Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Worst fears when you're gone from the lab
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 14-9-2011 at 12:37

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
I never use it. Have you ever needed to use it?
The light switch to my lab is located two rooms away, so the sparks don't cause any kind of explosion, but other than that, no main switch.
I can't really think of any instance where you would need to shut off the power in the lab entirely. Shutting off power means you are also killing any electrical appliance that is responsible for ventilating the lab. If anything bad happens, your first reflex should be to:
1: mop up the spill
2: vent out dangerous fumes
3: neutralize the acid/ base spill
4: put out the fire

Shutting off the power would be last on my list, unless an electrolysis experiment got out of control. This can't really happen if you're using a power supply. If you're not using a power supply, you're just looking for trouble.

It's a general rule to power down the lab when leaving (so is shutting off the gas pipe), unless there's a fridge, of course. I'm used to it. Yeah, I've got a power supply.

[Edited on 14-9-2011 by Endimion17]

ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 16:41

I am afraid of the DEA, finding out my dad used something without my permission (something he'd do), finding out my mom tasted something in a beaker (she's done it before, I had a talk with her... luckily it was just a solution of sodium acetate... she said "I needed to borrow a beaker, and all of them had liquids- so to determine if you needed the liquid I tasted it..." Not a smart thing considering beakers are never fully clean and I work with mercury compounds...) or finding out a shelf came down while I wasn't looking.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 17:10

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
I am afraid of the DEA, finding out my dad used something without my permission (something he'd do), finding out my mom tasted something in a beaker (she's done it before, I had a talk with her... luckily it was just a solution of sodium acetate... she said "I needed to borrow a beaker, and all of them had liquids- so to determine if you needed the liquid I tasted it..." Not a smart thing considering beakers are never fully clean and I work with mercury compounds...) or finding out a shelf came down while I wasn't looking.

Oh my god... What if it was conc. H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>??? Your mom could have been badly hurt, she shouldn't even be using your glassware or being in your lab! What did she need it for? Never allow anyone to go there without permission...
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  

Oh my god... What if it was conc. H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>??? Your mom could have been badly hurt, she shouldn't even be using your glassware or being in your lab! What did she need it for? Never allow anyone to go there without permission...

I don't know about you guys, but I don't leave beakers of H2SO4 lying around. I usually use chemicals shortly after taking them out of their containers. One exception would be if I'm boiling down (or evaporating) a solution, drying out a precipitate, or waiting for a precipitate to settle.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by White Yeti]
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 17:20

Then talking about it online is not the smartest idea... just like tasting chemicals isn't...

barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 17:25

I don't know about you guys, but I don't leave beakers of H2SO4 lying around. I usually use chemicals shortly after taking them out of their containers. One exception would be if I'm boiling down (or evaporating) a solution, drying out a precipitate, or waiting for a precipitate to settle.

Yeah, neither do I, it was just an example of a dangerous substance. It may just as well be lead acetate in the process of evaporating, or settling barium chromate.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 17:31

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  

Then talking about it online is not the smartest idea... just like tasting chemicals isn't...

Tasting chemicals isn't the bad thing... Nothing would've happened if she wasn't in my lab. Why did she need a beaker? They are vertually useless for anything other than chemistry...

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 18:23

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  

Yeah, neither do I, it was just an example of a dangerous substance. It may just as well be lead acetate in the process of evaporating, or settling barium chromate.

If your mother tasted lead acetate I think it would be even worse than tasting sulfuric acid, since lead acetate is sweet, she could think its sugar and borrow some to make a dessert for you.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 20-9-2011 at 11:28

Quote: Originally posted by shivas  

If your mother tasted lead acetate I think it would be even worse than tasting sulfuric acid, since lead acetate is sweet, she could think its sugar and borrow some to make a dessert for you.

You usually add in the sugar as crystals, not as an aqueous solution. It's a scary thought nonetheless.
I hope no one has the brilliant idea to mix my iron salts into my food so as to "fortify its iron content".
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top