Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: lookin for a powder funnel
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 12:29
lookin for a powder funnel

I apologize in advance if this not the forum for this but I have seen other adds here before and I mean no harm. Can anybody point me to where I can find a 50mL or greater capacity Powder addition funnel? once in a blue moon I will see them on eBay but here ( in Dixie at least) it is very hard to find this one piece of glass. 19/22 or 24/40 preferably but joint size isn't too critical; as I can find adapters. Please pardon the begging but again locally I am lucky to find what little I do..
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 13:01

I assume you mean the ones with an auger. IIRC Ace Glass has them. Probably cost a lot, as you might expect. Patience, vigilance, and eBay will provide one for much less.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 13:26

They're less useful than one would hope. They're only good for slow addition of a solid into a cold reaction mix. if the solvent is kicking up much vapor, the powder you're adding will happily clump and block up the neck of the funnel.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I assume you mean the ones with an auger. IIRC Ace Glass has them. Probably cost a lot, as you might expect. Patience, vigilance, and eBay will provide one for much less.
Exactly! Although I am unsure if Ace sells to individuals (well student but I am not ordering through my school given money matters)

[Edited on 24-1-2012 by Funkerman23]

[Edited on 24-1-2012 by Funkerman23]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 14:49

Yes, Ace does sell to individuals. I have bought several items from them.

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
They're less useful than one would hope. They're only good for slow addition of a solid into a cold reaction mix. if the solvent is kicking up much vapor, the powder you're adding will happily clump and block up the neck of the funnel.

I concur.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 15:29

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

Yes, Ace does sell to individuals. I have bought several items from them.

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  

I concur.
Unless I clicked the wrong link( it says I need to fill out this https://www.aceglass.com/rncommons/ufm/newcust/newcustomer2....) I think I am doing something wrong... if I can even afford half of their glass good lord! They are among the best but cheap is not a word I would use here..
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 15:58

I don't see any problem with that form unless it would be the mandatory "company name" field. Here I offer two suggestions:

1. Just put your own name in that space, or
2. Place your order over the phone. Sometimes when doing it this way all they want is your credit car number. If they ask for your company name just tell them you are an individual.

The worst thing that can happen is that they'll say "no."

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 16:52

My old Pyrex powder funnel doesn't meter, but vapor/gas is hardly a problem since it fits loosely in a 24/40 or larger joint.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 19:53

Put your powder into a balloon fit the balloon onto an adaptor onto your vessel and meter the powder in by feel using a gloved hand. The auger type are elegant and useless, schott make a superior one that uses the pressure from a reflux vapour to force metered packets of powder down into the reflux, i can photograph my broken one if you like.
The balloon works great, if your very tricky use a polypropylene bag instead for uber chem resistance or a series or bends and rounds bottoms.
I just realised i answered a lot of questions you did not ask and none of the ones you did, sorry.

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 20:14

Don't be sorry, that's a gem of a post. I wish I had more to add but if you can photograph the broken apparatus I'd be ultimately grateful.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 05:27

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
Put your powder into a balloon fit the balloon onto an adaptor onto your vessel and meter the powder in by feel using a gloved hand. The auger type are elegant and useless, schott make a superior one that uses the pressure from a reflux vapour to force metered packets of powder down into the reflux, i can photograph my broken one if you like.
The balloon works great, if your very tricky use a polypropylene bag instead for uber chem resistance or a series or bends and rounds bottoms.
I just realised i answered a lot of questions you did not ask and none of the ones you did, sorry.
Actually that was brilliant! It will both keep my hands clear of gases and you just saved me money....well I'll still see about buying one but now it it is more of a collector thing rather than the need to prevent burns.( although eventually I do see the need for steady addition of powder during a rxn)But that is good enough for what I need at the moment.. Please do post photos of that: I have never heard of one like that. Dr.Bob However has them in stock!( the auger funnels) now that is lucky!If anyone else needs one by all means ask him.

[Edited on 25-1-2012 by Funkerman23]

[Edited on 25-1-2012 by Funkerman23]
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 14:43

I agree with Panache about the balloon idea . . .I would rather spend my money on something other than an item which can only be really used under cold, still conditions.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Go To Top