Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Preparation of Hydrazine Sulfate Paper
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 12:23

I have had very bad experiences with decantation. Lost all of my yield a few times by doing that. How does one do the latter? How are they glued together?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 12:28

Cooldbloodedly rational elder, huh? Why thank you, Nicodem. That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me. :P

I would like to apologize, however, Hexavalent. I tend to word things bluntly. I did not mean to offend you. I'm sorry.

Here's a freebie reference for you from Org. Syn.
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=CV1...

You'll notice that in many of the articles referencing this Org. Syn. preparation, the hydrazine sulfate is used to prepare hydrazine <em><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_situ">in situ</a></em>. This is often preferable to isolating and handling hydrazine directly. You may wish to consider hydrazine sulfate as just a convenient form of hydrazine which is safer/easier to store and handle--although still significantly hazardous.

From Wikipedia article entitled <em><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrazine_sulfate">Hydrazine sulfate</a></em>:
Quote:
[Hydrazine sulfate] may be preferred over pure hydrazine or hydrazine hydrate for laboratory use because it is easily purified if necessary (by recrystallization from water),[19] and it is less volatile and less susceptible to atmospheric oxidation on storage.

From Wikipedia article entitled <em><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrazine">Hydrazine</a></em>:
Quote:
Hydrazine is highly toxic and dangerously unstable unless handled in solution.

[edit]
It appears that this thread is going off topic onto a tangent. Perhaps a moderator would like to split it? ;)

[Edited on 2/20/12 by bfesser]

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 12:32

Thanks bfesser, sorry for reacting (lol) so badly to the way you worded your genuine concerns and advice.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 12:32

I really have little to no idea, probably with epoxy. I just remember seeing a picture it in the rhodium archive on erowid. And then there was a tube coming out of the lower funnel with a clamp on it acting as the valve.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 13:29

Thanks, I sometimes (when doing microscale extractions) shake up my sample and immiscible solvent and then quickly dump into my burette for separation. Obviously, the volume is a big restriction but separation can be extremely sharp.

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 19:13

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Thanks Polverone. I assume to make pure liquid hydrazine you could mix the sulfate with a stoichiometric amount of base and distill of the hydrazine?

:o Let me get this straight, you've synthesized hydrazine sulfate, but you have no idea how to work with it? Maybe you should finish kiddie chemistry before graduating to the big kid stuff. In all seriousness, stick to experimental work that won't kill you or others until, your understanding has improved. However, it is not my intention to discourage you from pursuing chemistry.

Sheesh don't be too harsh with the young man. It's obvious he has the "wizard alter ego" we all know so well, except of course those of us who are liars and deny it. Checking back in the family geneology there was likely a wizard wedding or else there was a wizard in the woodpile :D Now the challenge for the young man is to not be reckless and to survive long so that more future bearers of that "wizard gene" continue to inhabit the gene pool per his own happy contribution. Putting those progeny there is more fun than
any synthesis.....but some longevity is necessary to fulfill that mission. So take caution along the journey so the journey is not prematurely terminated to deprive the traveller of the better things yet to be enjoyed in the future. A safe journey means watching your footing along the way. All reckless will get their Darwin Award and there their journey ends, perhaps to find them joining a heavenly choir earlier than would be otherwise had they been cautious. A word to the wise is sufficient. Nicodem is correct.

Being bright enough to be intrigued by experimental curiosity also must be an inclination "kept on a firm leash" and well controlled or it will drag you into a perilous thicket of thorns and rocks and snakes like a bolting hound gone chasing a rabbit in the woods. Watch carefully your steps in technical environments and your attitudes and methods, knowing and believing well the certainty that good situational awareness is needed for improving your odds of surviving that bit of walking the dog.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.4shared.com/flash/player/player.swf" width="350" height="24" style="undefined" id="ply" name="ply" quality="high" allowfullscreen="false" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="file=http://dc201.4shared.com/img/208374017/f5555bfa/dlink__2Fdownload_2F7tEzNP_5Fw_3Ftsid_3D20120304-231053-7cbc12b2/preview.mp3&volum e=80&autostart=false"></embed>

The Wand Of Alchemy

The fabled Wand of Alchemy
In Uther's realm now veiled by sea
Outside and in with castled view
Once on earth and under true
'Tis far beneath the shining dream
Of sun and moon, or starlight's gleam
When these orbs sheds tears of gold
A mirrored splash it sees unfold

'Tis far beneath the shining dream
Of sun and moon, or starlight's gleam

Where lies the Wand of Alchemy?