Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Cheap, Quality Glass Source (Laboy Glass)
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 16:15

Flat shipping no matter how much the order weighs? How is that possible? Anyhow, if this company really does give a flat shipping rate of $15, I'm definitely going to buy from them. Thanks a lot for sharing.

EDIT: They have all kinds of glassware at brilliant prices. I started building up my lab over 3 years ago but it is still poorly equipped because theres only so much money I can put into my hobby. I have been relying mainly on ebay to find reasonably priced glassware. Maybe now I can afford to get properly equipped.

[Edited on 15-4-2012 by mycotheologist]
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 16:25

Quote: Originally posted by mycotheologist  
Flat shipping no matter how much the order weighs? How is that possible? Anyhow, if this company really does give a flat shipping rate of $15, I'm definitely going to buy from them. Thanks a lot for sharing.

EDIT: They have all kinds of glassware at brilliant prices. I started building up my lab over 3 years ago but it is still poorly equipped because theres only so much money I can put into my hobby. I have been relying mainly on ebay to find reasonably priced glassware. Maybe now I can afford to get properly equipped.

[Edited on 15-4-2012 by mycotheologist]

On their website, it says that orders over $2000 USD receive free shipping. Although, IIRC, the threshold was $500 on their ebay store which offers a subset of their product range.

I really hope it's not going to take a month to arrive, though. Surely EMS should be a lot quicker than that (it's already shipped - it was in Beijing last I saw).
Geko127
Harmless

Mood: Day dreaming---Zones Stress Head.

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 18:39

give it 2 weeks ffs

Ask No questions and ill tell no lie\'s.
Halcyon
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 05:13

In my experience EMS has taken 2.5 to 3.5 weeks. Longer than I'd like, but considering the shipping prices I can overlook that.

Their EBay shipping threshold might be lower, but the prices are usually a little bit higher.
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by adamsium  

I really hope it's not going to take a month to arrive, though. Surely EMS should be a lot quicker than that (it's already shipped - it was in Beijing last I saw).

I've ordered things from China (I'm in Ireland) before and it usually takes 3 weeks to arrive. Most of the major cities in China are near the east coast so I'd imagine shipping to the US would be faster than shipping to Europe.
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 11:57

Quote: Originally posted by mycotheologist  
Quote: Originally posted by adamsium  

I've ordered things from China (I'm in Ireland) before and it usually takes 3 weeks to arrive. Most of the major cities in China are near the east coast so I'd imagine shipping to the US would be faster than shipping to Europe.

I'm in Australia, so we'll see. Regardless, I've been told that their glassware is quite decent, especially for the price, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it once it arrives.
Geko127
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 16:03

Is it still a no show ?

adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2012 at 02:06

Quote: Originally posted by Geko127  
Is it still a no show ?

I actually just checked the tracking, and it came out of customs this afternoon, so I'm hoping for a delivery tomorrow! :D

Customs was the only hold up here - ordered on the 9th, it was shipped on the 12th, arrived in the country on the 17th, and sat in customs until the 26th, today. I've never had that happen before... I'm wondering if it was 'randomly selected' for a more thorough inspection. Still, 9 days seems excessive. I recall other things being in and out of customs in times from barely an hour to about a day, not almost a week and a half.

I also placed another order with them for some clamps, 8 days after the glassware order. That only took 5 days to arrive from when it was shipped and 2 of those days were a weekend. The clamps seem decent enough. The boss heads are certainly better than the ones I ordered domestically - which were described as being some sort of a zinc alloy, as far as I recall - 2 of the 3 snapped on clamping them to the retort stand... and there's no way I'd trust the remaining one to support anything more than a thermometer or the like, and even then, extremely reluctantly. At the exposed ends of the breaks, 'bubbles' could be seen inside the metal - they were largely hollow as a result. So, I was pleased with the Laboy ones. They were all packed very well, too. I was surprised at the huge amount of cushioning they used for boss heads and clamps - there was absolutely nothing you'd consider to be all that fragile in there.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I think once it arrives.
Dragunov-21
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 02:33

I'm glad I've got all the gear I want so far... Dunno if it's those 300 Glocks that made it through recently or what but they seem to be inspecting things very closely lately...
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 05:46

Well Laboy came through.

