Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is it fentanyl analogs or derivates?
xionoland
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2011 at 15:42
Is it fentanyl analogs or derivates?

Hello. I am wondering if fentanyl analogs like alphamethylfentanyl is analogs or derivates of fentanyl? I find this description about the differents of analogs and derivates written by a scientist:

For Drug discovery scientists in no longer Serendipity. They are always looking for modifications of existing drugs, potential leads etc. For a medicinal chemist, derivative means a side chain change (modification) like from a alcohol to ester.
Analogue means that there is a modification in the backbone/Core structure it self. E.g a Core with napthalene ring modified to have core with Quinazoline. (just an example)
You can also refer to this nice book if you really want to understand all about analogues

Analogue-based Drug Discovery Wiley Publication
IUPAC (Editor), Janos Fischer (Editor), C. Robin Ganellin (Editor)
ISBN: 978-3-527-31257-3
Hardcover 606 pages March 2006
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 23-6-2011 at 01:08

Analogue-based Drug Discovery Wiley Publication
Janos Fischer (Editor), C. Robin Ganellin (Editor)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://ifile.it/4rx5to

* Publisher: Wiley-VCH
* Number Of Pages: 606
* Publication Date: 2006-03-31
* Sales Rank: 406236
* ISBN / ASIN: 3527312579
* EAN: 9783527312573
* Binding: Hardcover
* Manufacturer: Wiley-VCH
* Studio: Wiley-VCH
* Average Rating:
* Total Reviews:

Book Description:

The first authoritative overview of past and current strategies for successful drug development by analog generation, this unique resource spans all important drug classes and all major therapeutic fields, including histamine antagonists, ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, opioids, quinolone antibiotics, steroids and anticancer platinum compounds.

Of the 19 analog classes presented in detail, 9 are described by the scientists who discoverd them.

The book includes a table of the most successful drug analogs as based on the IMS ranking and compares them in terms of chemical structure, mode of action and patentability.

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-6-2011 at 10:39

Quote: Originally posted by xionoland  
For a medicinal chemist, derivative means a side chain change (modification) like from a alcohol to ester.
Analogue means that there is a modification in the backbone/Core structure it self. E.g a Core with napthalene ring modified to have core with Quinazoline. (just an example)

Speaking as a medicinal chemistry, I don't think this definition is quite accurate. For me at least, and for the other medicinal chemists with whom I converse, a "derivative" of fentanyl would be something that was synthesized from fentanyl - ie, from a reaction or reaction sequence that had fentanyl as a starting material. An "analog" of fentanyl would be something that has a structure similar to fentanyl and that might be assumed to interact in the body the same way that fentanyl does. It might and might not be synthesized from fentanyl as a starting material.

So some analogs of a compound might also be derivatives of that compound, and many derivatives of a compound would be considered analogs of that compound.
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 19:41
In the US...

for legal matters on this topic we have:

The Analog Drug Act

Now it's a legal definition. It's to cover any change to a base structure (eg. 3,4,5 trimethoxyphenylethylamine to 3,4,6). That way drugs can't be made legal by keeping them one change ahead of current legislation.

I say the above is how I always thought of analog. Derivative, on the other hand, implied it came from a common "source". Though I would guess lots of times these two would thus overlap.
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 07:07

yeah but when you look at how the analog act is enforced the law is so vauge it's done on a case by case basis.
it has to meet 2 of 3 prongs.
1 structurally similar
2 pharmacologically similar
3 intended to be used/sold as a drug.

so you get around this by deviating from the strict federal definition of an "analog"
like one methyl group off for example
you make a homolog
several carbons and oxygens tacked on = legal as sea salt
you have to proove 2 and 3

the law really is'nt being vigorously enforced right now.
there have been a few examples made to scare everyone else.
as long as you don't advertise it online and chat with some dea agent about how it gets you high, it makes the case an uphill battle.

Go To Top