Printable Version  
Author: Subject: problem with solubilities
rikkitikkitavi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2004 at 15:14
problem with solubilities

I have this problem (work related)

I have a saturated Ca-salt solution of an organic acid, Ca concentration is about 1 M.

It is made from Ca(OH)2 + acid neutralized to pH = 7-9 , preferably 8. Since Ca(OH)2 is not 100 % pure , the solution is filtered to remove impurities like CaCO3 , Fe(OH)3 e t c and very important , fluoride (as CaF2)
Ksp CaF2 is 5,3 *10^-9.
calculation for this gives that F- should be around sqrt(5,3 *10^-9 / 1 ) = 73 uM or about 1,3 mg / liter. ( [Ca]*[F]^2 = Ksp )

In reality concentration is much higher ? How can that be? The solution is filtered 100 % , no solids are coming through and it is an extremely fine filter.

/rickard
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 16-4-2004 at 16:06
one guess

I was able to find a number of papers dealing with supersaturated solutions of calcium fluoride. These were in the context of crystal growth inhibition by other substances: polyvalent ionic solutes and organic acids were two common inhibitors. Many of these papers indicated that even low concentrations of inhibitors could dramatically slow CaF2 crystal growth. So... maybe a supersaturated solution was formed, and it would take a long time to precipitate because of other substances in solution acting as inhibitors?

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2004 at 11:45

Calcium ions form complexes with some organic acids so, even though the total Ca concentration is about molar, the free Ca++ is rather less.

Go To Top