Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Zero tolerance for meth cooks kewls and other troublemakers?
Zero tolerance for threads on the malicious manufacture of explosives and drugs. --- 26 (43.33%)
Tolerance for drug & bomb related threads is acceptable as it is. --- 34 (56.67%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Zero tolerance for meth cooks kewls and other troublemakers?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 10:52

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
Ah

Lets not name names hiss :D

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
gutter_ca
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored at work!

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 10:59

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
Ah

Lets not name names hiss :D

Hahahaha!

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 23:24

Quote: Originally posted by gutter_ca  
Personally, I'd rather see a crackdown on a certain member (you know who I mean) who constantly posts wildly inaccurate information and reaction schemes he seems to have pulled directly out of his ass.

He was already banned once. Why we let him come back is beyond me, but his posts are more coherent and less inane (really saying something) than they formerly were.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 6-1-2012 at 18:21

.......i don't agree with censorship, everyone can be taught to post correctly .....as they just want to learn....it's not for us to say what people should research ....contribute if one wishes and if it's not your cup of tea ... involve yourself in what interests you.....and live and let live......solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 01:44

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
We all remember this "PHDchemist" who was either an excellent and crafted troll, or a dangerously disturbed individual,

That sounds like a personal attack.

My dad always said be polite, be nice to people, have a good heart

Perhaps you should heed your dads advice.

I think we should try to be patient and understanding, even when certain members have poor social skills and internet etiquette (and an insecure ego).
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 08:17
What ? ?

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  

Huh? Not a personal attack at all... the kid was compltely bonkers, and contributed nothing of value except infuriating everyone. Are you defending him somehow? And why the hell would you do?

Quote:

Now now, that was uncalled for. I think I am a rather moderate member... I don't discuss about politics, religion, explosives and drugs, and I try to help anyone to the best of my knowledge and abilities. There are certain posters sadly that are well beyond help and I do not participate in their threads because I am not confrontational and would have nothing to offer.

Quote:

I think we should try to be patient and understanding, even when certain members have poor social skills and internet etiquette (and an insecure ego).

I agree partially, but there's a point where the line should be drawn, and I leave it to the moderators to draw that line. If someone has difficulties mastering the English language, I will gladly give him a hand and help him formulate his question if I can.

But I do not give a damn about people with poor social skills... if someone acts like a 4 year-old in a tantrum, I would promptly show him the door. Period.

Robert

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by Arthur Dent]

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  

Huh? Not a personal attack at all... the kid was compltely bonkers, and contributed nothing of value except infuriating everyone. Are you defending him somehow? And why the hell would you do?

Quote:

Now now, that was uncalled for. I think I am a rather moderate member... I don't discuss about politics, religion, explosives and drugs, and I try to help anyone to the best of my knowledge and abilities. There are certain posters sadly that are well beyond help and I do not participate in their threads because I am not confrontational and would have nothing to offer.

Quote:

I agree partially, but there's a point where the line should be drawn, and I leave it to the moderators to draw that line. If someone has difficulties mastering the English language, I will gladly give him a hand and help him formulate his question if I can.

But I do not give a damn about people with poor social skills... if someone acts like a 4 year-old in a tantrum, I would promptly show him the door. Period.

Robert

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by Arthur Dent]

I have the same opinion that Arthur Dent. A good example is me plante1999 who does not speak fluently english , but does make effort to write clearly wath I want to said , I am not a kewls so , I don't want to be trown out of SM....

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 11:44

Interesting how the subject migrated to speaking language fluently. Believe it or not, English is not my first language either; my native language is French, yet no one notices.

I didn't expect such a strong response over the course of so little time.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 11:53

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
Interesting how the subject migrated to speaking language fluently. Believe it or not, English is not my first language either; my native language is French, yet no one notices.

I didn't expect such a strong response over the course of so little time.

My native langage is also french. English is really easier to write than french.

[Edited on 8-1-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 16:18

Yeti and Planet, you both type very fluently considering that english is not your first language. I am envious, and would love to know french. Maybe Rosetta Stone is for real?

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 05:53

Well, there seems to be a strong Canadian presence here on SciMad, lots of French-speaking confrères too! I work for an advertizing agency and part of my work is translating texts from English to French and vice versa.

(Salutations à mes amis chimistes québécois!) which means "Greetings to all my chemist friends from Quebec!"

And a big thank you to our French brothers who have contributed the likes of Curie, Lavoisier, Pasteur, Gay Lussac to the universe of chemistry... together, we will take over SciMad and rule the world Muah hah hah!

