Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tired of reporting spam
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 23:09

If two established members report spam with the single word, "spam" then it activates a script to delete all posts/threads by that user and bans the account.
For most efficient use
1. Make sure you include the word, "spam"
2. Do not post anything in the thread
3. Take a look at the view count and try to target threads that are likely to have been reported already.
4. You only need to report one thread per username.

Admittedly the script is not always effective. There are a few known issues and possibly some unknown issues. But when it runs the spam is vaporised pretty quickly.

So, yes. Spam reporting does work. It is vastly preferable to leaving it there, logging off and coming back later. If everyone reported a couple of spammers per visit then the board would be a lot cleaner. As it is, yhere are probably only 20 or so members who are regularly reporting but I know there are plenty more frustrated with the problem.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 00:29

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
If two established members report spam with the single word, "spam" then it activates a script to delete all posts/threads by that user and bans the account.
For most efficient use
3. Take a look at the view count and try to target threads that are likely to have been reported already.

Admittedly the script is not always effective. There are a few known issues and possibly some unknown issues. But when it runs the spam is vaporised pretty quickly.

So, yes. Spam reporting does work. It is vastly preferable to leaving it there, logging off and coming back later. If everyone reported a couple of spammers per visit then the board would be a lot cleaner. As it is, yhere are probably only 20 or so members who are regularly reporting but I know there are plenty more frustrated with the problem.

Is that what "TestAccount" is for?

Reporting spam feels like trying to empty out the Pacific Ocean with a spoon. Who wrote the script anyway? And in what language?

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 00:30

For most efficient use

You forgot to mention how satisfying it is when you report a spammer and their stuff disappears.
Folk might lie to try it.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 04:50

That means spams won't go away if I report spams everyday while keeping myself logged in for a long time?

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 05:50

@fusso
Sorry if i was unclear. Report spammers. Every bit helps.
streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 07:17

I thought there were 3 types of member the spam deletion script considered:

Admins/Mods
Trusted reporter - A hard coded list of members
Established members - a member for 6 months and 50 posts?

A spam report from a single admin/mod triggers deletion.

A spam report from both a trusted reporter and an established member can also trigger the deletion script.

I may be wrong but this was my understanding.

The script I wrote should escalate the spam report from a single member when the post has spam-like features. Hopefully this can be deployed soon. It does seem like the spam is getting worse.

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by streety] Yesterday was anomalous with spam sticking around for an unusually long time.

The trend is troubling though. Both the number of spam posts and the time taken to delete them is increasing.

spam_posts_per_day_20181007.png - 163kB spam_posts_durations_per_day_20181007.png - 130kB

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by streety]
fusso
International Hazard

mad.gif posted on 7-10-2018 at 08:16

Why can't we have the report function to also target the user alongside with individual posts (ie report the user directly, instead of his posts)??:mad:

Edit: the spambot OFFERVEASSIDA has spammed almost 50 posts up till now and I think someone would be interested to investigate about it.

[Edited on 07/10/18 by fusso]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 10:28

So...anyone who quickly spams or sock puppets 100 posts can delete anyone they choose and all their posts, eh what?

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 10:58

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  

So...anyone who quickly spams or sock puppets 100 posts can delete anyone they choose and all their posts, eh what?
I dont't think any trusted members would want to delete another real member unless they want to revenge?

Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:12

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

I dont't think any trusted members would want to delete another real member unless they want to revenge?

No but a spammer quickly creating 2 accounts and spamming 100 posts with each account would give him the power to delete any account. Scarry, I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Apart from that, it gives me confidence that reporting spam actually is useful (at least when I'll have 100 posts. Gotta spam till I get there :P)
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:17

@ fusso, did you nominate yourself member of the day? Really?
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:24

The 100 I mentioned is 2x50. So there's a 6 months thing too? Long before the spam and even more so now I'm convinced there is at least 1 person here who could meet this standard even if it required 5 members, probably also responsible for the spam.

BTW I did this with OFFERVEASSIDA's oldest post and if I had any effect, apparently OFFERVEASSIDA reregistered immediately, or the script only deletes posts made before the report. EDIT: the situation is fluid...never mind.

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 12:52

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  
Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

No but a spammer quickly creating 2 accounts and spamming 100 posts with each account would give him the power to delete any account. Scarry, I'm not sure that's a good idea.
No, I mean only members in the 'trusted' group in Polverone's list, not 'semi'-trusted. Therefore spamming 100 posts won't give you such status.

