Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tired of reporting spam
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 11:34

man it has been so bad lately I will log in just to report spam and not even read several times a day, and deff before bed. makes me pretty fraking mad, wanna shove their mouse then keyboard up someones rear! maybe followed by some superglue. and I think some of the posts, based on location, take longer to boot out. the ones in forum matters seem to hover around for a while longer than the rest if I am not mistaken, could just SEEM that way I guess though. ok, not gonna eat up my whole lunch break here, but man would it be nice to just be able to read in peace again.... like we use to when I first came here. I know it seems to come in waves then rescind with time. but it sure is distracting
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 11:38

It would be helpful if more people looked at 'today's posts', that's what I look at most, along w/ subscriptions.

violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 11:43

I spent a week and a half when I first found the forum, and went through each category looking at each thread. so now I pretty much only go to daily posts. unless working on a project, or recent daily posts are boring to my interest. so if spam is present, I see and report it

[Edited on 9-7-2014 by violet sin]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 15-7-2014 at 10:19

Strange, I just looked at some of the profile pages of the newest "members," and many of them are spammers with no posts that fill their bio section with similar gibberish to the spam posts commonly seen around the forum. Another really weird thing that I noticed from the two newest joiners (from today) was this weird sort of bio, and another one like it from earlier today with even more awful spelling and grammar errors. Not the typical spam. I did not bother to see what youtube video the first one was linking. Probably some advertisement or random crap.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 17:50

That was quite a run of spam. That one guy made it up to 34 posts.
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 17:58

Yeah, it was terrible.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 18:13

I stepped on the first 4 I saw, figured it was all one guy so he was gonna get kicked out quickly. something kinda rewarding about being the first to see and report a spam post, lol.
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 18:14

Yeah, I know that feeling.
:D

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2014 at 02:26

so I have noticed a lot of the spam is for a few brands only. here's my thought:

..1) nike air max (as an example) always buried in the text some where as a link in blue. there are a handful of other brand names as well.
..2) also we know members here aren't posting about these things unless it is here, to bitch, and never as links.
..3) we set limits on how many people it takes to report the thing for auto-deletion, to protect useful information by requiring a trusted members in combination with partially trusted member/s.

wait for it,..
..4) if no real member is posting about nike air max, could we...
......a) get the report button to check for a known name brand, from a list that the mods populated based on past spam?
......b) perhaps type in something like " spam: nike air max " on the report screen and have it auto checked for the a specific word/s?
......c) if you had to be extra convinced, you could have it to check if it had a link with that name,

all in the name of INSTANT death from ONE member, trusted or not :) so we could really fight back even late night with few members.

honestly I know nothing of how this would be done, it was just my idea of a way to pinpoint a thread as useless with out allowing loss of good reading. I personally know less than a rock about writing programs like this seems it would take, so may be totally silly question. but if it was possible, it would be nice.
-Violet Sin-
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 06:04

Late night is the worst. I'll be in my bed and spend waaay too much time reporting. I still don't know, am I "trusted"?

kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2014 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Late night is the worst. I'll be in my bed and spend waaay too much time reporting. I still don't know, am I "trusted"?

Trusted spammer ?
Yes.
By posting craps in idiotic "tired of reporting spam" you and your friends create spam not worst than "buy nike".

All you kids, playing the "reporting spam", act against this forum and make administration more and more lazy.
It is their job, to keep forum clean, not yours

Слава Україні !
Героям слава !
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2014 at 16:17

Quote: Originally posted by kmno4  
Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Trusted spammer ?
Yes.
By posting craps in idiotic "tired of reporting spam" you and your friends create spam not worst than "buy nike".

All you kids, playing the "reporting spam", act against this forum and make administration more and more lazy.
It is their job, to keep forum clean, not yours

Wait just a minute there bub. All we are doing is following the guidelines laid down BY the admins/mods.

As for age, do you really want to go there?

[Edited on 25-7-2014 by hyfalcon]
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2014 at 22:16

@kmno4 : gotta ask, what's your deal man?

