Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: free power
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 06:16
free power

When I move into my perminemt house-the one I will retire and die in(if not on a battlefeild)-I want it to be run off my own power source. Not for the sake of saving money but just because I want to. Any ideas on how one might create a powersource that would run quietly, cheaply, effitiently? Solar can be used but not as the only source. The machine can not be huge. Keep it smaller than eight cubic feet(or about two cubic meters)

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Better than it used to be.

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 07:22

Fuel Cell(s)?
You could ferment and distill your own alcohol then let it trickle into the cell(s). Maybe not entirely 'free', but probably cheaper and maybe cleaner than other ways of generating electrickery. And fuel cells are quite small...aren't they?

Just an idea...
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 10:02
Some Serious Constraints

The maximum size specified imposes a very serious constraint.

What would be wrong with going with a 5-10kW portable diesel generator? If you are adamant about making it yourself, you can certainly make a small diesel engine.

If you would be willing to move to the country, and have access to running water, make a water wheel. The ancients did it for millennia. Wind power will always be around. Germany uses giant >10story windmills to generate over 3MW (in some) per mill. Truly amazing.

Solar power is certainly an option. In my opinion, power generation is not a matter of size, but rather a matter of location.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 10:24

Solar power + wind power, with an accumulator bank to smooth operations. You could have solar-->electricity panels covering your entire roof. I've been thinking the same thing (apart from the battlefield way to go).

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 10:36
by the way

Most diesel motors can be adapted to run off of peat moss oils and vegetable matter in general.
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 12:31

I read somewhere that a diesel engine can be run off e.g. corn oil without modifications. Perhaps I'm in error.

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 15:12

Diesel engine? I thought you want it quiet?

A Stirling engine is the way to go - they run on everything what burns, are quiet and run almost forever without needing repair/service. Of course should the remaining heat be collected and stored, there are designs for long-time heatstorage by saltwatertanks available, easy to build at low cost.

Regarding your idea of dying on the battlefield I want to make you consider the fact that much more soldiers/fighters are crippled/wounded than killed.

Irgendwas is ja immer
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 16:11
Hmmm.....

quiet, cheap and efficient.

I really feel that is an unrealistic expectation. All types of fuel is and will continue to rise in price. Even the "free" power sources, wind, solar and tidal generators need a great expenditure of power and labour to construct (hence expense)

Maybe, you might look at the niche in which you live, a solar furnace (I don't mean electronic solar panels) if you live in the desert?

for me, living in the Canadian High North, woodburning is where it's at (heavily wooded acreage goes for 300-1200 per acre depending on the size and location of the plot.

Cleared land also sells for far more than the wooded variety, So the best idea here is to use the newish outdoor furnaces. They are about 30% larger than two 55 gallon drums welded together end to end. They can be loaded with about two days worth of four foot long logs (loadable in ten minutes) and if you spring for the wood chipper and chip hopper you can load weeks worth of fuel into them.

The coolest thing about these outdoor furnaces is that they adjust themselves automatically with a simple analog computer.

The heat is used to run a boiler, the steam is used to power a genny, the hot water is further cooled by running through a heat exchanger and that "waste heat" is used to heat the house/out buildings.

This is becoming more and more intelligent a solution as the fuel situation becomes more acute here. Cancellation of huge Government subsidies are bringing the power and oil back up to a level that is unreasonable, but still not as pricey as the states.

One guy here in my town has even converted his truck to drive itself around by burning wood. Strange.....maybe, but it seems to work well enough for him.

On a different note, Ignorantly......I don't think you'll die in any foreign wars.

I see you being gunned down by federal agents in your back yard. :P

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 16:17

Hermes_Trigestimus.... for the first time ever, I'll have to say that I agree, to 100%, with somebody. That somebody is you. When can I come and visit you in Canada? :)

Edit: Canada is one of my dream turist places, the only place next to it is Iceland.

[Edited on 2004-3-27 by axehandle]

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 17:23
Whenever you feel like it....

call an hour ahead of time and I'll make up the bed in the spare room...:)

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 07:15

ooooh, a spare room! All mine are filled with machines and chemicals! I look forward to it, if you were serious.

Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 07:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermes_Trismegistus
On a different note, Ignorantly......I don't think you'll die in any foreign wars.

I see you being gunned down by federal agents in your back yard. :P

ROFL

Btw, Canada is such a nice place. I miss it :(
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 10:28

OT: If I had to emigrate, I'd choose Canada as my first choice.

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 11:12

Come on down....

You, Saerny, Orgi....

Damn, we'll take over the world!

Or maybe just sit on the back porch, in creaky wooden chairs, drinking jugs of strong, cold beer and watch the dragonflies chase mosquitoes around in the fading sunlight.

whatever...

IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 11:30

Sorry for my absence over the last few days, been busy. Yes diesel is out of the question as it is loud.
Solar: I am not sure if enough power could be stored by solar pannels to run a house but I definelty would be the prefered choice as there is little to no matinence, its quiet, and free. Wind power is also good but I perhaps slightly impractical due to the large equiptment.
Remember that this will be the only power source for your house and you do not want to run out of power for any reason ever.

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"

Go To Top