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 12:59

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
@ fusso, did you nominate yourself member of the day? Really?
Yes... but a few days ago:P

And how come this OFFERVEASSIDA can still spam posts after all its posts deleted?!(ノ#`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

[Edited on 07/10/18 by fusso]

streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 15:29

My understanding is that the automated deletion script has some hard limits. Some are deliberate and others are limitations.

I think it only works for new members (a day old?) so even if two members with trusted reporter status decided to go rogue they couldn't delete the account of anyone posting here. I think I'm the newest member and it would need to be a deliberate action by an admin.

The limitation is it can only handle certain types of posts. OFFERVEASSIDA both created new topics and also posted to existing topics which is more unusual. I think if a spam account posts to a topic and there are then posts from a legitimate member the automatic script is unable to delete it.

I hope my comment did not alarm anyone. The script seems to be quite conservative and the risk is, I think deliberately, weighted towards not deleting a spam member rather than erroneously deleting a real member.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 15:52

Quote: Originally posted by streety  
My understanding is that the automated deletion script has some hard limits. Some are deliberate and others are limitations.

I think it only works for new members (a day old?) so even if two members with trusted reporter status decided to go rogue they couldn't delete the account of anyone posting here. I think I'm the newest member and it would need to be a deliberate action by an admin.

The limitation is it can only handle certain types of posts. OFFERVEASSIDA both created new topics and also posted to existing topics which is more unusual. I think if a spam account posts to a topic and there are then posts from a legitimate member the automatic script is unable to delete it.

I hope my comment did not alarm anyone. The script seems to be quite conservative and the risk is, I think deliberately, weighted towards not deleting a spam member rather than erroneously deleting a real member.
A better way is to move the reported posts to a hidden forum and have the mods decide whether that's spam or not. And make trusted members immune to being deleted completely.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 11:14

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what's going on at the moment spam-wise.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 13:22

Well, woelen just gave me spam-fighting powers, part for fighting spam and part for the continuing board transition. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Now every time I switch pages, I have a whole bunch of new U2U messages from posts that have been reported, and in most cases, that no longer exist.

But I'd had some ideas for finding and destroying spam in the works, so now I can actually implement them.

I know Kung Fu.

:cool:

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 14:15

Would it be possible to have the forum software automatically delete:

1. posts in Russian?
2. posts with the word sex in the title?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 14:21

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Well, woelen just gave me spam-fighting powers, part for fighting spam and part for the continuing board transition. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Now every time I switch pages, I have a whole bunch of new U2U messages from posts that have been reported, and in most cases, that no longer exist.

But I'd had some ideas for finding and destroying spam in the works, so now I can actually implement them.

I know Kung Fu.

:cool:
Wow congrats Melgar! Now you can help reduce j_sum1 and tex's pressure!

streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 19:49

Congrats Melgar!

You probably already know but I think you can turn the alerts off in the profile.
XEvilBestSmilk
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 07:56
XEvilBestSmilk has just been re-registered and retired by WGTR

Now the password for this spammer's username will be scrambled with random alpha-numeric characters and animal shapes. Good riddance.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 10:23

Quote: Originally posted by XEvilBestSmilk  
Now the password for this spammer's username will be scrambled with random alpha-numeric characters and animal shapes. Good riddance.
So you think you can fool us by pretending a spambot, PhD?

Sciencemadness Discussion Board - Tired of reporting spam - Powered by XMB 1.9.1.png - 24kB

[Edited on 18/10/09 by fusso]

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 11:15

No, that was actually me, haha.

That was a particularly obnoxious spammer that I took certain liberties with after I reported it's posts. Once the spammer's posts are removed the account itself is deleted. I simply re-registered the same username to prevent the spammer from reusing it, and then made one post to discourage Bert from deleting it as part of a sweep on zero-post accounts. I do this sometimes when the same name is constantly being registered over and over again. I find this activity to be therapeutic. What kinds of activities on ScienceMadness do you find to be therapeutic?

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 11:35

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
No, that was actually me, haha.

That was a particularly obnoxious spammer that I took certain liberties with after I reported it's posts. Once the spammer's posts are removed the account itself is deleted. I simply re-registered the same username to prevent the spammer from reusing it, and then made one post to discourage Bert from deleting it as part of a sweep on zero-post accounts. I do this sometimes when the same name is constantly being registered over and over again. I find this activity to be therapeutic. What kinds of activities on ScienceMadness do you find to be therapeutic?
Well I think this question should be discussed in another thread haha:P

Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  28

Go To Top