Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Making NH4NO3 from Inexpensive Household Ingredients
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-7-2011 at 05:34

Successfully created PbO2 with standard household chemicals!

After dissolving my Lead source in weak H2O2/Vinegar (forming Lead Acetate), it was necessary to create an alkaline Pb salt. I added OxyClean, which contains Sodium Percarbonate (2Na2CO3.3H2O2) and Sodium carbonate as not every household has pure NaOH or Ca(OH)2 lying around.

I believed I saw some jelly like substance and added distilled water to the mixture to this very milky/foamy solution. After a few hours, I added an excess of NaClO. At first no obvious signs of a reaction (but a lot more foam), but within 6 hours deposits of a brownish-red salt (PbO2) appeared and foam was nearly gone. I was hoping for a larger yield but again my Solder is low in Lead (need better cheaper source).

I am investigating other paths to PbO2 as well as using only readily available ingredients keeping in mind the goal of oxidizing ammonia in a mildly acidic environment (which occurs, for example, using ferrate salts at room temperature).

[Edited on 24-7-2011 by AJKOER]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 07:53

A couple of points. First, one cannot treat PbO2 with H2O2 to remove NaClO, as it decomposes. I have perform this reaction (the red salt disappears and the PbO dissolves in the alkaline setting) and it is also cited in one reference, however, in an electrochemical setting. Reference: "Comparison of Lead Dioxide and Cerium Dioxide as Mediators for Carbon Paste Electrodes in Flow Injection-Amperometric Detection of Hydrogen Peroxide" by Bojana Mihić-Necin, Valéria Guzsvány, and K. Kalcher, page 145 (http://dspace.upce.cz/bitstream/10195/38248/1/Necin-MihicB_C...):

H2O2 + PbO2 --> PbO + H2O + O2

and apparently true also in a non-electricalchemical setting. Filter, rinse with distilled water and dry the PbO2 is the recommended procedure.

As to whether even PbO2 will oxidize NH4+ to a NO3- , I found an original work (master thesis) citing the creation of NO3- by treating NH4+ with excess HClO:"BREAKPOINT CHLORINATION AS AN ALTERNATE MEANS OF AMMONIA-NITROGEN REMOVAL AT A WATER RECLAMATION PLANT" by MATTHEW A. BROOKS, page 17, link:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-042299-143911...

Key reactions per the author include:

NH4+ + 1.5 HOCl --> 0.5 N2 + 1.5 H2O + 2.5 H+ + 1.5 Cl–

NH4+ + 4 HOCl --> NO3– + H2O + 6 H+ + 4 Cl–

I may use this last reaction as the basis of a new thread for the preparation of nitrates, however, assuming similar reaction paths (?) with PbO2:

NH4OH + 4 PbO2 --> HNO3 + 2 H2O + 4PbO

which is the creation of HNO3 as reported and with excess NH4OH, ammonium nitrate. Note, the reaction requires a large excess of PbO2 relative to ammonia to form Nitric acid and as long as the HNO3 is weak and not heated, the creation of significant soluble Lead Nitrate should not be an issue. This is in contrast to the cited corresponding reaction of HClO on say NH4Cl, namely:

NH4Cl + 4 HOCl --> HNO3 + H2O + 5 HCl

which is more of a dilute mixture of five parts HCl to one part HNO3.

[Edited on 25-7-2011 by AJKOER]
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 11:01

Interrestingly enough, if ozone reacts with ammonia gas, you will get ammonium nitrate.
2NH3+ 4O3--> NH4NO3+ 4O2+ H2O
All you need is an ozone generator and some household ammonia.

Hope this helped!
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 02:40

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Quote: Originally posted by sternman318  
One can buy non-jacketed bullets ( for ammunition manufacture) in, I believe, stores like Cabelas and possibly Dicks sporting goods. These are usually somewhat lubricated though and would require cleaning.
Lead for cast bullets is frequently alloyed with antimony to make it harder. Ditto for wheel weights. Lead for just its density, as with fishing weights, is less likely to have more-expensive-than-lead alloying agents added to it.

Stick on wheel weights rather than the clip on variety are pure lead. They melt at 600F plus, where the clip on form a eutetic(don't know if I spelled that right) melt at around 435 F. Something about the antimoney and tin they add drops the melting point of the mix.

[Edited on 23-7-2012 by hyfalcon]
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 07:54

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
Interrestingly enough, if ozone reacts with ammonia gas, you will get ammonium nitrate.
2NH3+ 4O3--> NH4NO3+ 4O2+ H2O
All you need is an ozone generator and some household ammonia.

Hope this helped!

You mean you bubble ozone gas through ammonia solution? Has anyone tried this?

BTW, I get
2 NH3 + 2 O3--> NH4NO3 + O2 + H2O

[Edited on 24-7-2012 by vmelkon]
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 10:53

The equation I gave is more correct because of the way ozone reacts; it will readily lose one oxygen atom and convert to diatomic oxygen, which under these conditions will not react any further. Thus the moles of ozone in, equals the moles of oxygen out.

I've never tried it, but it could be a nice whim to investigate, not for industrial production of course. I'd like to try it, but I don't have an O3 generator.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 17:14

Find you a neon transformer and build yourself one. They're not that complicated.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top