Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pyridine thermochromism research
poison_us
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 00:29
Pyridine thermochromism research

Or, more precisely undergrad research on the thermochromism of Pyridine Copper Iodide whether it can be accomplished with similar molecules, preferably replacing Pyridine. I was recently allowed to do NurdRage's demo of Thermochromism of Pyridine and Copper Iodide as a demonstration to High School students, and I asked a professor if other substances can be used in place of either the Copper Iodide or Pyridine. The professor didn't know, and told me that if I wanted, I may be able to do research in the following semester on it. I began looking around for articles to no avail. I remembered finding a science forum where I (ironically) discovered Nurdrage's alias talking about a reaction from a video I had seen, and noticed the diction was exactly the same as what he had used in the video. I then retraced my steps and rediscovered Science Madness.

So here's my question: can someone point me in the direction of alternate substances for either Pyridine or Copper Iodide in this thermochromism, or is it so picky that there are no real substitutes for either substance? Also, if possible, I would rather replace Pyridine with a similar molecule before Copper Iodide. My professor suggested Phosphorine may work, but after I looked it up on Wikipedia, I don't think so. Something about "although phosphorine is a heavier element analog of pyridine, the electronic structure is very different from that of pyridine" doesn't sound too promising.

I remember the reason for the luminescence being described as too complicated to go into depth in the video, so if nothing else can someone explain why the Pyridine Copper Iodide complexes luminesce? If I know the madness, I can hopefully figure out an alternate method.

I apologize in advance if this seems basic knowledge, but I'm only an Organic student currently. I don't have any formal education in luminescence more than it's caused by an electron changing orbital from an excited state to a stable state, along with equations involving wavelength and energy that I don't particularly find useful in applying to this question.

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by poison_us]
LHcheM
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 02:57

Morpholine would work, having similar iluminscence as pyridine does
Also in benzene solution, the luminescence is different as well

Of course you can try other substituted pyridine derivatives as well, and other amines...

PS I like organic chemistry too :p

Go To Top