Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: burning carbohydrate and lipid?
Eng. Tom
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 02:16
burning carbohydrate and lipid?

Hi
I want to Know what does our body need to Consume carbohydrates?and what are the solutions or gases produced after the reaction?
ِ
ِAlso what does the body need to burn lipid? and what are the gases or solutions produced?
Bonee
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-2-2012 at 01:57

excuse me for posting a wikipedia article, but what you asking is such low level knowledge, you should really start at the basics, and you can get every answer you was looking for in this article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration
Chemstudent
Harmless

Mood: Contemplative

[*] posted on 19-4-2012 at 20:21

Carbohydrates themselves aren't even direct substrate for energy. They must be released as sugar then enter the Krebs cycle to be viable. Same goes for fats, they too become sugars if and when necessary. Not advised, but it is entirely acceptable for your body to run entirely off protein/fat. The same could neither be done for fat or protein as we absolutely 100% need those to live. I tell people that protein and fat can become things in our body, a carb however can only ever be an energy substrate. People who continue to eat their carbs/sugars well past the point of giving the body just the energy it needs to sustain you through the day only serve to feed their senses, a practice no different than illicit drug use, all feeding a sense to feel better.

Anyways, just remember we have 3 main ways of utilizing energy. 1.) Creatine Phosphate (muscle reserve, fast acting) 2.) Glycolytic (glucose) 3.) Oxidative (fat/aminos)
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 19:47

Quote: Originally posted by Chemstudent  
Same goes for fats, they too become sugars if and when necessary. Not advised, but it is entirely acceptable for your body to run entirely off protein/fat.

People who do so end up in "ketosis", where the oxaloacetate in the Krebs cycle drops and the Acetyl Coa starts to pile up... so it goes into the ketogenesis pathway. I think the heart does pretty A-OK with this, but I always wondered how good it could be for the liver and brain over long periods.

curiousone
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-5-2012 at 14:18

I have to say that I have not heard about fats being converted to sugar. The glycerol part of triacylglycerols can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.
Carbohydrates that are broken down to glucose go through glycolysis before entering the Krebs cycle. The glycolysis pathway occurs in the cytosol, ends in pyruvate, which enters the mitochondrion, where it is converted to Acetyl-CoA, which then enters the Krebs cycle. From pyruvate to Acetyl-CoA, CO2 is released.
And glucose is oxidized too, where NAD+ is the oxidizing agent in one of the steps of glycolysis.

But to your original question, if you still want to know, do you mean what enzymes our body needs or are you thinking about cofactors?
If you have a biochemistry book it would probably be best to look up the major pathways there.

Go To Top