Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Finally! Povidone iodine extraction (this one works way better than Rhodiums extraction method)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 02:47

Quote:
Originally posted by LSD25
Wouldn't the PVP-I2 complex bear some resemblance to something between NMP.(HBr)3 / NBS / Quat. Halides?

Apparently what is called PVP-I2 complex is formally not even a complex of iodine with povidone but between HI3 (hydrogen triiodide) and povidone. See this brochure for more details. Though actually both HI3 and I2 do form a complex with povidone.

These complexes have nothing in common with covalent halides (like NBS or N-iodosuccinimide) or halide salts (like tetrabutylammonium iodide or KI). N-methylpyrrolidin-2-one hydrotribromide complex is however a very similar type of complex. Halogens, particularly I2, are mild Lewis acids and interact as such. For example, I2 has a tendency to interact with ROH, ROR R2CO and similar groups in polymers, especially if they sterically fit well around it as is the case with starch. But even Br2 forms solid and relatively stable complexes of similar nature, like for example the complex between 1,4-dioxane and bromine which is often used instead of Br2 being easier to handle.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Nick F
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2008 at 05:25

"Iodine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine - BP 184.3C

Hexane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane - BP 69C

Why are they going to be so difficult to separate?"

Because Iodine is significantly volatile below its b.p.
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 12:03
Iodine from providone-iodine?

After looking for an OTC supply of iodine, since I ran out, I remembered that they don't sell tincture anymore - just the providone-iodine complex. I was wondering, does anyone know a straightforward way to decompose that or render elemental iodine from that in any way? I only need a catalytic amount, so thats not an issue.

<sub>Edit by Nicodem: This post and the replies were merged with the already existing one on the same topic.</sub>

[Edited on 5/7/2008 by Nicodem]

It\'s better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 12:58

There was a thread on the subject a month ago or more. UTFSE!

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 13:09

I've never dealt with this substance, but an idea would be to reduce all of the iodine in the complex to iodide, using e.g. NaOH/Na2S2O5, followed by incineration of all organic matter at high heat in a crucible.
Then you have a solid containing iodide salt; now it's just a matter of dissolving it in water, oxidising this with HCl/H2O2 and filtering off the iodine.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 14:26

Pssssttt... (Hint: This is not worth it. Get some Na/KI).

Even 50 grams of iodide will yield something like 35g of iodine (theoretical). That should be WAY more than enough for anything you would be doing... Well, except for mass production of... Nevermind.

Shouldn't this thread be closed or moved?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 22:32

I did use the search engine and didn't find the thread that it is now in. Perhaps my word choice was slightly different. And don't worry, I'm not looking to produce anything of that nature. I just needed a catalytic amount, but I put KI on my recent order so I'll just get it from that.

It\'s better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
MissionPossible
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2009 at 02:02
oh sh*t

Quote: Originally posted by len1  
Unfortunately KI is not an option here, as its in the same class as I2. If the US restricts I2, KI must surely follow - those who can use I2 for illegal purposes, should have no problems with the high school oxidation of I-. Unfortunately the restriction on I in any form is just about the only effective 'precursor control' theyve come up with because theres no high concentration source of this element in everyday life. The restriction on P is much less severe, because its all around. But really I dont see the point in restricting either, once you remove the ephedrine, the illegal use is gone, and they become ordinary chemicals. I wish theyd make chemistry a mandatory subject at school so all these lawyers and politicians would know what they are talking about.

Im new here and mainly just lurking at the moment. I have
read a few posts and i think i read a post where len1 said he
too was in OZ ? is that correct Len1 ? My problem is that i have
just purchased KI from eBay. I done a lot of research on KI
being restricted or band but could not find any info on it at all
so i assumed that it was safe to order. If KI is restricted in OZ
can Somebody please give me a heads up on where there's a
list that i can find the restrictions in OZ ?

Law is mind without reason, Happiness depends upon ourselves. " Aristotle!"
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-5-2009 at 18:12

Its a state by state proposition in Australia. If you search'poisons act' or 'misuse of drugs act' in your particular state it will give you some idea.Be aware that its not only chemicals but many items of common glassware and equipment that are subject to restrictions.For example possesion of a condenser in Western Australia can land you in jail for 5 years and/or cost you $25,000.
Amateur chemistry here in the fourth reich of oz is not for the faint hearted,even if your motives and intent are 100% legal.As for iodide salts,if it was purchased from an oz company or reseller,or is coming through customs than count on a report to the clandestine laboratories detection unit.Due to its use in methamphetamine producion its sure to raise a flag.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 21-5-2009 at 20:58

If you put hydrogen peroxide (3%) and a small amount of acetic acid catalyst in tincture of iodine, cool, and wait a while, you'll get iodine as a precipitate.
MissionPossible
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2009 at 05:59

Thanks Starman. I tracked down the PDF doc for the restricted poisons and drugs act in Queensland but that doesn't even mention iodine in its elemental form let alone KI. I'm not after I2 and have no intent on manufacturing any illegal substance so I guess I'll test the customs detection methods and see what happens. I will post the outcome if I'm able to ;)

Law is mind without reason, Happiness depends upon ourselves. " Aristotle!"
unome2
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 21:36

MP, I seriously suggest you go grab the latest version of the Drugs Misuse Act 1986 (Qld). You'll also want the regulations to the same, ie. Drugs Misuse Regulations 1987 (Qld).

In this instance, you need to grab s.9A of the Act which reads:

Quote:
9A Possessing relevant substances or things

(1) A person who unlawfully possesses a relevant substance or thing commits a crime.

Maximum penalty--15 years imprisonment.

(2) In this section--

relevant substance or thing means--

(a) a substance that is, or contains, a controlled substance and the gross weight of the relevant substance is of, or exceeds, the gross weight specified in the Drugs Misuse Regulation 1987, schedule 8A in respect of the relevant substance; or

(b) substances that together are, or contain, a controlled substance and the total gross weight of the relevant substances is of, or exceeds, the total of the gross weights specified in the Drugs Misuse Regulation 1987, schedule 8A in respect of the relevant substances; or

(c) a thing specified in the Drugs Misuse Regulation 1987, schedule 8B.

So what we do is find Schedule 8B of the Regulations (which is not on Austlii, but will be found on the Qld Gov't site) and see if any particular substance is prohibited. NB Nothing is illegal unless it is prohibited (some chems are expressly prohibited of themselves, whereas others are legal, only the unlawful possession thereof is illegal. The relevant act/regs contain several passages that "unlawful possession is a crime", this requires 2 components in regard to those substances/things, (1) that possession itself is proved and (2) that that possession is unlawful or for an unlawful/illegal purpose.

NB The information in this post is for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as legal advice, it is NOT legal advice. If one wants to rely upon the materials cited, one should take the time to look up the Qld Gov't Website and get the latest version(s) of the Legislation/Regulation from there. The ones from Austlii (as linked) have a tendency to be at least 1-2 months out of date.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 22:17

povidone was an adulterant in little red pills wasn't it? I thought that was the real need. This seems an absurd way to get I2.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
MadScientist63
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 18:08
huh

Do I understand that OP is stating providone solution and Betadine are diff, that Betadine has 10% I2 where Povidone has less?

If the above is what is being stated then it is wrong, they are the same exact thing, Povidone is merely the generic name for Betadine
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top