Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diethyl Phthalate as a denaturant?
marko
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 19:05
Diethyl Phthalate as a denaturant?

Hi, I found a cheap ethanol based rubbing compound at the drug store, and figured it could be easily purified for use as a reagent, or fuel, or aftershave, or... I'm a bit of a teetotaler these days, so I won't be drinking it. :p

Anyway, judging by the ingredients list on the bottle, it looks like it is what the excise act refers to as 'DA-2O', which is 95% ethanol with (denaturants per 1L):
2.5mL diethyl phthalate
0.4g camphor
7mg denatonium benzoate

I suppose just simple distillation should leave those all behind, but perhaps there is a simpler way. or maybe the small quantities won't have much problem in many reactions. Not really sure how I feel about applying DEP to skin, or burning it - I was under the impression phthalates have some gross decomposition products and such, but can't seem to find too much information on DEP itself.

I can't figure out why the DEP is in there. Camphor for smell makes sense (although I can't seem smell it) and denatonium for taste, but.. DEP? hmm.. any ideas?
Engager
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lagrangian

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 08:37

Diethyl phthalate has high boiling point ~300C, and is used as marker. Presence of a denaturing additive allows to supervise the expense and target use of denaturated alcohol. In case if denaturated alcohol used not to destination (in food and alcohol products) the proof of its no-purpose use is positive analysis result for presence of a denaturing additive.

[Edited on 20-2-2012 by Engager]
marko
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 01:34

Right, but why not just detect the camphor, then..? or the bitterant. hmm
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 03:50

When you mix it with water the diethyl phthalate comes out of solution and it goes milky.
It sounds similar to surgical spirit which is sold in the UK and contains typically diethyl phthalate and sometimes methyl salicylate.

Go To Top