Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Please welcome our latest moderator, ScienceSquirrel
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
That does sound like good, sound sense, Neil!
Climate, religion, politics and the like should be verboten here.

P

Or at least confined to whimsy? (a place I dare not go)
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 09:27

More trolling is what that is. And yeah IrC and myself could probably both
make more constructive use of our time elsewhere. Nothing we say seems to be getting through.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 09:28

Quote:
IrC and myself are over sixty, and we each have Native American ancestry.

I'll hit sixtyfour in two months Rosco, and my ancestry is Celtic, basically.
Yours and IrC's heritage is a noble one; it just seems a pity you seem to have discarded it as casually as it appears you have!

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 09:32

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
make more constructive use of our time elsewhere. Nothing we say seems to be getting through.

I'm not sure how I was trolling..?

Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 09:34

There is nothing "casual" about the journey which brought us here.
And there has been no discarding of anything, that is only your idea.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 09:39

Quote: Originally posted by Neil  

You can't accept the point. You have a "rebuttal" where there isn't one. But you just have to say something because it is a compulsion to reply and dispute what I said as having no validity when it is valid. It's like nobody can make an intelligent statement without that somehow threatening you that they may be right.

Your observation about separating "science" from aspects of philosophy and reasoning otherwise which you think somehow are contaminants to science is your own theory, and the idea that certain topics can safely be debated in whimsy is also incorrect.

[Edited on 22-2-2012 by Rosco Bodine]
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 09:46

Reality is subjective? How could it not be? Unanimous thought would be the death of humanity.

What is done is done, why not move on? Surly when you were a mod people perceived your actions differently then you preceived you own?

Trolling is intentionally provoking a response, disagreeing with someone is not trolling per say. For the most part I stopped following the GW thread after my last post when it started to go round in circles again. The stuff I saw go to detritus was largely due. Not following the thread how could I know that pieces were deleted and not simple archived In Det. ? As far as I knew when I said that I was being conciliatory not provoking.

I did not know what I did not know? Even so it remains that there was no sardonic intention, till the bicycle comment at least. That was to much to resist.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 10:02

I realize full well that my responding and also IrC responding in kind could also bring the hypocrisy aspect as a liability ....but then I would defer that argument
to who started that stuff. Anyway, I have better things to do than to continue
this. There's no constructive purpose here. What's done is done. I'll probably stick around to watch for the chemistry or other technical discussion which seems more politically neutral. The other philosophical discussions are going nowhere,
because subjective truth as you say is an abstraction, and there "truly" is an honesty or perception lacking about a lot of things by too many people stumbling along and trying to find their own way there to "truth" that is anywhere near the real thing.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 10:22

Quote: Originally posted by Neil  

You can't accept the point. You have a "rebuttal" where there isn't one. But you just have to say something because it is a compulsion to reply and dispute what I said as having no validity when it is valid. It's like nobody can make an intelligent statement without that somehow threatening you that they may be right.

Your observation about separating "science" from aspects of philosophy and reasoning otherwise which you think somehow are contaminants to science is your own theory, and the idea that certain topics can safely be debated in whimsy is also incorrect.

[Edited on 22-2-2012 by Rosco Bodine]

I professes an opinion and am assumed to be arguing and destroying = troll? Quid ego dico?

Everyone has a different world view but to all NaCl is salt. To all it exhibits constants which can be verified measured and agreed upon. Where is the philosophy in a grain of salt?

I am not disputing nor rebutting because I am not in fact arguing. I bear no animosity nor desire to be correct only to expresses myself.

The point of whimsy was not that it was a chamber of safety and understanding but that it was a isolation tank for madness and whim, anything can be debated if the people debating are civil and willing to concede that winning is not the be all and end all BEFORE they start name calling. So long as the whim is in whimsy who cares. I have never requested to get in there because I have no desire to beat my head against the wall I want to discuss chemistry, I want to learn chemistry I want to take my skills further and further in chemistry and I want to see and hear about others doing the same.

My point about ethereal beer, I assume that is what you refer too, was that there is no general consensus amongst humans as to whether or not there is a ethereal beer, what sort of beer it is, how big is the mug, does it come with fries and how cold would this beer be, if there is beer.

Given that arguing over this is about the same as arguing over the taste of the sands on Pluto there is no relevant reason to discuss it so that by discussing it all that happens is that one contributes to disorder and exclusion of those who fancy wine or perhaps ginger ale.

So why do it?

This is a chemistry forum, why would it be reasonable to assume that everyone needs to be partial and familiar with everyone else's beliefs? There are many places for such discussion but it is truly trolling to force ones believes on another because one feels it is apt to do so.

Because of this it is logical to assume that excluding belief and focusing on common ground, chemistry, is the constructive thing to do. This is not a matter of silencing people or taking away their voice, this is a matter of people taking it upon them self to recognized that there is a time and a place for everything and this is not the place or time for that which is not for certain topics, namely all topics which detract from the point of the forum which is the discussion of chemistry.

Edit: posted this then saw your reply to me last reply even though I was still replying to your reply to my previous reply thus making this reply

[Edited on 22-2-2012 by Neil]
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 14:02

Look on the bright side, Neil!
It's been dumped into Detritus!
We're able, at last, to say goodbye to the moronic "Say Goodbye to Global Warming" shite . . .