I must say that the glass is top notch :D
Palladium
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 14:20

I have very good experiences with Laboy Glass. It's ridiculous cheap. The quality was better than I expected; I have actually hydrogenating in their 1000 ml and 2000 ml RBF. I figured out this by myself, if it would work or not; I asked a guy who studying chemistry since many years, and he recommended me not to hydrogenate in a RBF. He had wrong. Of course there's difference from RBF to another. I tested first to pressurize 2 bar, with safety protection. Then added some heat by setting the RBF in boiling water. No problem at 2 bar. No problems at 4 bars either. More than 5 bars I don't dare to do, but it will stand against much more than this.

I have cracked one of their RBF, and this was used very much. Thermal shock did finally crack it (I wade a mistake), but it took long time and didn't fall apart - only a fracture.

The biggest treat for my glassware has always been that the glass-cork gets stocked in the flask. The technique to solve this stocked cork has always worked with WD-40 (or similar "rust / penetrating oil") together with heat from boiling water. 100% of the attempts have worked without cracking the flask/cork. Before I found out this method, 100% of my RBF's with a stocked cork was cracked and wasted.

By the way, echowzh123 is an excellent seller with great service.
Geko127
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 15:58

:D:DYa ya. I second that, Great to hear you got ya much loved glassware:D

Geko127
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 21:50

Nice kit ay. I took the option of purchasing an additional flask. So theres 2 500ml flasks 1 is a 3 neck. 1 250ml. 1 100ml. 1 50ml .1 25ml. 1 125ml sep funnel. 1 clasin. 1 distil head. 1 vac addaptor. 1 reflux condenser(fraction colum). 1 west condenser. Thermo addaptor. 1 plug. 1 pipet. Not to bad for around $190

[Edited on 28-4-2012 by Geko127]

adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 06:21

My package arrived yesterday, as I'd hoped. It does look to be of decent quality. I've not yet tested it as I, unfortunately, don't have any vacuum grease - I'm waiting for it on backorder from my local supplier.
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 10:11

If you're just waiting for the vacuum grease to use your new labware, check this thread out.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=18358#...

in this post, I suggest an inexpensive and readily available substitute.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
Dragunov-21
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 22:54

What's wrong with vaseline? :P Hell, for simple stuff I've used body-shop's lip balm.
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 29-4-2012 at 05:53

@ Dragunov-21: As I mentioned in my post above, vaseline (also known as petroleum jelly) is far from being an inert substance, and with heat, it can melt and mix with the material you're working with, especially organics and solvents. If you don't care about the purity of your reagents or possible contamination, then go ahead, use lip balm (ugh!)...

But we stray from the topic, I have a bit of Laboy glassware and it's not too bad, actually nicely crafted, and a billion times better than the "other" chinese cheap glassware... Bomex! Now THAT, is crap!

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-4-2012 at 09:51

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
If you're just waiting for the vacuum grease to use your new labware, check this thread out.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=18358#...

in this post, I suggest an inexpensive and readily available substitute.

Robert

Thanks for that, Robert. I had actually read that thread earlier today, along with any others I could find on vacuum grease and PTFE sleeves. I'd been considering using the sleeves, but from what I've read, they sound like an expensive and not necessarily better alternative. I'm still not entirely sure of the best way to clean up the grease, though. I've not really managed to find a consensus on that.

I also need to work out the best set up for connecting the condenser to the water supply. Some sort of pump is obviously going to be best for me, I just need to work out which one would be ideal. I did quite a lot of reading today about both this and hooking up an aspirator vacuum pump (also on backorder with the same supplier as the vacuum grease - I think I'm going to contact them tomorrow and get an update on where things are at). It seems like some people have managed to set up a pump system of sorts to run an aspirator, but what I've read seems to indicate that using the same sort of pump you might use to run the condenser wouldn't pull any appreciable vacuum. Also, it looked like the rigs people had come up with to run an aspirator from a pump were absolutely well beyond what I'd be able to do with the facilities and tools I have available for that sort of thing (i.e. essentially none). I'm starting to think that just using a mechanical vacuum pump may be best in my situation, particularly since where my lab will be set up will not have a tap / sink (I am moving in the next few weeks and intend to use a spare room as a lab / study). Even if I did have a sink nearby, there's also the fun of trying to attach the aspirator to the tap itself (I did see a couple of tap adapters that people had put together from various plumbing parts).

