Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ascorbic Acid -> Oxalic Acid
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 25-11-2011 at 23:06
Ascorbic Acid -> Oxalic Acid

So there was a previous thread about decomposition of ascorbic acid and Sriraman said

Quote: Originally posted by Sriraman  
The path way of decomposition of Ascorbic acid is Ascorbic acid to Dehydroascorbic acid to 2,5 Diketogulonic acid and then to oxalic acid and L-threonic acid. you can guess which gives yellow colour-possibly 2,5 diketogulonic acid due to its two ketonic functions

Now this post was made in 2004 so its pretty old, and it doesn't explain much, there was one more post after that and then the thread died. Now i made a post a while ago about Oxalic acid from rhubarb and other threads you can make oxalic acid with other methods, but none really discussed this method... so i thought maybe discuss it here as it sounds pretty simple... but then again... when is organic chemistry ever simple?

Ascorbic Acid is readily valuable from health stores as Vitamin C but most of the time it isn't 100% Ascorbic Acid, my tablets that my family get has Sodium Ascorbate also in it so i could probably dissolve the whole tablet into water and acidify the water to turn Sodium Ascorbate into ascorbic acid and a sodium salt... and then cool the solution to crystallize out the acid.

Now im a noob to how to do organic chemistry so i don't know how things take place but i think i figured out the equation to what is needed.

C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>8</sub>O<sub>6</sub> = C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>6</sub>O<sub>6</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>

The first equation is a reduction, KMnO4 can be used to reduce it to Dehydroascorbic acid and Hydrogen Gas but how would u then separate the contaminates from the chemicals we want?

C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>6</sub>O<sub>6</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O + C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>8</sub>O<sub>7</sub>

Now because the first reaction will contain water it will most likely go straight to the second reaction which hydrates it to 2,5 diketogulonic acid which would then maybe follow on to the next reaction as 2,5 diketogulonic acid reacts with the water to form Oxalic Acid and L-threonic acid

5 C<sub>7</sub>H<sub>8</sub>O<sub>7</sub> + 7 H<sub>2</sub>O = 3 H<sub>2</sub>C<sub>2</sub>O<sub>4</sub> + 6 C<sub>4</sub>H<sub>8</sub>O<sub>5</sub>

So would the reaction play out on its own? id really like to know more about this :)

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by Chemistry Alchemist]

theflickkk
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2011 at 00:37

Reduction with KMnO4? Isn't KMnO4 an oxidizing agent?
I would think that KMnO4 would oxidize the hydroxyl functional groups of ascorbic acid.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-11-2011 at 00:44

thats what i thought but in the thread they said that KMnO4 and a few other chemicals were used and it reduced the ascorbic acid to 2,5 diketogulonic acid (the purple solution of the permanganate turned to a yellow solution of 2,5 diketogulonic acid)

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus
Thread Moved
26-11-2011 at 15:36
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-11-2011 at 22:22

has anyone got a detailed synthesis of this reaction?

Go To Top