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 17:11

Look on the bright side, Neil!
It's been dumped into Detritus!
We're able, at last, to say goodbye to the moronic "Say Goodbye to Global Warming" shite . . .

P

Which proves to all that your only motive is to stop everyone from trying to have any form of reasonable discussion on the topic because you have made it perfectly clear you hate it and will stop at nothing to eliminate all discussion on the subject. I for one thought any subject where lives are being forever reduced in quality based upon an overwhelming fraud based agenda is something which deserves fair and open minded debate. Clearly you have decided it is your right to destroy at will any attempt to conduct such discussion by anyone. If I were the moderator of this site I would ban you and block your IP because it is not your right to destroy debate nor is it your right to decide who gets to discuss what on this site. The fact you are still here lowers in my mind the quality of administration of this site.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 01:31

Quote:
If I were the moderator of this site I would ban you and block your IP because it is not your right to destroy debate nor is it your right to decide who gets to discuss what on this site. The fact you are still here lowers in my mind the quality of administration of this site.

Why don't you contact Polverone, IrC; I'm sure he'll be only too glad to relinquish control of his site and place the reins in your very capable hands? (:D)

P

A Einstein
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 02:04

Why should I. In 7 years I have never contacted anyone to complain. I am not one of those wienie's that has to whine to authority figures I handle my own affairs. My only point was if there are even the most minimum of standards you should be history. Go ahead and keep making replies I am done with you and the malignancy you exude.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 02:23

Quote:
Go ahead and keep making replies I am done with you and the malignancy you exude.

Yeah! You know how it is IrC, my life is sooo sad the only pleasures left to me come from winding up the seriously 'tough guys'!
Ooops! Another puddle! (:D)

P

A Einstein
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 08:55

Quote:
Go ahead and keep making replies I am done with you and the malignancy you exude.

Yeah! You know how it is IrC, my life is sooo sad the only pleasures left to me come from winding up the seriously 'tough guys'!
Ooops! Another puddle! (:D)

P

Your pleasure is sapping my strength. Please find another place to practice it. I reviewed your posting history and it turns out that you do contribute to actual chemistry threads, but this is the sort of thing I see more often -- perhaps because this is the sort of thing that shows up in highly contentious threads I have to moderate.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 09:26

Sorry Polverone, I was pushing the boys around a bit . . .
I'll be nicer to them in future! (:))

P

A Einstein
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 09:59

I think eventually this argumentation is coming down to two groups of people. Yes I have grouped us!

The sophists; those who believe that individualism is divine, and that their rights and judgements should never be questioned by others. Their pursuit of pleasure is their own path, and the effects there-of on others should not stop them from pursuing pleasure [materialism]. Furthermore, this can be argued in a divine light (thank you Rosco).

The COMMIES; those who believe that the actions of any individual may affect the whole, and be detrimental to the whole, and that the individual's pursuit of pleasure should regard and respect the opinions of others. Furtheremore, no divine right is needed in this side of the paradigm.

I win!
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 10:44

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  
I think eventually this argumentation is coming down to two groups of people. Yes I have grouped us! [...] I win!
No, you don't win. And no, I deny your grouping. I'm not in either of the clubs you name. It's asinine, purely divisive, and immature: "I'm entirely right; everyone else is entirely wrong." And thus your two "groups": me and not-me.

There's a much more important distinction available: that between those who deny scientific results and those who don't. There's still plenty of room to disagree about how to act based on the results of science, true, but you've gone and made rhetorical allies between deniers and realists. That's just plain stupid, because it harms your own cause.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 11:00

No i did win you're just not on my level to see. See?
Rosco Bodine's true error was bickering with a solipsist. That's just never worth doing.
GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 11:44

I haven't attempted to really argue with Rosco ever since his "I've had just about enough of you're 'thinking' " comment. Now I've just been trolling.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 11:53

I haven't attempted to really argue with Rosco ever since his "I've had just about enough of you're 'thinking' " comment. Now I've just been trolling.

So, your admittedly a troll? Is that something you take pride in? At least your honest. Maybe you can get a custom title, "Troll and Proud", or "Self Proclaimed Troll."

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 11:58

I admit I have trolled, specifically with IrC and Rosco. I get carried away sometimes... Its all in good fun.
I try very hard to keep from trolling in serious posts, and delete them if someone points them out as unnecessary.

I am very bored at my job.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 12:03

I am very bored at my job.

Me too, but I try to stick to science on this forum...

[Edited on 24-2-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 22:06

This whole episode seems like a bad drama forum soap opera parallel to the Chronicles of Riddick ....where forum trolls are the necromonger collective who are trying to "convert" the unbelievers into more necromongers and disappear them to the underverse "parallel reality" that isn't this reality. Pulverulescent is like Lord Marshal of the Necromonger "troll collective", torn between this reality and the underverse where hissingnoise awaits, and here and now IrC is Riddick the Furyan. I seem to be an envoy for the Elementals who have brought the reckoning by proxy and am somewhat bemused by the irony of it all. Of course detritus is Crematoria where some have a kinship with the tunnel dogs, and others are not so lucky. I'm not sure who is the tunnel dog, maybe it is a manitou or totem and symbolic avatar for a higher power :D

[Edited on 24-2-2012 by Rosco Bodine]
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 03:47

Water off the proverbial duck's back, young Rosco . . . (:D)
But don't let anything I say stop you! :cool:

P

A Einstein
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top