Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: You can't Hide
franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 14:33
You can't Hide

" Puff the Magic Dragon ", I see you and raise.

It's raining heat seekers, how's this for the ultimate metal storm.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/01/self-guided-bulle/
http://news.yahoo.com/self-guided-bullet-strikes-target-mile...

http://www.metalstorm.com/content/view/13/112
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Storm

freedompyro
holmes1880

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 17:44

Too bad they cost way too damn much...
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 23:42

Now they just need to invent a gun for it...

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 08:20

thank god you don't have to aim anymore.
killswitch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 09:21

Is there anything the Department of Defense won't do to make it easier to kill brown people?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 09:28

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  
thank god you don't have to aim anymore.
Read the article closely. Use of this munition requires a laser designator, so someone still needs line-of-sight. The difference is that the laser must aim precisely, but the gun need only aim approximately.

In terms of weapons history, this is much more akin to a laser-designated bomb, of the kind whose video feeds made such a splash during the first Gulf War in the early 1990's. These were steered from drop with movable fins, just as this new projectile is. The progress is (1) in miniaturization and (2) a change of delivery vehicle from an airplane to a gun. I might have expected there to have been a naval gun version of this first (less miniaturization), but there wasn't, although I'm guessing it will arrive at some point.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 09:42

I predict that fast-moving defensive mirrors can be deployed so that these projectiles may be 'returned to sender'! (:D)

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 11:22

one could also move the laser as the target moves

BOLD

GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 13:49

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
I predict that fast-moving defensive mirrors can be deployed so that these projectiles may be 'returned to sender'! (:D)

P

oh shit don't tell the pentagon of your new defense mechanism!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 13:52

Mirrored armour? (:D)

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 06:06

Mirrors just make it better - the smart bomb is tracking the light reflecting from the target. What you need is perfectly absorptive material, so no light is returned. Or better yet, total internal reflection to guide the laser beam around the target and out to a nearby wall or tree. Not too nearby, of course!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 07:17

I hadn't thought it out, obviously, and was seven eighths joking but blinding the fucker directing the laser might, at least, cost the military a few bob in providing protective glasses . . . ? (:D)

P

A Einstein
GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 09:04

Well, if you have a mirror that is at a sufficient angle so that the laser is not visible on the mirror... right?
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 12:31

A Dazzler is a directed-energy weapon intended to temporarily blind or disorient its target with intense directed laser radiation. Developed for both Bradley and other APC-type vehicles, a notable example was the Hydra (after the mythological beast); was placed on hold and then abandoned as it violated UN and Geneva Conventions & protocols on weapons of war that were specifically designed to Blind, deafen, or produce on-going pain with no remittance. Developed in the UK and USA under auspices of "less-lethal" mass-casualty mobile weapons (MCMW) program, the weapon would blind on a permanent basis those individuals who were not a certain distance from it. Unfortunately those lasers used in range finders offered the same approximate wave lengths as many of the weapon designs (especially those mfg prior to 2008) and not visible ( cross path) to the human eye.

The majority of laser guided munitions as well as area weapons have certain fail-safes that prohibit the weapon from arming until a certain distance has been accessed and prevent 180 degree turns (or even 90 in most instances). That is not to preclude the rocket of propulsion system from making a radical turn but prevent (larger munitions) from "target access detonation". Modern NATO area weapons from 40mm grenades up through large placement guns have this fail safe & even some older Soviet-block weaponry had what was known as "distance arming".
The Raufoss Multipurpose (armor-piercing, explosive, incendiary) Ammunition is considered to be one of the most vicious.50 caliber ammunition. However HEAP (high explosive armor piercing) 30 cal bullets have been mfg recently using a tungsten perpetrator and a very unconventional detonation device. This also, technically violates the 2nd Geneva Convention (as do shotguns & flame throwers) when used against human targets. So it could be asked; how much weight does that document carry?

Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 15:31

That reminds me of the general who on being told about a disabling film of glue that could be used to envelop the enemy, preventing them mounting any kind of action saying; "Yeah that'd be fucking great ─ then we could easily blow the the shit out of them" . . . (:D)

P

A Einstein

Go To Top