Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Setting up my first home lab
Unobtainium
Harmless

Mood: Excited and Anxious

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 22:25
Setting up my first home lab

So I've always been very intrigued by chemistry, but for some reason I was never really too motivated to actually go and setup a lab at home, until now. I've been reading through some textbooks, and plenty of other material on various websites and forums, and I've decided to spend a bit of money so I can have some real fun with chemistry at home.

My budget isn't very big right now, it's around $600-800. I'm more interested in acquiring the glassware and other equipment right now and I'm not too worried about the chemicals and what not at the moment.

For glassware, I've been looking at a number of different sites including eBay, Elemental Scientific, and a few others. One that caught my eye was this set, which seems to be really nicely priced. The only two things that I'm not sure about are
1. The quality, does anyone here have experience with this company?
2. The "Fractionation Tube", which I assume is supposed to the the fractionating column doesn't look that great, although I could be wrong, I don't know a whole lot about glassware. But that's not a big deal anyway, I can always pick up a Vigreux column if I need one, I suppose.

Aside from the glassware itself, I'm also looking for a good heating/stirring plate, preferably for around $200 or less. Does anybody know of any good ones in that price range? I've been looking at this and this, but I'm not really sure if they are good choices or not.

I'm also interested in a vacuum to use for vacuum distillation, and I've been eyeing this one which seems to be the same one that United Nuclear resells for like $300, so I'm guessing it isn't bad quality. Also, for vacuum distillation, what type of tubing should I use for connecting the vacuum to the apparatus? Is regular vinyl or latex tubing fine? And do I need to use a vacuum flask as a water trap?

Or maybe I could save some money on a vacuum and use an Aspirator instead? Would I still get good results with one of those?

What about support stands and clamps and what-not, any recommendations on those?

I think that covers most of my questions for now; I'd really appreciate any advice I can get. I've been browsing this forum quite a bit over the past few days and there's definitely a lot of good information here, I'm really happy I found it.

[Edited on 1-11-2012 by Unobtainium]
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 06:48

Check this set out at Ebay and it's less expensive
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Advanced-24-40-Organic-Chemistry...
Unobtainium
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 06:57

Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  
Check this set out at Ebay and it's less expensive
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Advanced-24-40-Organic-Chemistry...

Wow that's really cheap, but is the glass good quality? If so, then that's a great deal for sure.

[Edited on 1-11-2012 by Unobtainium]
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 13:14

It seems like you didn't mention anything about a scale. If you want more information on where to get cheap and accurate scales, refer to this thread, you might find it helpful:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17730

My biggest problems when I first set up my lab were finding a cheap and accurate scale and finding a way to heat reaction mixtures to 500+ degrees centigrade. I still have a tough time performing high temperature syntheses, I have to set up a large wood fire in my chimney and jam the reaction vessel into the hot coals and wait for hours, really time consuming, but it works, most of the time.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 13:32

U2U Dr. Bob on this site. I have gotten a load of good quality, ground glass ware, and a nice corning hotplate/stirrer. The prices are phenomenal. I think he has a spread sheet of what's left in his thread "lab supplies looking for a good home". I can almost guarantee that you won't find better prices or equipment anywhere else. Including eBay. Many longtime members here will vouch for him.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15667#...

[Edited on 12-1-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 17:53

That's a snazzy lookiing kit, but apparently it's made in China so the glass is what? Bomex? I would be cautious.

I've bought lots of glass from United Glass Technology and have had zero problems with it. Their kits are not as fancy as the one on eBay, but I would wager that the glass is higher quality. http://unitedglasstech.com/lab__kits.htm

For stirring hotplates you can't beat Corning, but they don't come cheap.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 17:57

I just got a corning pc-320 stirplate in great condition for 100$ USD +shipping. Claims 500C, I'll put that to the test tonight.

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Unobtainium
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 20:28

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
It seems like you didn't mention anything about a scale. If you want more information on where to get cheap and accurate scales, refer to this thread, you might find it helpful:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17730

My biggest problems when I first set up my lab were finding a cheap and accurate scale and finding a way to heat reaction mixtures to 500+ degrees centigrade. I still have a tough time performing high temperature syntheses, I have to set up a large wood fire in my chimney and jam the reaction vessel into the hot coals and wait for hours, really time consuming, but it works, most of the time.

Actually, the reason why I didn't ask about a scale was because I saw that thread beforehand and figured it had all the information on scales I'd need :D

Also, Dr. Bob did indeed contact me, and I'm considering him as one of my options right now, he seems to have great prices, and I don't mind used stuff, so long as it works.

As per heat/stirplates, I think I'm gonna keep an eye out for someone selling a used corning at a good price, it would probably be better in the long run than one of those cheap Chinese alternatives.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 20:32

I got a corning from Dr. Bob, as I said. For a great price.

zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 12-1-2012 at 15:01

I would recommend getting your magnetic stirring plate from ebay. If you keep watch you should be able to find one for 50-100 dollars. I also recommend buying a water aspirator, they are much cheaper, and will most likely serve the purpose for anything you wish to do. I just bought This glassware kit. It is very good quality especially for the price.

