Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Radical solution to cosmetical problem
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:16
Radical solution to cosmetical problem

My genetic makeup makes that on my nose there are large pores which fill with fat secreted from the skin. Dirt sticks to the fat in the pores and it looks like my nose has black dots on it, not very estetic. :(
My nose contains in fact so much fat that when I try to press the fat out the nose begins breaking apart, and deform, since there is as much fat in it as there is "meat" and conective tissue.
But now I have studied chemistry so I have come up with a solution to my problem: I will stick my nose for sevral hours in diethylether. Then the grease and fat must disolve in the ether and my nose will be fine and fat- and grease free! What do you think about it?
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:23

This is a quick and sure way to a loss of brain cells. Placing your nose in a bit of ether for any period of time is not advisable, as one could lose conciousness rapidly. Also, the ether will evaporate too fast. I would reccommend something less volitile such as acetone. Instead of dunking your nose in there, wearing a patch would work better. Keep in mind that this will dry out your skin severely. Most likely to the point of it flaking off.

I am not sure that this will work, I am simply making revisions to your original idea.

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<b> <a href=\"http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEE41A2B1\">PGP Key</a> </b> 0C0A 7486 B97F 92EE AE50 A98C A4F3 087E 8CE9 A782
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:28

Post before and after pics!:D

But talk to a doctor first.

What if, what is isn\'t true?
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:36
Hmmm....

..before this day I thought: "I will do it nothing can happen." But I have made misstakes like this before when i thought "Nothing can happen" so this time I thought "..even if nothing can happen lets ask the guys at sciencemadness.org first.

And He he Yes ofcourse I forgot that...

"Placing your nose in a bit of ether for any period of time is not advisable, as one could lose conciousness rapidly. "

Thanx for saving my brain I could use it some day to something usefull...
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:40

Chlorinated hydrocarbons are the best defatters as far as I remember....
Chloroform, DCM, perchlorethylene etc.

If using chloroform you will have to work fast of course :D

If you are not joking, disregard this post please, yes?

:o

Irgendwas is ja immer
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:44
Cancer?

Isn´t there any risk of cancer from DCM?
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 13:36

Why dont use plain ol´ denaturated ethylalcohol?

Not expensive and works as it is the active part of all this clearasil or similar stuff.

All chlorinated hydrocarbons are suspected carcinogenes.

Irgendwas is ja immer
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 13:48

Besides being carcinogens chlorinated hydrocarbons are toxic because of the chloro group. The smaller the number of chloro groups the less the toxicity. Don't try chloroform!

I would suggest leaving it as it is or else if you really intend to do something use ethanol or any commonly available and non-toxic organic solvent. I still am not suggesting you would try these out.

Btw, after removing the fat in any way mentioned, the body will start rebuilding its deposits (at the adipose tissue). Nothing can be done for this, except experimental gene therapy I suppose :P Just kidding. Someone should come out with this topic of gene therapy someday.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 14:12

Hold off with the 'solvent extraction' ;-) Even if it removed some of the oil and 'fat' it could cause more damage than it stops. Priority number one: check with a dermatologist. If a doctor isn't an option, try looking for solutions on the internet. I've had the same problem all my life, and mistreating your face and nose can cause long term scars. If you are determined to try the 'do it yourself' method try using a dental waterpick filled with warm water. Wear glasses so you don't shoot your eye. Many over the counter products will help remove the oil and prevent bacterial action , try them. Stay away from the solvents.
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 14:32
I like radical selfmedications

Since I was 13 i have removed brown spots on the skin with NaOH solution, I have also used acetone and sandpaper to remove some red prix from my forehead with great success.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 15:15

It seems you carry your title "hazard to self" with right.....
:o

Irgendwas is ja immer
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

cool.gif posted on 19-3-2004 at 15:29
I dunno...I've read the first post in this thread....

I think maybe "hazard to self" should be replaced with"Ladies Man"

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Al Koholic
Hazard to Self

Mood: Seeking ligand

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 19:19

Nah...both are applicable hehe!

Are you sure this is adipose tissue related though? I mean, it doesn't seem that way to me. I believe that it is mostly sebum (the oil produced by sebaceous glands in pores) catching dirt...most likely from you touching your face too much.

I like the waterpick idea to be honest. Or else maybe you can try those strips that pull out the oil deposits. Oh...I can't remember any of their names but you wet them and then place them on your face to dry. When they dry, they are attached to the oil/dirt and when you remove the strip slowly it pulls out the crap. Ive seen this on TV, but apparently it works.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 19:25
self-medication

My sons gave me a Dremel tool (30,000 rpm) for Christmas. I was so impressed with it I have considered doing my own dentistry.:D
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 21:43

On the topic of self surgery, dremel tools are quite handy. Using a dremel tool and a cutoff wheel I once dispatched my ingrown toenail with efficiency.

