Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: File Size
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 10:08
File Size

Admin, since the file limit is 8 mb per post can you please move the single file limit from 2mb to at least 6 or 7mb? There is a thread now that a 3.9 mb PDF I have would have been a great addition. Over the years I have not added to many threads due to the 2 mb limit being just under a great resource I would have liked to post. The reason I prefer to put files in posts in this way is because nearly every topic older than a year or so is almost useless from the endless invalid links especially when the link is to a file on a sharing service such as rapidshare. I don't know how many times I have been bummed out over a great file I would have really found useful has been deleted at the remote site. In these threads typically the only useful links left were ones posted to this site. I know server space might not be cheap but so many resources have been forever lost because the poster had no way to add a file locally.

Just a thought.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Megamarko94
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 10:11

How do you upload pic without having to change the size of it?

bob800
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 12:33

You can also upload files to the sciencemadness FTP: scipics@sciencemadness.org (username: scipics, password: scipics). I do not think there's a filesize restriction on it.

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 22-9-2011 at 14:18

Quote: Originally posted by Megamarko94  
How do you upload pic without having to change the size of it?

What do you mean exactly? The physical size (as in 2Mb) or the pixel layout? The layout is important because a huge picture WILL upload but distort the thread's "readability"....It will run off the page of the browser. Do you mean the megabyte limit?
IF you mean the layout get a hold of a program called "PAINT.NET" it will hold as good an image as Photoshop in reduction but it's free (it's a good program) and I THINK they have a Linux port. Paint dot net is as good a image program as many I've seen as a commercial (paid) prog.

RE: the upload limit
The FTP is important because is the file size were raised a backup of the site may possibly get out of hand.

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-9-2011 at 14:57

For Windows IrfanView (free) will let you resize images, as well as set the compression level for jpeg & png. For *NIX, Mac, and Windows there's always Gimp.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2011 at 14:41

To get around the file size you can zip up the file. Use the box in the zipper program that says 'split to volum size (such and such)' to keep the zips below 2mb You can then post a few files. Hope this is not too naughty?

Go To Top