.....Are you just plain tired of watching the thread pop up on the daily posts, while others attempt to help eliminate spam with out risking losing the good reading you obviously enjoy? Honestly I don't get it. I would think ANY member of science madness would be thrilled to make this a thing of the past, or a minor nuisance at least. It's not the mod's JOB'S to do any thing. Do we even have a revenue stream, are there people drawing paychecks, is there a central office I don't know about? Don't thinks so. this is a community of individuals that want to learn and grow, or are learning/learned, and have the good graces to share with others. As such we are pulling together to mitigate the issue.

.....I also second hyfalcon, in the age component implied. My birthday is on my profile free to view, and though I am neither ancient nor prepubescent, I am definitely at an age in my life to know that calling some one kid, is derogatory in the sense it confers stupidity and childishness. I know people don't go around calling me kid unless they also wanna poke me in the chest tauntingly, which is a very bad idea for them. This is no threat/promise/"you better not", kind of statement I write here. It is more of a, "I see what you are doing there, and I don't like it sir"

.....show some respect to others, and if you don't want to contribute to the spam problem, at least lay off those that do care. No interest in this topic should be equivalent to no comment. Do me a favor while your at it, don't go calling other members spammers because you see no value in their effort. And if you have some beef, feel free to drop me a U2U whenever. I am a very agreeable guy, seeking to make friends not enemies. What ever your deal, drop it or discuss it in an intelligent manner please.

again just my 2¢, I don't speak for any one other than me.
-Violet Sin- 35yo since it matters apparently
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2014 at 01:42

As for the age factor. I'll be 53 in less than a month. Still want to call me a kid?
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 11:58

Thanks guys. I just meant on the trusted list of spam reporters. No Idea why you had the outrage...
As for the age factor, I'll be a 'kid for a little while yet, but at least there'll be some younger people still interested in the integrity of the forum in a few years.

violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 13:49

age isn't supposed to matter here. follow the guidelines, like we have, and there should be no headache's. sure with age comes wisdom(some times), but youth can sure have a lot of enthusiasm often lacking otherwise! fresh eye's on old ideas is great. the forum is for every one, so why should it be a problem if everyone cares to help. it's not like we were overflowing the moderators U2U boxes with thousands of useless ideas, just been toying around in hopes of a manageable resolution to the spam. some of the ideas have been used, some just passed on by. no harm no foul.
-Violet Sin-
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-7-2014 at 07:13

How about automatically deleting accounts that have over a certain amount of numbers in them? Usually the really aggressive spam accounts (as opposed to the ones that don't actually post) have a lot of numbers in their usernames.

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 28-7-2014 at 12:09

I added some additional automatic deletion code 13 days ago. Manual spam reports serve as training data for automatic deletion, and accounts that match the automatic deletion criteria are removed without human intervention. I'm not going to explain how it works in public because the spam-zombies behind the keyboards might read my explanation and start working around it faster. In the 13 days since I added the code, I can say that about 17 additional spammers per day have been eliminated without human intervention. All of those deletions were accounts that actually made posts, rather than preemptive deletion of suspiciously-named accounts.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-7-2014 at 12:38

Ah, I see. It did seem like spammers tended to start disappearing faster in the last couple weeks.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 19:58

Wow, well that automatic deletion thing seems to be working perfectly. I have only seen one spam post since it was implemented, and it no longer existed by the time I hit the report button on it.
The only issue I have is that it still displays the spammer as the last poster in a subforum, which tends to be confusing when checking to see if there are any new posts. It's such a minor cosmetic issue though, if there's no easy solution, it's not something worth fixing.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 16:00

Please welcome our newest spambot, kjljlkkyR10. It's found a way to circumvent this auto-deletion code and it's nearing 30 posts.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 16:02

Well, strike my last... it seems like one somehow made it through and posted 28 times and counting. Not sure how that happened, but it seems like there might be one tiny hole in the automatic deletion system.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 16:06

We had another extremely aggressive spambot like this one previously. Look, it's spammed every single subforum:

sp@m.png - 116kB

sp@m2.png - 58kB

Oddly it stopped at 35 posts...

[Edited on 9.8.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 16:25

Yep, that's the one I was referring to. Posted over thirty times in the end, pretty awful.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 17:14

Please give us their IPs :) At the very least we can DDOS their proxy :)

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  28

Go To Top