Many English-speaking people think of this Monty Python sketch when they think of the French:
(spoken with a strong French accent) I fart in your general direction... your mother was a hamster!

LOL, them Monty Python folks were purdee funny! ;)

Robert (pronounced Row Bear) :D :D

PS: need... more... coffee...

[Edited on 8-1-2012 by Arthur Dent]

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 08:21

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  

My native langage is also french. English is really easier to write than french.

I agree, I can write French, but I learned all my chemistry in English, so it's easier for me to write chemistry in English. IUPAC names don't translate well between languages, unfortunately.

I haven't written French in a while, but it remains my native language. I can actually write just as well in Spanish, the language I'm taking in school.
"Tengo much sed! Quiero un café ahora mismo!" (I'm really thirsty, I want coffee right now).

Once you know one romance language fluently, all the other Latin based languages are a piece of cake.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 12-1-2012 at 13:32

I was originally taught chemistry at school in Welsh (yes, I live in Wales), and I studied my home chemistry in English . . .a few words with the chem teacher and I'm now in an English class and much happier. I agree with White Yeti, IUPAC names and nomenclature doesn't translate well into other languages, and the same goes occasionally for pieces of apparatus and equipment.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 08:30

German is my first language. Mind you, I grew up in the USA and started learning English at age 4, so I don't really think of it as a second language.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 11:52

Personally I believe many of the illicit drugs that the public tends to look severally down on are less harmful than the drugs considered safe and sane by the people (caffeine, acetaminophen, alcohol, etc.) and most public knows nothing of their actual effects! And more importantly the prohibition does more harm to everyone than the "hardest" of drugs could do themselves. And Pulverulescent could not be more right. It is an incredibly stupid idea to make, buy, or use synthetic drugs that have not been thoroughly analyzed for impurities and potency such as with an analytical chromatograph or other very precise means for obvious reasons. The real problem is the ease it is for people of all ages to get the real hard drugs, the ones not illicit (alcohol, nicotine, DXM, Xanax, hydrocodone, etc.) and the doctors handing out amphetamines to every child without good grades, its absurd and crazy! I'm currently writing a paper for school on the effect of synthetics, the DEA, Homeland security, the media, and the public on amateur chemistry and how its viewed. When I tell people I'm an amateur chemist, or I have a "laboratory" in my basement, they immediately think I'm cooking up meth. When I say pyrotechnics is my hobby, they worry I'm a terrorist--and I'm sure I'm not the only one. On SM what really pisses me off (and I haven't been here long) is how often people come to this form make one post (their first post) about some drug/precursor synthesis, and are never heard from again. Once again I'm sure I'm not alone on that one either.

BOLD

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by AirCowPeaCock  
Personally I believe many of the illicit drugs that the public tends to look severally down on are less harmful than the drugs considered safe and sane by the people (caffeine, acetaminophen, alcohol, etc.) and most public knows nothing of their actual effects!
No, you can't expect the general public to have much knowledge of pharmacology.

That's the reason the we have an agency that employs hundreds of pharmacologists, toxicologists, chemists, and medical doctors. These professionals evaluate the detailed data on safety and effectiveness submitted by the drug companies and make a determination based on the scientific data as to whether the benefits of the drug outweigh the potential risks. The agency is the Food and Drug Administration in the United States and other developed nations have similar agencies.
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 17:22

Quote: Originally posted by AirCowPeaCock  
When I tell people I'm an amateur chemist, or I have a "laboratory" in my basement, they immediately think I'm cooking up meth. When I say pyrotechnics is my hobby, they worry I'm a terrorist--and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

When I say (and I don't say it too often) that I have a modest lab in my basement, I get suspicious looks as well. I don't experiment with pyrotechnics because explosives have a little too much attitude for my taste.

Chemistry is by far my favourite pastime and hobby. I mean what else is there? Why can't people look at us and see us as hobbyists?

How did we get to the point where home experimenters are associated with troublemakers? Granted, not all home experimenters are completely sane, but unlike cooks and kewls, we take the precautions so that no one's life aside from our own is put in harm's way.

This looks like a dying hobby, public opinion (however flawed and prejudiced) is overwhelmingly negative.

Is there any way this can be reversed? Perhaps trimming every single suspicious member is not the right way to got, but what other option is there?

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 20:15

How did we get to the point where home experimenters are associated with troublemakers? Granted, not all home experimenters are completely sane, but unlike cooks and kewls, we take the precautions so that no one's life aside from our own is put in harm's way.

