Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum
danoodle
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 21:08
Vacuum

I realize this is probably a very stupid questions...i'm actually a finance and entrepreneurship major, doing this for fun.

I bought a delavan diaphragm pump connected to a circuit board to an atx power supply. and the 12+ doesn't work while the pump says it's 12v so i had to put it on the +5

and it's only pulling a vacuum at about 14.17" hg, water boils over at 82.

theoretically, if i pulled a motorcycle battery and ran a charger on it and then had the vacuum at full power pulling a stated 60psi 18.9lpm 5gpm, how strong of a vacuum would it pull?

even more retarded question, i have the diaphragm pump in air, should i submerge it in water for a stronger vacuum?

i apologize if my questions are retarded, in return...republics and democrats' friends made millions purchasing U.S. debt that foreign investors dumped from fear of default. grand scheme using fear.
uchiacon
Hazard to Self

Mood: Financial

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 15:14

Yeah.. don't put it in water mate...
My main hobby is chemistry and my side hobby is finance/entrepreneurship as well, but I dont currently have a degree in either lol.

Sounds like a plan with that US debt ;)

Get a real vacuum pump, one or two stages off ebay. They're under $200US.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Before you find youself cheering for a new regulation, consider your reaction if you were to be on the receiving end.
DougTheMapper
Hazard to Others

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 10:00

It's likely not working on 12v because the supply cannot provide enough current. I wouldn't continue running it on 5v because there is a risk of burning the windings by undervoltaging the motor.

The battery/charger will work fine as a high-current ~12v source.

I'm confused by the spec that the pump can "pull 60psi". Absolute vacuum is only 14.7-ish psi... unless the spec is for max. outlet pressure or something. Got any images?

-DTM

Victor Grignard is a methylated spirit.
Cason
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 14:28

Get a 2-stage pump, preferably a Welches or better. I found one for $25 + shipping that pulled 1 torr with so-so connections. With some tightening up it eventually got down to 0.2 mm. It was rust inside from abuse and infrequent oil changes. The cast iron 2-stage pumps were made to stand up to a lot of demand. Run it as much as possible and use the best oil you can get. Do use a dry-ice or liquid N2 trap.

A little con H2SO4 will take care of most glassware grunge.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2011 at 04:29

Quote: Originally posted by DougTheMapper  
I'm confused by the spec that the pump can "pull 60psi".
Diaphragm pumps are largely bidirectional. That spec says that the output of the pump can generate a positive pressure of 60 psi.
Quote: Originally posted by danoodle  
and it's only pulling a vacuum at about 14.17" hg, water boils over at 82.
That's about -7 psi, which is typical for what a diaphragm pump is capable of. They're used, for example, for vacuforming plastics, where they have the advantage that the internal mechanism isn't contaminated by off-gassing.

You'll get better help if you tell folks what you're trying to do.
danoodle
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 13:01

is this ok?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3HP-ROTARY-VANE-VACUUM-PUMP-HVAC-A...
danoodle
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 13:10

ever since i saw that movie....road trip was it? or eurotrip. i forget, but it had that absinthe green fairy, and i always wanted to try it. so i thought i'd make it.

the recipe calls for anise extract, and i happen to have a neighbor who had a lot of glassware from distilling alcohol, took it off of him cheap.

i have a bottle of anise star oil from my ex gf who's a massage freak. so...lots of random pieces thrown together to attempt a green fairy puzzle.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 13:25

You want to distil massage oil under vacuum? Might I suggest just buying a bottle of absinthe?
danoodle
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 13:58

......it's only sold in europe. i'm in the States.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 14:35

I believe it is legal to order in the states, just not for bars or liquor stores to sell it.

Attacking it like this is like getting a juice pack and aiming to make Port... all of its special "effects" have been debunked; it just has a really high proof.

Or head up to Canada...
danoodle
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 15:32

....but there's no fun in buying it.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 06:11

Quote: Originally posted by danoodle  
....but there's no fun in buying it.
There's also no need for vacuum distillation. Atmospheric pressure works just fine.

