Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plain/discrete outer cardboard packaging.
Gary1234
Harmless

Mood: Electrophilic

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 12:36
Plain/discrete outer cardboard packaging.

Hi folks,

Having been thoroughly fed-up with stubborn impurities in drain-grade conc. sulphuric interfering with my syntheses, I am considering switching to reagent grade from a supplier.
Distilling conc sulphuric in glassware is just too risky, and I do not wish to waste my valuable peroxide, which can be put to better uses. So, I am considering ordering from a supplier. However, before I do so, I need to ensure that the chemical would be shipped in discrete packaging. I tell you for why- I am surrounded by some rather 'chemophobic' individuals who know next to nothing about chemistry. I fear that they would freak out into fits of hysteria if they saw a courier deliver cardboard packages sporting bright orange or black hazchem signs to my front door. I do not wish to draw unwanted attention to myself- it is a shame that amateur chemistry is frowned upon in this age of chemophobia, War on Drugs, War on Terror, and Draconian Health and Safety. Legitimate amateur chemistry is being unfairly criminalised.

Would anyone know of any suppliers who can deliver chemicals in discrete/plain outer packaging?
If you are not keen on making your sources public, then feel free to PM me.

Many Thanks.

[Edited on 25-11-2011 by Gary1234]
Sheddist
Harmless

Mood: Heavily Polarized

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 16:12

Hey, I've finally found someone who lives in the UK (no disrespect to all you US/Canada residents- you're a great bunch! ;)).

Gary,

I, too, have been using drain cleaner for my sulfuric acid. More often than not, it is highly coloured with a bright red or purple dye :mad:

I think they also add corrosion inhibitors to it to prevent the acid from eating through metal plumbing. If I recall correctly, there is an inhibitor called Rodine 130, which is 1,3 DIETHYLTHIOUREA. This explains why I find elemental sulfur in the bottom of the reaction vessel and can smell hydrogen sulfide (stinky rotten egg smell!) when I have used a particular brand of drain cleaner in my reactions: look at the MSDS for rodine 130 and you'll see that the decomposition products are: OXIDES OF CARBON AND SULFUR.

I don't think that these corrosion inhibitors will interfere too much with reactions, except for when you are preparing metal sulphate salts by the metal+acid route. I think, though, if you heat the acid at high temperatures for prolonged periods, these thiourea-based corrosion inhibitors should decompose.

http://hazard.com/msds/f2/bmn/bmnwv.html

Mate, stay away from chemical companies- they are more trouble than they are worth. Besides, drain cleaner sulfuric acid is FAR CHEAPER than any sulfuric from a chemical supply company.

Hope this helps!
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 16:16

Since hazmat stickers are legally required for H2SO4, doing this would be illegal (and also irresponsible; I am all for ignoring stupid laws, but this is not one of them). You know, they have those stickers for a reason - when someone at the post office screws up and squashes the package, it's nice if they have some indication that they're dealing with face-melting acid and not, say, shampoo.
Also, the word you are looking for is 'discreet'. 'Discrete' packaging would be I guess individual wrapping?
Gary1234
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 17:33

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
Since hazmat stickers are legally required for H2SO4, doing this would be illegal (and also irresponsible; I am all for ignoring stupid laws, but this is not one of them). You know, they have those stickers for a reason - when someone at the post office screws up and squashes the package, it's nice if they have some indication that they're dealing with face-melting acid and not, say, shampoo.
Also, the word you are looking for is 'discreet'. 'Discrete' packaging would be I guess individual wrapping?

Oops! Yes, I meant DISCREET. But, you have to admit that it IS an easy mistake to make (I am not dumb:))

Discrete= Distinct or separate (as in discrete, quantized energy levels).
Discreet= To be careful or modest; not to attract too much attention.