Chemstudent
Harmless

Mood: Contemplative

[*] posted on 22-4-2012 at 15:24

I too am going to add some considerable glassware to my lab setup. I am very likely going to purchase all my pieces from "Laboy" on ebay. I'm never too sure about oriental goods, especially when the freight cost and prices are so low but folks on here seem to speak highly and their pieces look well made. Are there any drawbacks to buying from these guys? Is their glass any better or worse than Corning which is priced way higher. I realize certain boroscilicates are patented and of varying quality.

I just returned a 500mL simple distillation kit I bought on amazon.com for $99.99 http://www.amazon.com/MHB-LB120-500KA-Distillation-Apparatus...

I bought it before even having ever looked outside Amazon, and at the time I wasn't too keen on the different types of distillation methods. The still head was affixed to the 500mL rbFlask and was pointed down 90degrees forcing me to raise up the flask a foot off the ground. It just was a terribly awkward and limited setup overall. Then after seeing all the beautiful glassware I can get on eBay I felt huge buyers remorse. That $99 bucks is now going towards a nice organic chemistry glassware kit.

Now that I have a better idea of what I want, I feel more comfortable now putting more serious coin towards some glassware. I wanted to get everything I think I'd ever need for a very long time. Assuming I buy from Laboy I thought I'd get:

Organic Chem Kit -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-advanced-chemistry-lab-glassware...

A soxhlet extractor -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-glass-soxhlet-extractor-set55-50...

A buchner funnel -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buchner-funnel-filter-60ml-C-Coarse-...

And finally a Dropping Funnel -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500ml-additonal-funnel-24-40-pressur...

That seems like everything I'd ever need as far as glassware is concerned. I would also need a water aspirator for vacuuming, but they didn't seem to have one. All I have on hand is some Erlenmeyer flasks from Karter Scientific, and 2 evap. dishes from Pyrex. Does anyone think that there is a piece of glassware not here that is missing, something very frequently used, is this maybe overkill? I felt I need a dropping funnel and soxhlet as they'd become very useful. In the kit would I ever need the Vigreaux? Seems not useful since there are other condensors I could use for reflux, plus the Vigreaux is just air cooled.

A lot of questions and rambling, sorry guys. But I hope when I do buy everything I will be happy and can get to work on some more difficult synthesis :)
Aperturescience27
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 22:12

Quote: Originally posted by Chemstudent  

In the kit would I ever need the Vigreaux? Seems not useful since there are other condensors I could use for reflux, plus the Vigreaux is just air cooled.

(I apologize if that was just a typo but) Vigreux condenser is meant to be used as a fractionating column, not for reflux, so you actually don't want to cool it.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 07:22

Quote: Originally posted by Aperturescience27  

(I apologize if that was just a typo but) Vigreux condenser is meant to be used as a fractionating column, not for reflux, so you actually don't want to cool it.

Chemists use Vigreux columns frequently as an air cooled reflux condenser. They don't require water, so there is little danger of having the hose come loose overnight, and they have lots of surface area, so they work excellently as a reflux condenser for solvents like ethanol, DMF, 1,4-dioxane, toluene, etc. I use them all of the time, as they are great for that purpose. They may not have been meant for that, but they work great for that purpose.

Bob
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by Chemstudent  

And finally a Dropping Funnel -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500ml-additonal-funnel-24-40-pressur...

I felt I need a dropping funnel and soxhlet as they'd become very useful. In the kit would I ever need the Vigreaux? Seems not useful since there are other condensors I could use for reflux, plus the Vigreaux is just air cooled.

I would definitely buy a Vigreaux, since the increased surface area allows for fantastic fractional distillation, if you are into that. Also, I am not sure if you need to get that fancy of an addition funnel. Don't get me wrong, I think those are great and I use it quite frequently! But, they are very expensive and can be somewhat fragile as well. Personally, I would use something more like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pyrex-125-ML-glass-separatory-Funn...

But if you need the pressure equalizing capabilities of the Laboy one, go for it! Just be careful.

Also, @Dr.Bob, I will most certainly try that out as a reflux condenser. Interesting how I have never thought of that lol. Thanks!

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
SWilkin676
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 18:14

Don't know if you have considered vacuum source - keep an eye out on ebay for a Savant Gel Pump. Very reliable easy to use and maintain vacuum source. Max vacuum is 7 torr which is plenty for most apps. I got both mine for less than 50 bucks, but you have to keep an eye out.

Also don't underestimate the need for little stuff. Tubing, plumbing stuff, corks. I swear in spite of all the 24/40 we have, it seems like no project is done without screwing around with corks/rubber stoppers.

Go To Top