On the topic of removing bodily fats with solvents, I would hold off on that one. I've seen duct tape with a thin layer of white glue work before. Apply, dry, and (for the sake of rhyming) cry. Might not feel the best coming off. Seemed to work for clearing pores.

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<b> <a href=\"http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEE41A2B1\">PGP Key</a> </b> 0C0A 7486 B97F 92EE AE50 A98C A4F3 087E 8CE9 A782
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 05:05

Al Koholic I think the adipose layer is one of the problems since he said that

Quote:

My nose contains in fact so much fat that when I try to press the fat out the nose begins breaking apart, and deform, since there is as much fat in it as there is "meat" and conective tissue.

You are also right stating that sebum is also another probelm because of the dirt sticking to his nose. This problem also cannot be solved by solvents removing the oil layer, since it would reform in a relatively small time.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 06:44

The water pick idea does work. Something I haven't tried, but should work is a paste made from cat litter clay, or the oil absorbing clay chips they use to clean up oil. They are made of attapulgite, montmorillonite and diatomite. I have seen this stuff pull motor oil out of concrete! Water doesn't even bead up on the spot afterwards. For facial use, the clay should be ground up into a paste with water, applied and then allowed to dry. I've found the water helps pull out the oil. I don't know why, but wetting the clay granules when they are on the concrete, and then allowing them to dry works the best. It works on concrete, but no guarantees on faces ;-) Best of all, it's 'dirt' cheap.:D
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 07:21

Wow! Pulling motor oil out of concrete! lol
Just immagine what it could do to ones face. The body needs oils. If the substances Mr. Wizard mentioned were used they could absorb so much oil to actually damage the skin. Then you will have to face another aesthetic problem (and a great one too I suppose).

The substances in that stuff probably absorb hydrophobic substances. Much of our dry matter is composed of these hydrophobic substances. As an example the phospholipids making the cell membrane, and membranes of other cellular structures are lipids (i.e. oils). What if these are absorbed too?! There are a lot other essential hydrophobic substances such as hormones (i.e. steriods made of cholesterol). And just to make you realize that the skin is not concrete, it is much thinner :P

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by Esplosivo]
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 07:31

The cat litter and 'oil dry' are considered non toxic, even in California ;-). Try it on oil stained concrete, you will be amazed. Remove the accumulation first with a putty knife, or scraper, then put a thin layer ( 1 cm ) over the stain and mist it with a spray of water. Wait a few days. Sometimes you have to repeat a time or two. I don't think it will cause any problem with a short contact with the skin, but I really don't know.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 08:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfram
Since I was 13 i have removed brown spots on the skin with NaOH solution, I have also used acetone and sandpaper to remove some red prix from my forehead with great success.

Omfg!! You've got to be one daring soul.

Anyways, I would DEFINATELY NOT use solvents.

The cat litter's debatable - sounds kinda nasty and you dont know what contaminants are in there (but if you do use it, make sure a cat didnt use it first :D)

Just go to Shoppers Drug Mart (if you live in North America) and get some mud masks. They're pastes that come in these foil packs. They work really well at cleaning oil off your face (A female would know cosmetics ;))
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 08:46
Thanx for your help

I didnt even knew there were electric toth pics. Do you know where I could buy one on the net?
I like the radical idea about the oil sucking thing. Maybee one could design a real cosmetical product based on this :)
But then I dont think we should use the sentence
"it pulls motoroil out of concreate" in the advertising if we want the ladies to buy it.

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by Wolfram]
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 08:53
I think it...

"Omfg!! You've got to be one daring soul. "

I think it sounds worse than it is if you are going to try some self-surgery like this, dont begin at your nose try first on your ass or some other not so important place.
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 08:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfram
I like the radical idea about the oil sucking thing. Maybee one could design a real cosmetical product based on this :)
But then I dont think we should use the sentence
"it pulls motoroil out of concreate" in the advertising if we want the ladies to buy it.

I definately would not buy it :D
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 08:56

The 'cat litter' may absorb the surface oil layer and may also be non-toxic. But what about allergic reactions to that stuff?!

LOL this stuff being used for cosmetics?! No, I don't think so. For these to be approved they must pass a dozen medical tests. Why not try it ourselves? Anyone contrary to animal testing? :P
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 08:57

*raises hand* Me, Me Meee!!! I like animals :P
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top