This looks like a dying hobby, public opinion (however flawed and prejudiced) is overwhelmingly negative.

Is there any way this can be reversed? Perhaps trimming every single suspicious member is not the right way to got, but what other option is there?
As someone who has been a hobby chemist for 50 years, I can tell you what I have observed.

Until the 1970's I could go to the branch of Fisher Scientific located about a mile from my house and buy anything I wanted. I took it for granted that such would always be the case.

And then Angel Dust hit. Phencyclidine. Fisher employees (!) were setting up sales of piperidine, bromobenzene, ether, magnesium and all the other ingredients. Most of the buyers were not chemists, but were working from street recipes. They ran Grignards in glass coffee pots in their kitchens, never mind the pilot light on the gas stove. One particularly memorable episode involved an ether explosion in the kitichen that literally propelled the refrigerator into the backyard.

The chemicals were rapidly traced back to Fisher.

Guess what happened the next time I walked into Fisher and tried to buy a beaker?

Fisher dried up as a source for the home chemist. Overnight. Just like that.

Because of the cooks.

End of story.

Blame chemophobia, moronic legislators, whatever. But I was there watching this happen. The correlation with illegal drug manufacture is unmistakable and only a drug cook could deny it with a straight face.

It will certainly not be reversed in my lifetime, if ever.

Making nice about the inherent chemical interest of illegal drug synthesis is not conducive to improving the image of chemistry as a hobby.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 01:34

Perhaps trimming every single suspicious member is not the right way to got, but what other option is there?

You still don't understand that with this very thread you are acting like a "kewl". Had you UTFSE, like you should, you would have found a number of threads where this was discussed ad nauseum. And with the same result despite the inane bitching of always the same fixated persons. Since you're not adding anything new to this discussion, you're simply wasting time.

BTW: People who want to tell me what I can cook or not are filed under the category "very suspicious". And the ridiculously tendentious formulation of your poll questions doesn't improve that classification.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 04:54

Quote: Originally posted by turd  
Perhaps trimming every single suspicious member is not the right way to got, but what other option is there?

You still don't understand that with this very thread you are acting like a "kewl". Had you UTFSE, like you should, you would have found a number of threads where this was discussed ad nauseum. And with the same result despite the inane bitching of always the same fixated persons. Since you're not adding anything new to this discussion, you're simply wasting time.

BTW: People who want to tell me what I can cook or not are filed under the category "very suspicious". And the ridiculously tendentious formulation of your poll questions doesn't improve that classification.

Or he could read the forum rules which sate that bomb making and drug production are 100% not okay while the discussion of the chemical aspects of each thing are okay.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 07:06

i speak that tex-mex and we are notorious for chopping both english and spanish and direct translation of words when speaking. A texmex sells a horse and tells the buyer that the horse dont look very good.the buyer thinks the horse looks fine and takes him for a ride,the horse runs straight into a post.Down here if you speak tex-mex you're just run of the mill ,speak french and you will get laid. to ask how to do drugs here is not cool unless of course he asks in a way that he knows how chemicals are bonding and such.i like how people here first ask them to show effort in solving chemical equations and things before they dish out information. in all honesty i dont believe in any barrirers between knowledge seekers.kewls are looking for explosions and druggies are looking for a high but a kewl or druggy looking for knowledge is not wrong. mirar is to see in spanish and so is to look.

[Edited on 14-1-2012 by cyanureeves]
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 10:53

Anti-drug laws fuck up just about everybody!
But of course a lot of people profit, and some profit handsomely, from this particular set of "laws" ─ they are, of course, the drug-dealers, drug-chemists, prison admins (US), DEA operatives (US), (corrupt) cops, Big Pharma, dishonest politicians (is there any other kind?) and a, too many to mention, host of lesser scum-bags nibbling round the edges!
To make crimes out of things which are not crimes can only be seen by a thinking man as a crime in itself!
And this is a crime whose victims are literally uncountable!
The creeping chemophobia we see today would largely not exist, at all, if it weren't for drug prohibition!
What we're really seeing since 1933 is simply alcohol prohibition under a different guise!
Anyone who supports drug prohibition is either one of its beneficiaries (criminal or otherwise), a fucking moron or a liar!!!

P
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 11:03

Not that alot or the cooks arn't to blame too. Its sad, the umderground and the government are working together in order to stay in power--without even communicating

BOLD

Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 11:49

We need total legalization of all drugs so that the human race can evolve as quickly as possible means to deal with drugs.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 12:34

Quote:
Not that alot or the cooks arn't to blame too.

WTF! :mad:

P
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top