Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Cheap, Quality Glass Source (Laboy Glass)
anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2012 at 23:58

I decided to try out Laboy. Got the following for $272.27 + $15.00 shipping.

Wilmad-Labglass charges $212.89 each for a 600ml vacuum buchner funnel. Laboy charged $57.81 each and the quality is identical IMO.

(I wonder how many American distributors have been importing Chinese-made glass all this time and slapping on their logos for a quick turnaround?)

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2012 at 15:30

Any one else have a small square with Chinese pop up when they try to submit an order? I can't seem to print screen it but it keeps dragging me back to the address and billing section.( Please forgive the thread jacking but I am at a loss as to what to do) Should I email them the order instead of using their cart? Edit: fixed that problem. lets see if their email comes through.

[Edited on 30-6-2012 by Funkerman23]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2012 at 12:46

Well except for the reflux( Dimroth) condenser everything was well made and stellar. AS for the dimroth I don't know if it was DOA or it died as I put away my other glass.. Jesus these things are fragile as hell and know I haven't the faintest clue how to fix this.
The flasks are well made and the seams are as clear as a summer day. You will not be disappointed . I will also say this: they ship 2 weeks from the date on the invoice. I payed them the very next day( after submitting my order) and sure enough they sent it out 2 weeks later. as for ems they will take around 5 days depending on where you live.

[Edited on 22-7-2012 by Funkerman23]
BlazeBall
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 06:53

I ordered the £150 chemistry set from him and £20 worth of other stuff, and while I was impressed with the quality, I wasn't impressed with the fact it took 3 weeks to arrive and the £30 customs and handling charge I received. The delivery tracking with EMS was also terrible, saying that attempts to deliver had been made when they in fact hadn't.
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 12:57
Lab Boy

I have been buying glassware from Lab Boy for several years now. None has broken or cracked so far. I am very pleased with the performance of the products as I have a large selection of it.:P
Quote: Originally posted by Halcyon  
I hope this doesn't come across as an advertisement, but I just wanted to give a plug to Laboy Glass, a manufacturer/seller in China.

I've dealt with them a number of times over the past 2-3 years and have been very impressed by the quality of glassware, price and customer service offered.

They trade on eBay under the name "echowzh123", but you'll find that purchasing directly through their website (laboyglass.com) gives you a reasonable saving. Often, items will be listed on eBay and not in the main site's catalogue, in which case you're best off ordering via email. Shipping is a flat $15 per order (not item) anywhere in the world.

That's about it; the primary reason for this post is simply because if I hadn't have been put onto these guys when I first became interested in chemistry, I wouldn't have been able to afford the basic kit (and wouldn't have been able to justify the expense of the less-basic stuff I've purchased recently).

Cheers - Halcyon

*EDIT* I realise that they're known around here a little, just putting it out there for those who aren't aware.

[Edited on 15-2-2012 by Halcyon]
Antimony Pentafluoride
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 19:23

I've ordered from Laboy and would agree that the quality is very good but that their delivery speed is terrible. Overall I'd still recommend them above the massively overpriced competition.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2012 at 03:22

you can also mail them and ask for custom glassware, I got 2 29/42->29/32 and 2 29/32->29/42 adapters for 100$ and a few cents.
I asked for discount because I am buying 2 of each, and they said they can not give discount on custom glassware but they will give me 10 joint clips for free :)
so if you have special requests you just need to email them

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 17:40

Note to anyone else ordering from them: the max size of flask they sell is 2 liters. apparently anything bigger is made via a mold and they do not use molds. as I did not know this I thought I'd ask them. as for thermometers they do sell non ground jointed thermometers. they claim the accuracy id about +/- 1 degree Celsius. I was quoted about $5.50 for a 0 to 300' Celsius thermometer.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 12:36

Just had a second order from them and I am stunned. the Glass is hand-blown and it makes for a very clean looking product. Their allihn condensers have offset barbs but that is not an issue for me, I am hard pressed to find any bubbles on the seams( Much better than my corning 19/22 glass). the Pressure equalizing funnel I bought is also crystal clear and of a sturdy thick glass. as before the flasks are very well made and is a pleasure to see. Worth the wait and worth the money any day of the week.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top