Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Video lab tour/how to get chemicals
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 18:16

Quote: Originally posted by redox  
Yeah, plastic trays would be nice.
The venting is surprisingly good, the plexiglass sash blocks off air holes, preventing leaks.

As I said, the aluminium plays no structural role, it is really only for looks. The aluminium has shown to be relatively corrosion-resistant. I have filled the fumehood with chlorine gas, bromine vapor, nitrogen dioxide, some hydrogen sulfide, etc. The aluminium has shown little to no corrosion. I think it is anodized or something.

Ediminion, as a response to your youtube comment, the sodium is stored in an HDPE bottle, so even if it fell, it couldn't really break. The other poisons and reactive things are either in plastic or metal (mercuric chloride, lithium, etc.), so they couldn't break either.
Also, I will most likely be getting some sort of garbage bin soon.

The more chemicals you store, the more sticky residue you'll find around. It's inevitable. And you seem to be on the way of stuffing the shit out of your lab. :D
That's ok if there's venting.

Aluminium will corrode sooner or later, no matter it's anodized. I think HCl contributes the most to it, and we've all got lots of it. Also mercury. One college professor was telling me how his aluminium fumehood handle failed just because there was a bottle of mercury inside.
It takes years, but that metal crumbles. The vent duct will fail first. One day, you might consider replacing it with wide plastic pipes. It tends to be a bit expensive, but it lasts.

HDPE melts easily, and then ruptures and releases petroleum or whatever you store sodium in. That's why there a laboratory rule - pyrophorics are to be held in metal containers filled with dry sand. It might sound a bit paranoid, but there's a reason why it's a rule.

I'm planning to buy a small fire extinguisher and I recommend it to everyone. :)

redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 18:37

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
Yeah, plastic trays would be nice.
The venting is surprisingly good, the plexiglass sash blocks off air holes, preventing leaks.

As I said, the aluminium plays no structural role, it is really only for looks. The aluminium has shown to be relatively corrosion-resistant. I have filled the fumehood with chlorine gas, bromine vapor, nitrogen dioxide, some hydrogen sulfide, etc. The aluminium has shown little to no corrosion. I think it is anodized or something.

Ediminion, as a response to your youtube comment, the sodium is stored in an HDPE bottle, so even if it fell, it couldn't really break. The other poisons and reactive things are either in plastic or metal (mercuric chloride, lithium, etc.), so they couldn't break either.
Also, I will most likely be getting some sort of garbage bin soon.

The more chemicals you store, the more sticky residue you'll find around. It's inevitable. And you seem to be on the way of stuffing the shit out of your lab. :D
That's ok if there's venting.

Aluminium will corrode sooner or later, no matter it's anodized. I think HCl contributes the most to it, and we've all got lots of it. Also mercury. One college professor was telling me how his aluminium fumehood handle failed just because there was a bottle of mercury inside.
It takes years, but that metal crumbles. The vent duct will fail first. One day, you might consider replacing it with wide plastic pipes. It tends to be a bit expensive, but it lasts.

HDPE melts easily, and then ruptures and releases petroleum or whatever you store sodium in. That's why there a laboratory rule - pyrophorics are to be held in metal containers filled with dry sand. It might sound a bit paranoid, but there's a reason why it's a rule.

I'm planning to buy a small fire extinguisher and I recommend it to everyone. :)

I didn't show it in the video, but I have a big honkin' ABC fire extinguisher, which I store on the side of the hood.

The grease filter on the hood is eroding terribly, and it is aluminum. Small flakes of it are falling off into the workspace, which is quite annoying. I'll have to buy a new one soon.

I realize it's a risk, however small, but I don't think I'll be storing my sodium in a metal can with sand. I'm tempted to store my highly toxic things, e.g. mercuric chloride, in a special place, though, because I really do not want that stuff spreading around. It is currently shrink-wrapped in a plastic container, which isn't bad, but it makes me nervous thinking about it.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 22:36

hey redox nice lab, respect, i have to invest in some shelving to my lab look like less of a meth lab ill post pics when i come back from being outta town

starman
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 23:08

The ventilation is a regular range hood, like one that could be found in a kitchen.
[Edited on 2-9-2011 by redox]

You're not concerned with running flammable solvents through this? The dedicated thread to hoods relates quite some effort separating the turbine from the electrics.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 03:30

Quote: Originally posted by starman  
The ventilation is a regular range hood, like one that could be found in a kitchen.
[Edited on 2-9-2011 by redox]

You're not concerned with running flammable solvents through this? The dedicated thread to hoods relates quite some effort separating the turbine from the electrics.

I think starman may be right. I had a flash fire when using an in-line duct fan to clear fumes during a M.E.K. distillation. No injuries or structural damage, but scary as hell.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 14:49

I must tell you about a near disaster I just avoided. I had two boxes of Calcium Chloride, sold as dehumidifier refills, and as pool water conditioner. They came in heavily waxed cardboard boxes, similar to milk boxes . Since this material is basically non toxic, non combustable, and safe as dirt, I just put it on a shelf a few years ago and forgot about it.

Today I was going through some containers looking for a resistor to repair a radio, and found an oily residue on the plastic containers. After putting the container back, I happened to notice more oily residue on another container. It wasn't oil, it was calcium chloride that had absorbed water from the air, the solution soaked through the box and dripped down onto some plastic boxes.

Only good luck kept this stuff from dripping another foot downward onto a spectrum analyzer, and some other electronics. All this would have been avoided if I had put the material in better containers and put them in plastic tubs.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 15:12

I had a similar incident with CaCl2... deliquescence followed by leakage, which damaged a drywall ceiling panel on the floor below.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 20:32

Yes,,, mine worked its way through a 1/2" thick OSB shelf , a cheap type of plywood, and spread out. I can see the discoloration of the wood, but it still has integrity. It did soak into an empty paper box too, and ruined it. I can see how it would ruin paper.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top