Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: KNO3 + candle wax => NO reaction ???
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 20:26

I once saw a mythbuster's show where they made a "rocket" with a steel pipe filled with solid paraffin and cored. N<sub>2</sub>O was injected through the core and ignited at the nozzle by pyrogen (cellulose nitrate I think). It failed to achieve lift but made a lot of noise. Once again, Jamie and Adam where embarrassingly hokey, as per usual.

NOTE: I am thinking about trying to do some tests with wax and KNO<sub>3</sub>. I was thinking in an old 50ml beaker as a "barrel", as Endimion17 put it. I will make a composition of pure paraffin candle wax and finely divided potassium nitrate with a small percentage of sulfur to hopefully lower ignition temperatures. (I will burn under proper ventilation to avoid the slight H<sub>2</sub>S risk) I will try my best to make the composition stoichiometrically optimal. For mixing I was thinking of slightly dissolving the paraffin in kerosene and making a slurry with the oxidizer and sulfur. I would then try and evaporate off the volatile kerosene while thoroughly mixing. But in the end I may have to melt the mix with a boiling water bath and pour into the beaker. For ignition, I was thinking a candle wick would be perfect. I'll try and have something up by this weekend. I have everything on hand. Just gotta get to it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my little planned experiment. I'm still in the contemplative/brainstorming phase.

[Edited on 24-1-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 05:09

You really need something for the nitrate to bite, something that can serve as a fuel and withstand being heated to the point where the nitrate starts to oxidize, perhaps adding some starch or just a bit of sugar?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 07:05

Ok, I'll try one with powdered sugar proportion, and one with lamp black. I thought the sulfur may help in this aspect.

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 09:07

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  

Would behave pretty much as BP

What was I thinking, *facepalm*. Of course, but less sensitive without the sulphur.

Sorry I am learning a foreign language ATM and my chemistry thinking cap is dusty :D
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 09:32

Quote: Originally posted by Neil  
You really need something for the nitrate to bite, something that can serve as a fuel and withstand being heated to the point where the nitrate starts to oxidize, perhaps adding some starch or just a bit of sugar?

What about magnesium powder?

Let the KNO3 + wax be the bulk of the redox reaction, but the Mg powder would serve as hot spot nucleation sites.

Sadly I don't think the more common/cheaper aluminum powder would work, unless it is prepared in an anaerobic ball mill, because of the very strong oxide layer.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 19:44

3 small scale attempts tonight. All fail. Working in sub gram scale though. Will try variations on sugar, sulfur, carbon, and maybe pyro-Al (German blackhead, 5 micron) if it comes to it, in a larger scale this week.. I just feel that wax as the primary fuel wont work. It's too hard to ignite, even when melted together with a lot of or sulfur or carbon. This wiki excerpt doesn't give me much hope. Maybe when I make the 50-100 ml in a beaker and try to burn it as a normal candle I will get a reaction after some time, if things heat up enough. I'm having doubts though.

Quote:

Paraffin wax (C25H52) is an excellent material to store heat, having a specific heat capacity of 2.14–2.9 J g−1 K−1 (joule per gram kelvin) and a heat of fusion of 200–220 J g−1.[10] This property is exploited in modified drywall for home building material: it is infused in the drywall during manufacture so that, when installed, it melts during the day, absorbing heat, and solidifies again at night, releasing the heat.[11] Paraffin wax phase change cooling coupled with retractable radiators was used to cool the electronics of the Lunar Rover.[12]
~wiki

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 08:38

Quote: Originally posted by Fusionfire  

Let the KNO3 + wax be the bulk of the redox reaction, but the Mg powder would serve as hot spot nucleation sites.

Sadly I don't think the more common/cheaper aluminum powder would work, unless it is prepared in an anaerobic ball mill, because of the very strong oxide layer.

The oxide layer gets fluxed by Potassium oxide and is actually broken as the Al heats and expands in the flame front.
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 08:51

Quote: Originally posted by Fusionfire  

The oxide layer gets fluxed by Potassium oxide and is actually broken as the Al heats and expands in the flame front.

Yeah but the problem is initiating the reaction in the first place.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top