Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fart!
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 22-3-2004 at 12:29
Fart!

I was wondering what would be the in side these things?

I remember a similar sort of thing a while ago when I was a lot younger called "Bomb Bags". You popped this little bag inside the bag and it built up pressure inside it till it popped.

I'm assuming this is the same principle, but with some extra chemical to give it a bad smell?

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Eliteforum]

All that glitters isn't gold.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 22-3-2004 at 19:27

Well, in all likelihood the popping mechanism is exactly the same. The one's that they sell in the vending machines by my house have a little liquid packet with either a sodium bicarb solution or a citric acid solution and a solid powder of the other on the outside. Who knows what they add to get the smell, I would guess that it would be the same thing in those little glass vials that give the skunk smell. I'm not sure what's in it, maybe some mercaptans, which you could just add in, however it is a weak acid reacting with a base, mix in some iron sulfide and make some H2S that would smell up the place, too bad it's so incredibly toxic but I wouldn't put them past using that in the old days.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 22-3-2004 at 19:50
Commercial Stinkbombs

Commercial stinkbombs (commonly made in Germany by one company) are ammonium sulfide, (NH4)2S.
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 24-3-2004 at 12:01

Yes that's it. Ammonium Sulphide is the common chemical found in those 'fart bombs'. Did an analysis on the composition of the powder of those things a while ago (had nothing nice to do).

Well, synthesizing this stuff is not at all difficult. Just bubble H2S gas through ammonium hydroxide. The end point of the reaction can be found using litmus paper or any other pH indicator. At pH 7 or less the reaction is ready.

Ammonium Sulphide really stinks badly, and is also toxic. It also seems to be flammable, and sort of fumes in air when it is pure. I remember using 5ml of this stuff placed in a small glass in a toilet. No way could anyone enter that place lolll. :D

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by Esplosivo]
quest
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 13:15

H2S is realy stinky
and you said its toxic so dont use it

and now you said to use Ammonium Sulphide but you said it toxic too

so what the difference?
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 21:10

H2S is a much more volatile gas. If the fart bomb is 'popped' (that seems more suited than exploded) in the open the H2S would diffuse too quickly for the smell to be percieved. Ammonium sulphide has a higher density and keeps the small lingering in the air for a longer time.

Btw, H2S is not that toxic and neither ammonium sulphide if handled carfeully and not in large bulks.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 07:58

"H2S is not that toxic "

Well, a whiff can make you drop unconscious just like HCN. It's very toxic actually.
forundretfrede
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2004 at 04:53
Toxic or dangerous?

The good thing about H2S is the smell. You want to leave the room well before the concentration is dangerous. HCN on the other hand does'nt smell very strongly, and has a tendency to dull your sense of smell.
Most sources say they are equally (very) toxic, but HCN poses a more serious danger.:cool:
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 30-4-2004 at 05:44

Quote:

The good thing about H2S is the smell. You want to leave the room well before the concentration is dangerous. HCN on the other hand does'nt smell very strongly, and has a tendency to dull your sense of smell.

Yes, H2S has a very distinct smell, however large quantities can quickly overwhelm your sense of smell and the smell completely goes away, making you thihk that you are in the clear. Then you die, that is the true danger of H2S. On the other hand hydrogen cyanide is supposedly only detectable to 1/3 of the population and therefore would seem to be the more deadly of the two, however because of this it seems better precautions are taken and HCN is rarely if ever used. Therefore in my opinion H2S is much deadlier.

Go To Top