 100's of ml of some toxic chemical cares about that? The massive amounts of what people call ordinary material (wood, carpets, plastics, etc.) and the smoke released by the smouldering and burning of that really overwhelmes the small amount of vapor of your toxic chemical. Of course, while writing this I assume that the average home chemist does not have hundreds of kilos of toxic or otherwise hazardous chemicals in his house. Somewhere else on sciencemadness I read about a guy having 500 kilo of KClO3 under his bed, but this is an extreme (and in my opinion bad) example of how things should not be done.

Summarizing: Use these MSDS sheets, they can provide useful information, but do not apply all of the information to your situation as an occasional small scale user. Use common sense while interpreting the data in the sheets.

Really good information on the risks of chemicals in a small scale lab setting unfortunately is not available in a standardized way. Such information certainly is available for almost every chemical, but there is no single source with authority, which covers all (common) chemicals or classes of chemicals.
The best way to keep yourself and your family happy is to work on a small scale (test tubes, tens of milligrams instead of grams). Even with rather toxic materials or highly flammable or explosive materials no real bad things can happen when working on a microscale. And use basic protection, like glasses, good ventilation (better: work outside if working with stuff like Cl2, Br2, H2S) and only non-flammable materials on your workbench.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top