Does anyone have any advice on this? I'm somewhat reluctant to start a new thread on it, since I know it's been discussed so many times. I have searched and read plenty, it's just difficult to know what the best solution is going to be, particularly with a lack of experience of doing this outside of an actual university lab where these things don't even really need to be considered as it's all just there.

I also have another question about tubing. I've tried measuring the hose connections on the condensers, and it looks like the narrowest part of the outermost 'barb' (the very tip, farthest from the condenser body) is about 8mm in diameter, with the widest part of this same barb being about 10mm, and it looks like each barb is slightly wider than the previous as you move toward the condenser body. What size hose should be used for this? Would I get 8mm ID, 10mm ID, or do I need something narrower still to give a tight fit? I'm also wondering if the type of hose makes a difference here - I would think that PVC tubing might stretch less than the latex / rubber types. That raises another question - is it preferable to use PVC tubing, or rubber tubing for this? I have been looking at this type of PVC tubing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290370979192 Is that type appropriate? Or is there a better option (PVC or otherwise)?
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-4-2012 at 22:55

Adamsium stay away from PVC tubing.It can stick on the barb of your condenser and people have been known to break same trying to remove.Additionally the tubing goes rock hard when using ice water.The red elastomer tubing seems almost universal for this purpose.(you may have to hunt a bit for it in oz.)

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
Dragunov-21
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 02:15

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
@ Dragunov-21: As I mentioned in my post above, vaseline (also known as petroleum jelly) is far from being an inert substance, and with heat, it can melt and mix with the material you're working with, especially organics and solvents. If you don't care about the purity of your reagents or possible contamination, then go ahead, use lip balm (ugh!)...

But we stray from the topic, I have a bit of Laboy glassware and it's not too bad, actually nicely crafted, and a billion times better than the "other" chinese cheap glassware... Bomex! Now THAT, is crap!

Hey, what's a little coconut flavour in my vodka? :P
Geko127
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 22:28
Sale

So theres 2 500ml flasks 1 is a 3 neck. 1 250ml. 1 100ml. 1 50ml .1 25ml. 1 125ml sep funnel. 1 clasin. 1 distil head. 1 vac addaptor. 1 reflux condenser(fraction colum). 1 west condenser. Thermo addaptor. 1 plug. 1 pipet. For sale now

[Edited on 28-4-2012 by Geko127]

cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 04:53
LABBOY

Quote: Originally posted by Halcyon  
I hope this doesn't come across as an advertisement, but I just wanted to give a plug to Laboy Glass, a manufacturer/seller in China.

I've dealt with them a number of times over the past 2-3 years and have been very impressed by the quality of glassware, price and customer service offered.

They trade on eBay under the name "echowzh123", but you'll find that purchasing directly through their website (laboyglass.com) gives you a reasonable saving. Often, items will be listed on eBay and not in the main site's catalogue, in which case you're best off ordering via email. Shipping is a flat $15 per order (not item) anywhere in the world.

That's about it; the primary reason for this post is simply because if I hadn't have been put onto these guys when I first became interested in chemistry, I wouldn't have been able to afford the basic kit (and wouldn't have been able to justify the expense of the less-basic stuff I've purchased recently).

Cheers - Halcyon

*EDIT* I realise that they're known around here a little, just putting it out there for those who aren't aware.

[Edited on 15-2-2012 by Halcyon]

I HAVE ORDERED MY WHOLE LAB FROM THEM, GREAT PRICE AND QUALITY.
Geko127
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 15:46

Above kit is for sale. And its new.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 16:18

Above kit is for sale. And its new.
Granted this may be hijacking the thread but what joint size anyway? You might have more luck starting a new thread though..
Geko127
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 05:39

24/40, & Its not high jacking the thread, because its a one off. PMs please.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top