With regards to my query about DISCREET outer packaging, I was initially under the impression that it was only MANDATORY for chemical suppliers to put warning labels on the INNER receptacles holding the chemical, and that labelling needn't be applied to the cardboard OUTER packaging. Anyway, I am going to order reagent-grade sulphuric, regardless of whether the outer packaging sports a huge "Oh, look at me, I'm toxic and corrosive" or not. I am fed-up of drain cleaner messing up my syntheses :mad:
Real chemists use proper reagents!
Gary1234
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 17:38

Quote: Originally posted by Sheddist  
Hey, I've finally found someone who lives in the UK (no disrespect to all you US/Canada residents- you're a great bunch! ;)).

Gary,

I, too, have been using drain cleaner for my sulfuric acid. More often than not, it is highly coloured with a bright red or purple dye :mad:

I think they also add corrosion inhibitors to it to prevent the acid from eating through metal plumbing. If I recall correctly, there is an inhibitor called Rodine 130, which is 1,3 DIETHYLTHIOUREA. This explains why I find elemental sulfur in the bottom of the reaction vessel and can smell hydrogen sulfide (stinky rotten egg smell!) when I have used a particular brand of drain cleaner in my reactions: look at the MSDS for rodine 130 and you'll see that the decomposition products are: OXIDES OF CARBON AND SULFUR.

I don't think that these corrosion inhibitors will interfere too much with reactions, except for when you are preparing metal sulphate salts by the metal+acid route. I think, though, if you heat the acid at high temperatures for prolonged periods, these thiourea-based corrosion inhibitors should decompose.

http://hazard.com/msds/f2/bmn/bmnwv.html

Mate, stay away from chemical companies- they are more trouble than they are worth. Besides, drain cleaner sulfuric acid is FAR CHEAPER than any sulfuric from a chemical supply company.

Hope this helps!

Hi, Sheddist!

It's nice to know a few more on this side of 'the pond'!

I've had a good read through your post. I appreciate what you are saying, but I am going to order some decent sulphuric from a real chem supplier anyway! I am sick of the nasty gunk in drain cleaner!

Cheers,

Gary.
k2976
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2011 at 01:46

Stickers are a must for safety reasons so you won't find anyone willing to do this. Why not have the package shipped to a friend? I'm assuming you live with your parents because if it was a roommate it really wouldn't be any of their business. If your parents aren't ok with you doing chemistry at their house you probably shouldn't. Not worth getting in trouble over, you'll be out on your own soon enough;)
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 26-11-2011 at 08:55

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  

I just bought a liter of concentrated H2SO4 from a reputable supplier. It was delivered to my door in a plain brown cardbox box by FedEx ground. The only external marking was a small sticker that said "ORM-D".

It is illegal to ship sulfuric by post, so it should never be squashed by someone at the post office.
strangelove
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 09:35

ORM-D means Other Regulated Material. It applies to consumer commodites, or quantities of hazardous materials that don't pose much of a hazard to transport.
Gammaray1981
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 15:21

But what chemphobic person would know that? ORM-D could mean anything at all, and most (semi-) reasonable people don't go around inspecting other people's post anyway. So long as there are no glaring signs shouting to the world 'look what this chap's buying, he might be dangerous!', then it's probably going to pass unnoticed.

That said, I echo what was stated earlier - if this is your parents who are the issue, bear in mind that nowhere is truly private, so it's not just the post, it's the storage that counts.

On the other hand, if it's just next-door neighbours, go ahead. They're unlikely to break in to check for sulphuric acid.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 12:50

Biostain to the rescue! :D

P
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 12:59

Indeed, I have bought many chemicals from them, including various alcohols/ketones, nitric acid, glacial acetic acid, hydrochloric acid, potassium iodide, and all that was on the outer packaging ( a white box) was my delivery address.

I am still only a young teenager myself and my parents don't like the idea of ordering from chemical suppliers, so if anyone on this forum is here to represent the company, I thank and salute you!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 13:25

See this??? He's accusing moi of being a shill!!! (:D)

P
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 10:16

amazon.com
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 11:15

Nile.com :D

P

Go To Top