Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Nicotine Extration. (At Home)
sciencefreak666
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 00:50
Nicotine Extration. (At Home)

hey guys,
i am trying to find a easy method to extract nicotine from tobacco at home.
guys, before we start, i would like to tell you that this is not my first time and i have already did it with many other methods including the apple osmosis one which i found the cleanest and easiest.
so i know how dangerous is it, and if i want to commit suicide, i will just put couple of drops of disolved nicotine in alcohol on my skin.
so okay, my aim:- find the most easiest and cleanest method of extraction of nicotine from tobacco at home.
which also means that i am not going to use any fancy chemicals or apparatus for this process.

and this is active discussion for development. rnd. so any feedback will be appreciated.

okay so this process i have in mind, and i am going to start it tomorrow after few feedbacks from you guys.

1) buy 100 g of tobacco, moderately expensive. not the cheap one which has all the crap nor the expensive one with the addictives in it. (suggestions on type of tobacco are welcomed. please mention name and cost)
2) take around 1 litre of tap water. now we all know if the water is acidic, extraction is better. now, i have done with hcl, so lets try something different. more homely. wat you guys think about lemon juice. (citric acid) couple of lemons in 1 litre water? or what you say about vodka?
3) stir the mixture. boil it for 5 mins. then keep it like that for 24 hours. then again boil it for 10 mins.(stir ever hour). then collect the water. then put the soaked tobacco on a piece of cloth and squeeze the remaining water out of tobacco. (now here guys, i think if i grind the tobacco first then it will be better for extraction, but more impurities will be there in water other then nicotine. what you all say?
4) then throw all the crap away and simmer the water till all the liquid is evaporated.
5) now the tricky part. purification. i have tried the coffee filter method with the help of vaccumm. but which method you guys think i should use here? i need something easy and efficient.

so guys, this is all i got in my brain so far. what you people say? all suggestions are welcomed.
(PS:- i am typing all this for second time. first time i typed everything properly but due to some crappy server error i had to retype it again and i am in kinda hurry. so i typed it this way. hope you understand.)
thanks
sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 01:38

guys? no one intrested?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 06:35

You would be better parking this in 'organics'.

simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:24

I think extracting nicotine from nicotine patches would be easier and cheaper, but I can't tell for sure.

[Edited on 4-2-2012 by shivas]
sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:31

no its not. 10 patches contain 20mg nicotine which is for like 60$ or something.

Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:56

I call bullshit.

I am on nicotine patches to give up smoking and ive just steped down to step two.

step two patches have contain 35mg each they deliver over the day 14mg
step one patches deliver 21mg a day (I dont have any on me so I am not exactly sure of the actual content)
this should put them around 52mg each.
there are 7 patches too a pack so they last the week.

cigarettes contrain around 1mg each
http://www.erowid.org/plants/tobacco/tobacco_nic.shtml

patches here cost around $20 per pack cigarettes here cost around $15 per 25.

[Edited on 4-2-2012 by Ephoton]

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 08:56

I'm going to grow tobacco for a grafting experiment (tomacco from the Simpsons). Maybe I'll try this.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 09:21

a whole smoked cigarette contains ~1mg of nicotine. They actually have about 10 times that, but pyrolysis is obviously an inefficient route of administration. So say each cigarette contains a gram of tobacco. 10mg per gram, 100 grams equates to what a gram or so of nicotine?

You extraction method isn't much of an extraction at all. It would leave you with a pile of goop. Usually this is why chemists employ solvents... Do you really want to 'squeeze' concentrated nicotine juice? Even if your wearing gloves and goggles? Why vodka? What would vodka help with that wet chemistry couldn't?

Why do you want to do this anyways? Risking your life over something you don't seem to really even understand.

Due to the nature of this stuff I can't recommend doing this. Btw, "LD50 on nicotine is 0.5-10 mg/kg"

[Edited on 4-2-2012 by smaerd]

ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 09:41

Well, you lucked out the PKa of one of the nitrogens on nicotine is 8.1 and the Pka of citric acid for the first deprotonation is 3.1 so that will work, though how do you plan to uhh remove all the other components of the tobacco such as germacrene and anabasine and piperidine, those will extract as well (though germacrene more so if you use the vodka), on top of the other components from the lemon juice, other trace amounts of elements that you may find in the plant such as mercury or polonium. Like previously mentioned you will more than likely get goop this way, tobacco contains about 3% nicotine maximum that leaves 97% of other things to screw with this? What is your goal exactly?
sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 09:45

about nicotine patch, got to give it a second thought. but i want to find a method for this.

You extraction method isn't much of an extraction at all. It would leave you with a pile of goop. Usually this is why chemists employ solvents... - can you please suggest a alternative way then? easy one.

Do you really want to 'squeeze' concentrated nicotine juice? Even if your wearing gloves and goggles? - just a thought. wouldnt it be better for extraction?

Why vodka? What would vodka help with that wet chemistry couldn't? - nicotine disolves better in alcohol. so i was just thinking it might increase chance.