If you want to get all scientific about it, though, do your initial extraction with a Soxhlet apparatus rather than just steeping.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 06:19

I'm with Neil, I've drank the stuff in France. Nothing but crappy tasting, strong booze. No psychotropic, euphoric, hallucinogenic, or aphrodisiac like effects. About the same feeling can be had from doing shots of Bacardi 151, Everclear, or any other ridiculously strong spirits.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
urbs
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 06:50

Just buy it. I run a bar in the US, we have Lucid absinthe behind the bar. To drink the stuff you have to make a green fairy which requires absinthe, a sugar cube and about 3 ounces of water. The ice water is dripped slowly over the sugar cube which is suspended above a glass containing about 1.5 oz of absinthe. The absinthe will lousche as the water is added. Lucid starts out at 124 proof. Tastes just like a black jelly bean.
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 07:25

@Doug the Mapper- Not to pick you apart, but there's no chance the ATX supply cannot deliver enough on the 12V line (I have not even seen an ATX supply capable of less than 5A, most are 10A or more), and there's also no damage which can occur to a motor which RUNS at a less-than-standard voltage... You can't burn out wires (so long as the motor is spinning, and doesn't require fancy cooling) without putting in more power than it's designed :P
danoodle
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 10:17

so the battery route works...
how about the ebay listing?

i found a 2Z628 speedaire large diaphragm pump in my dad's storage locker yesterday that only has a air oulet hole with a small hole perpendicular to it. I'm guessing it works like an aspirator if i wanted it to pull a vacuum?
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 10:19

Maybe check out this place before buying things?
danoodle
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 14:57

well, that could've helped before i bought things. what the hell am i supposed to do with the rest of the stuff now?

so the ebay listing is good?
xettek
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 10:10

while absinthe is available in the usa, it is not real. the psychoactive component of the drink is thujone, a chemical from one of the brewing herbs, wormwood/motherwort. it may only be used in tiny amounts if it is to be imported. most just skip the herb all together, or use a process similar to decocanization/decaffination to remove the thujone. the compounds alone has mild effects which tend to be unique for each person.

ime a hot tea with some grain alcohol steeped in fresh leaves provides for best effect, vs a small % present in absinthe. the effect is GREATLY exaggerated. there are no open eye or closed eye visuals like is shown in movies. it can cause a much more relaxed drunk tho. my best effect from it(the tea) was to open the world, made the clouds look more epic. maybe a twinge of 4hodmt freedom, but only the slightest. i was on the roof of a house and smoking canabis a s well, but the effect was synergized and unique from that of canabinoids.

what you can do is buy an imported brand and add the herb to it and let it be for a week. be warned, most cheap wormwood is mostly chaff and is bitter as hell compared to the fresh leaf. if you buy a rooted cutting of the net it only takes a few months to get enough to start making tea/alcohol with. the taste is far far superior. i was dumbfounded when i first tasted a purchased dry product as i grew a plant for quite some time.

hope this helps!
arsphenamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 08:25

Absinthe's proverbial thujone content greatly exceeds that found by Ted Breaux, who reverse-engineered absinthe from analysis of pre-ban Pernod et Fils absinthe. It and others' thujone content was under 10ppm or 0.001%.

To put this in perspective, fresh sage is roughly 0.25% α and β thujones, ca.2500 ppm, and sage oil is typically 40-60% thujones -- very toxic indeed.

Ted Breaux's analysis was that any thujone found in absinthe came from <i>dried</i> wormwood <u>blossoms</u>. Not content to analyze absinthe, he went on to obtain funding for a work space to house some reconditioned Pernod industrial alembics for production of the award-winning <i> Nouvelle-Orléans Absinthe Supérieure.</i>

Any additional psychoactivity of absinthe is from the mix of aldehydes and terpenes in the herbal decoction, a stiff dose of anisaldehyde being one of them.
uchiacon
Hazard to Self

Mood: Financial

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 15:58

Mate if you want a good party drug, get some safrole, PdCl2, benzoquinone and nitromethane...

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Before you find youself cheering for a new regulation, consider your reaction if you were to be on the receiving end.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 16:12

...or you could stay out of prison and just have some beers.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

Go To Top