Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Back to Chemistry
User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 03:34
Back to Chemistry

After nearly 2 years now I want to return to amateur chemistry.
Due to personal issues ive done nothing in this field :(, ive gotten oxidized when it comes to basic knowledge.
I dropped out of lab school few years ago,I hate to admit but I lack the very basic understanding of chemistry.
This time I want to do it properly and have a deep understanding of the absolute basics of chemistry and the additional physics.
Can you people suggest some good books on basic chemistry,thermodynamics and so forth.

The internet is flooded with pdfs,makes it even harder to find some decent learning material,at least for me.
Please help me :P :)

Thanks for your time.

[Edited on 6-8-2011 by User]

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 05:43

I suggest going back to the very basics. There is a lot online, and in the SM library, but a lot of it is very specific to one area or another. Check out the caveman to chemist website. The material and projects in it were crucial to me in my high school years. They are well written, cover a good range of basics, and most importantly for me, it kept my interest peaked throughout. Just don't skip the unit factors and stoichiometry sections. See if you can get a hold of some highschool and college level textbooks for cheap. Often used book stores that are around community colleges are a good place to look.

<a href="http://cavemanchemistry.com/oldcave/">Caveman to Chemist Oldcave</a>

Note, there is a newer version of the site up. I am not familiar with it but it looks good. I worked through the old site (oldcave) several years ago. A good teacher pointed me to it.

[Edited on 6-8-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 06:42

Take a stroll around to your local high schools and talk to the science teachers and tell them your tale. When they get new text books in the old ones are relegated to dark over filled closets.

I've gotten several chemistry books for free this way.

Also chat up some people at the closest university - many places have nooks where people leave old text books for free.
User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 03:54

These are indeed good ideas, thank you.
@botonist haha it is indeed tempting to skip such subjects, I wont, I promise :D

What a fine day for chemistry this is.

Go To Top