Why do you want to do this anyways? Risking your life over something you don't seem to really even understand. - well you dont learn unless to try it right?i will be carefull. dont worry.
sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 09:52

@thatchemistkid
"Well, you lucked out the PKa of one of the nitrogens on nicotine is 8.1 and the Pka of citric acid for the first deprotonation is 3.1 so that will work," - but is there any better solution?
"though how do you plan to uhh remove all the other components of the tobacco such as germacrene and anabasine and piperidine, those will extract as well (though germacrene more so if you use the vodka)," - yes this is my biggest problem. i am searching for easy way of purification and i really cant find any. can you please suggest?
"on top of the other components from the lemon juice," - damn, it almost slipped my mind.

Like previously mentioned you will more than likely get goop this way, tobacco contains about 3% nicotine maximum that leaves 97% of other things to screw with this? What is your goal exactly? - my goad is to find a efficient way of nicotine extraction using normal things. now becoz of all this things, i need your help. hope you will guide me
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 11:52

Caffeine is a much safer extraction to learn on. if you spill the product on yourself or someone else mistakes it for something else, etc, it could very well be their end. I'd highly suggest learning the BASIC principles of extractions.

sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 12:44

dude, please read properly..
this is not the first time i am doing this.

only thing is, i just need a simpler method.

as i mentioned, apple osmosis was very clean method. but it wasnt efficient.
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 12:46

even if that is the case smaerd 100g of tobacco here costs near $70

3 packs of 52mg patches cost $60 and thats 1.09g of nicotine.
still cheaper to go via patch.

what do you want nicotine for anyway ?
It is hell to get off I am doing everything I can to stop using it.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 13:11

dude, relax on that. i already got 250 gm of tobacco. so i am not planing to get nicotine patch.

second, just for fun. yes i know how dangerous it is. and as i mentioned, if i want to commit suicide, i will dissolve it in alcohol and put couple of drops on my hand. or better, i wont wear any gloves.

i just want to figure out a method to do it in simple way.
reason, nicotine is considered to be one of the dangerous toxins on earth and couple of drops will seriously do you for good.
no matter if you inject it, inhale it or your skin absorbs it.
so i just want to find a easy, efficient and moderately safe method of doing it.

so as i mentioned before, i am thinking of weird stuff like lime juice and etc etc.

now, seriously speaking. the think which is really getting on my nerve is method of purification. i cant find any easy and efficient method.

there are some crazy stuff on internet like coffee filter and vaccum, which i had tried before. but they are not that efficient.
sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 13:13

and btw, 100g is 3+ gms of nicotine.

you do the maths
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 13:19

Few Pointers to make your presence longer lasting on this forum:

1) Use the edit function instead of doubleposting.
2) Don't start the same thread in different sections
3) Take care of your language

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 16:03

you know I already explained to you via U2U how to purify this, using methods that are doable at home? purifying stuff from natural plant sources is not trivial the links you sent showed lack of understanding of what was really in the extraction mixture.
sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 04:56

yes, and it will very very helpfull. you have covered most of things and frankly it is one of the easiest method to do it.
and the best i found so far.

but i am kind of looking for something more easy, that can be done at home. with less apparatus.
i know, my goal is impossible, i wont end up with pure nicotine without it. but i am hoping to end up with something close to pure nicotine.
frankly speaking, nicotine patch thing makes it more easy. but i am looking for this from tobaco.
frankly speaking, i realise. that from 250g of tobacco, at the max i can get 5 gm of nicotine at home. using thatchemistkid method i am sure i can get more then 15gm which is almost 3 times more. but i need simple and i am ready to settle for 5 gms.
and it will have impurities, but my goal is to have one with minimum impurities.

please ignore my false language.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 07:46

Find a first edition copy of <em><a href="http://amzn.com/0721671217">Introduction to Organic Laboratory Techniques</a></em> by Pavia, Lampman, & Kriz. "Experiment 5: Nicotine from Tobbacco." The third edition does not contain this experiment--possibly removed due to toxicity concerns. Sorry, I do not own the second edition.

Skimming through, you'll need sodium hydroxide, ether, methanol, and basic labware. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't even think about dealing with nicotine.

[end spoon-feed]

[Edited on 2/5/12 by bfesser]

sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 05:49
water vs di-ethyl ether.

hey guys,
consider 5 gm nicotine dissolved in 100 ml water.
and when i add 50 ml of di-ethyl ether to it, will the nicotine which is already dissolved in water get dissolved in ether?

if it will then whats the reason behind it?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 06:44

Nicotine Hcl?, Nicotine sulfate? free base? What temperature, with shaking,etc? Please be more specific with your parameters. It sounds like your asking about an <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_base_extraction">"acid base" extraction</a>.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 07:54

There are already several threads on this topic, you might search a bit. Nicotine extraction is gruesome as this is soluble in almost anything.

I remember that I liked best the apple trick. putting an apple into a tobacco-water mix and after some days extract the apple, the skin was serving as a decent membrane. I tried this, it works, almost no goo.

Good luck.
/ORG
sciencefreak666
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 08:45

well,
free base. (extracted from tobacco)
room temperature and with shaking.
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 09:34

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
There are already several threads on this topic, you might search a bit. Nicotine extraction is gruesome as this is soluble in almost anything.

I remember that I liked best the apple trick. putting an apple into a tobacco-water mix and after some days extract the apple, the skin was serving as a decent membrane. I tried this, it works, almost no goo.

Good luck.
/ORG

This reminds me of Man, Woman, Wild show on discovery, when they used dried plums to filter the salt out of sea water so they could drink it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top