Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reflux with Graham condenser?
Biochemscientist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2011 at 21:57
Reflux with Graham condenser?

Is it okay to perform a reflux with a Graham condenser? Are there any advantages of other condenser types over Graham condensers?
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2011 at 22:14

I don't think its recommended, as a reflux condenser will be more efficient and capable of handing large amounts of a liquid, while a graham condenser might become dangerously clogged, but I have used one before for smaller scale reactions and with a lot of cooling it worked quite well.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2011 at 23:11

UTFSE this has been discussed at length.First of all there is often confusion over what constitutes a graham.In a graham the vapour passes through the coil and water through the jacket.If you have one of these it is generally not suitable for reflux as it tends to flood and spit.Better an ahlin,freidrichs or plain old leibig.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 03:10

I prefer an ahlin for reflux. The graham can't handle enough condensate and spews it our of the top. An ahlin is efficient at condensing vapor and has enough diameter to allow the liquid to drain back down without pushing it out the top.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 03:41

As stated above, some condensers are better suited for reflux, your Graham condenser is unfortunately the worst choice for refluxing.

Among the best choices would be of course a Vigreux column, depending on the temperature and quantity of the solution you want to reflux, it's basically its only purpose. The Allihn is an excellent choice, and can be used with or without water running through it, depending on what you're refluxing.

My personal choice is the Friedrichs condenser, because of its particular shape, it's very well suited for refluxing, I actually use that type of condenser on top of my soxhlet apparatus. Again, it could be used with or without water running through it, and it makes for a really cool looking setup in a geeky sort of way.

Robert

[Edited on 19-8-2011 by Arthur Dent]

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---

Go To Top