Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tri-n-butyl phosphate without POCl3?
Nick F
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 12:04
Tri-n-butyl phosphate without POCl3?

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me where I could find a synthesis for tri-n-butyl phosphate that does not require phosphorus oxychloride?

The only procedures that I have been able to find either use butanol and phosphorus oxychloride (which I can not get), or chlorobutanol and phosphoric acid at high temperature and pressure (which I can not do).

Some places mention that it can be made via the usual route of acid catalysed esterification of the alcohol with the acid, but do not provide any details of reaction conditions. Instead, they simply advise that you make it with phosphorus oxychloride.
This makes me suspect that maybe the reaction of the alcohol and acid is not as straight-forward as might be expected. Which is why I'm asking if any of you can help, before I start messing about in the lab.

I only need about 50 mL to purify some uranium nitrate which I have produced from pitchblende. Can you believe that getting hold of the uranium was no problem at all, but I couldn't find anywhere to get TBP from?!

Thanks in advance for any help!
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 3-12-2011 at 01:35

Aiming for some red oil do we.., just kidding.

Anyways, doubt this helps but one may apparently use red P with catalyctic amounts of cupric chloride to prepare trialkyl phosphates.

Red P on alkanols

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Go To Top