Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buchi Screw Wheel 00565 needed!
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 18-12-2011 at 15:42
Buchi Screw Wheel 00565 needed!

I'm looking for a spare part, namely the Buchi Screw Wheel part. no. 00565 for a Rotavapor RE-111 motor. Its basically a plastic toothed wheel.

check page 16 of this manual for details:

RE-11X Manual

zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 18-12-2011 at 17:30

Contact the maker of your rotovap, im sure they will sell spare parts.

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 18-12-2011 at 22:49

Check Buchi's Amazon store, I bought one of these from them. Expect about $100 with shipping for a new screw wheel.

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 19-12-2011 at 04:36

Quote: Originally posted by benzylchloride1  
Expect about $100 with shipping for a new screw wheel.

$100 for a plastic gear? I'd say this is a perfect candidate for 3-D printing... Check-out if the old gear can be scanned, retouched and reproduced, I bet this would be less expensive.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 19-12-2011 at 13:01

well yeah, it's about 50 EUR. i find that disturbingly expensive.

edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 22-6-2012 at 04:52

The "screw wheel", technically in north american english, it is a worm wheel, which meshes with a worm gear on the shaft of the motor.

It looks like a manufacturing defect, either the plastic is stretched very tight or solvents have caused it to shrink. Brass or even steel would be better since it's such a low torque application. It's not like they aren't charging enough, and have to use "cheap" plastic.

I'm going to get mine measured up, the local industrial bearing shop has a set of gear pitch gauges. I would probably spend the $100 on a Buchi original, except that based on the number of people with problems, it seems like a bad design.

http://coplanar.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=509

Buchi_worm_gear_fail.jpg - 82kB
peach
Bon Vivant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2012 at 07:57

Buchi seem to love using none standard parts where there's no need to.

There are coated labyrinth seals designed for high vacuum applications at a fraction of the price of theirs.

I get a buzz off the one I have, literally... because the capacitor's can or variac in there is leaking to ground. My mates flicks the breakers. A bit of insulation would be nice for all that money.

[Edited on 22-6-2012 by peach]
edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 22-6-2012 at 16:58

So I just spent about an hour measuring up this gear, and searching for something that could be bored out on a lathe to make it better than original. I may have found one made of Delrin (or steel, imagine! heat and solvent resistant!)

It's a bit odd, they are using a 4 thread worm gear, but instead of a matching worm wheel, they are just using a helical gear. My cheap angle finder shows about 18 degree helix angle, 48 teeth, 2.6 inch O.D. 3/8 inch face width. I hassled the bearing shop this afternoon and got roughly 20 Diametral Pitch from one of their gear pitch gauges, 20 degree pressure angle.

http://www.hpcgears.com/products/helical_gears.htm

PARALLEL helical gears, Imperial(DP), 20DP, yields the attached catalog.

PSH20-48 looks like a good match, unsure if it's LH or RH. Price listed is 15 pounds sterling? I don't see a north american distributor tho ;<

Attachment: helicalgears_20dp.pdf (288kB)
This file has been downloaded 742 times

I'm unsure if Delrin is a good material for the heat/solvents, though it is great for wear against the steel worm gear. Steel gear might be just fine too, there's almost no torque involved in spinning a flask in water or oil. Thoughts?

[Edited on 2012-6-23 by edgecase]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-6-2012 at 01:04

I have motors. p2p me an I can arrange something with you. I bought a bunch of condensors, stands and motors a few years ago. I plant to assemble rotovaps and sell them. The stand alone motors are "R" types and I have a couple of R-11 stands. You could pull the gear out of a motor I have that needs to be re-packed with grease.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
spankyetal
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-6-2020 at 10:36
Buchi worm gear new or repaired

the gap damage in the worm gear face is a common occurrence. 66% of used R-111 drives had these damages or gaps, As of 2020 Buchi sells them for $75.00. But there is a $120.00 minimum.
You can reach Buchi US to get their downloadable order form to order a new gear at:
ordermanagement@buchi.com or fax to 302-652-8777.
You can place an order through your local Distributor such as Fisher Scientific or VWR.

Repairs can be kept below $25.00 using a clay mold, epoxy resin and Dremel grinding touch-up. So far so good.
TextText
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 21-6-2020 at 11:29

Quote: Originally posted by spankyetal  

Repairs can be kept below $25.00 using a clay mold, epoxy resin and Dremel grinding touch-up. So far so good.

Maybe an epoxy putty like milliput would be good for this?
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-6-2020 at 23:49

Maybe you could make a new tooth from thick plastic plate using a jewelers saw and some files? For $100 it's worth the effort.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 06:38

There is someone on here who made me some replacement gears, I will ask him to check with you.

OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 12:37

Looks like this thread was necrotized, but for future reference, I have some replacement gears I can send for the price of shipping or they can be ordered less than $15 each from BMC3D. I also have the 3D model if you want to print your own.
johnsonnamedborris99
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-11-2021 at 02:19

Quote: Originally posted by OldNubbins  
Looks like this thread was necrotized, but for future reference, I have some replacement gears I can send for the price of shipping or they can be ordered less than $15 each from BMC3D. I also have the 3D model if you want to print your own.

i have been looking for this worm wheel for mine too. could i get a copy of the file? if you still have another one you are willing to sell i will take it off your hands ?

just another politically incorrect canceled culture
MOF guru
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2022 at 22:18

Quote: Originally posted by OldNubbins  

We have the same problem with our Buchi rotavap.

Can anyone advise which exact type of helical gear it actually is from BMC3D?

Many thx in advance!
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2022 at 20:15

That design was for a R-114 I believe. If you are in the US, he might be willing to ship you the part for postage and such. If not, I might have some spare parts that would work, but I will be out the next week or so. If you are in the US and can't find the part, send me a note, and I will get back when I can.
MOF guru
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 10:38

Thanks for your fast reply. I am looking for one for RE-111. From the manual it is part no. 00565. I am located in Germany/Switzerland, hence it would probably be easier to exchange the size/particular type (e.g. Order number/Description) or the even the 3D Model of the helical gear and I will search for it here in Europe. As you have shown already, it is commercially available, although it is definitely „special“. Many thanks in advance for all your help!

Go To Top