Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toluene Directly to Benzene?
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 23-8-2011 at 18:41
Toluene Directly to Benzene?

I am planning a type of reduction-oxidation reaction where I can turn toluene to benzene. It is sort of a displacement...

C6H5CH3 + ??? => C6H6 + CH3???

All I need is something that will be sooo reactive it will take that methyl substituent right off the benzene ring! Or, at least it is possible in my imagination..... :P Benzene is nonpolar, toluene is polar, so stoiciometry and solubility (or miscibility) wouldn't be too much of an issue because benzene is hydrophobic. Hopefully CH3??? would be polar so it won't mix. I just need to find out what can break apart a carbon-carbon bond! Oh, brother! Any suggestions? No, I'm not crazy. And thanks in advance.

P.S. I also think Benzene would make the most beautiful name for a baby girl... who agrees? It can be shortened to Benny... I hope my wife would have a sense of humor when I decide our daughter's name will be Benzene...

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

TerryFlamingo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-8-2011 at 21:26

Oxidation of toluene, [and really, anything with a reactive proton at the benzylic position] typically results in benzoic acid: which you may be able to further oxidize to CO2 and Benzene. Although I don't know of any oxidizer that is potent enough to do so without substituting something back onto the ring.

What do you need Benzene for that Toluene is not adequate for?
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-8-2011 at 22:20

For goodness sake I wish people would use the search function.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4902#p...

Im assuming you need benzene as a reactant as they are few cases where toluene won't substitute.No need to reinvent the wheel,use a benzoate or benzoic acid which are relatively easy to obtain OTC.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 00:38

What is important about directly going from toluene to benzene? Are you trying to prove something or are you just trying to get Benzene? If you just want benzene oxidize toluene with KMnO4, acid work up to benzoic acid, dry distill with CaO.

The Benzene thread starman pointed out has some methods that might be what your looking for but oxidation, work up, and dry distillation will be your easiest way starting from toluene.

Even easier, buy benzoic acid, dry distill with CaO.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 08:02

You could try a friedel-crafts dealkylation disproportionation reaction. One could combine toluene with a lewis acid like AlCl3 or FeCl3, then fractionally distilling out the benzene. The friedel-crafts reaction is an equilibrium reaction, so distilling out benzene drives it to the right. The byproduct is xylene.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 09:00

I was hoping that I could get a nonpolar aromatic silvent for a reagent, and I was also hoping I could save of valuable reagents by doing so. I really don't want to use a whole bunch of KMnO4 to get a couple mLs of Benzene- but I have an overstock of toluene- so I was hoping that that could help...

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Bolt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 09:03

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
No, I'm not crazy.
Well, then you must be stupid.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 09:12

Quote: Originally posted by Bolt  
Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
No, I'm not crazy.
Well, then you must be stupid.

Is there some type of rule against flaming?

BTW: I am definately looking in to the aluminum chloride now... ;)

redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 09:14

Somewhere there was a thread about benzene production that detailed the freidel-crafts method, just so you know.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 09:20

Quote: Originally posted by redox  
Somewhere there was a thread about benzene production that detailed the freidel-crafts method, just so you know.

Awesome! I will look for it!

MeSynth
Hazard to Others

Mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZltqlVuDIo

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 16:52

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
What is important about directly going from toluene to benzene? Are you trying to prove something or are you just trying to get Benzene? If you just want benzene oxidize toluene with KMnO4, acid work up to benzoic acid, dry distill with CaO.

The Benzene thread starman pointed out has some methods that might be what your looking for but oxidation, work up, and dry distillation will be your easiest way starting from toluene.

Even easier, buy benzoic acid, dry distill with CaO.

What are the yields?
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 09:48

People, if you are directed to another topic, please spend your time reading that instead of posting superfluous comments here.

I'm closing this thread because this topic has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top