Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acquiring chemicals for energetic syntheses
inspector071
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 13:57
Acquiring chemicals for energetic syntheses

I've been a lurker for a while, and have been performing chemistry experiments for quite a few years. I've recently become interested in the energetic materials. I started off by making some black powder, and now I'm making my way through the timeline into more modern energetics. Some of the ones I've made recently are nitrocellulose and picric acid. My nitric acid was made from KNO3 and concentrated sulfuric and seemed to turn out quite nicely, with only a faint yellow tint. I synthesized the picric acid from acetylsalicylic acid, but didn't start out with much and lost a lot of the final picric acid from filtering. Is acetylsalicylic acid the preferred reagent for household synthesis of picric acid? If not, where can phenol be acquired?

As soon as I distill some more nitric acid, I plan to create RDX. I bought some >99% hexamine heating tablets to try and nitrate.

I would also like to make some styphnic acid/lead styphnate but I don't know where resorcinol can be found.

Tetryl and pentaerythritol tetranitrate are also down on my list for energetics to synthesize but I cannot find a source for N,N-dimethylaniline or pentaerythritol.

As an individual, what are the best methods for acquiring phenol, resorcinol, N,N-dimethylaniline, and pentaerythritol?
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 15:47

Is there a real practical reason for an individual to make tetryl? Every time I think of making it I give up to the idea of just mixing rdx and tnt(also very inpractical). I don't think there's a convenient way of getting pentaeritiritol. I have opportunity to purchase but it will cost almost as much a the fuming nitric acid.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 16:05

Open for the spoon.

TNP is easily prepared from ASA in the home lab. It is a great and cheap substrate and is available globally. What more could you ask for. Who needs phenol? Follow a good procedure (try Rosco's ASA >TNP wright up) and you will get great yields and good purity with a single recrystallization.

Who needs pentaerythritol? I hear that erythritol is a great sugar replacement though. It is many people's sugar alcohol of choice.

Resorcinol is discussed to death here. It can be synthesized. I hope you used the forum search engine. If you didn't you missed a lot. Resorcinol can be purchased online as well, IIRC.

Good luck and don't advance to quickly. These experiments you plan have a great capacity to cause suffering and loss.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
inspector071
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 18:29

Thanks for the responses. I just thought I would attempt to make tetyrl, but you're right: it doesn't seem very practical to make. And while I have easy access to toluene, the TNT synthesis is rather involved.

Is ASA preferred over SA to make TNP? Both are easy to get. Half a pound of SA seems to run about $14. I believe I found Rosco's procedure you mentioned. Is it TNP from ASA and NaNO3 you are referring to?

Good point about the pentaerythritol vs erythritol. I'll order some of that and make some ETN instead.

It's been a while since I've been involved with a forum regularly, however I did search for each of my compounds but did not find much on a source of resorcinol. It is of course available on chemical supply sites and it seems to be in acne/skin treatment in rather low concentrations, but I can't yet find a source of small and pure amounts.

I am starting off slowly, partly because I can only distill so much nitric acid in a day with my 500 mL retort. Now I need to start thinking about primaries. Silver acetylide sounds promising, and I still have a can of CaC2 from my days of playing around with carbide lamps. I read up on a method of purifying sterling silver, though I might just be better off getting silver nitrate online somewhere. Will silver acetylide be sufficient for detonating picric acid, RDX, and ETN?

caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 23:50

Read this forum. Here is at least one discussions on Ag2C2. I was able to get phenol (and resorcinol) in a special shop. I bought there something useful like H2O2, phenol and resorcinol. As for me, picric acide can be obtained very easy and you have no need in distillation. Read this forum, I explained how it could be done in the most simple way. Usually mixed acide can be replaced by H2SO4+KNO3 (NaNO3). I made gun cotton using Ca(NO3)2. Situation with RDX is worse: H2SO4 destroys it and therefore conc HNO3 is a must.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 03:20

Styphnic acid is less powerful that TNT!
Its lead salt is a deflagrant used to initiate lead azide as LA needs high temperature for its certain detonation.
Hardly worth the effort, though . . .

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 13:41

That's true. Lead stiphnate's ability to initiate secondary hi explosive is low compared with lead azide for example. But, one the other hand, preparation of styphnic acide is simpler than one of lead azide. If I remember numbers correctly, in one thick russian book was written something like this: to initiate tetryl one needs 0.4 gr of lead azide or 2 gr of lead styphnate.

inspector071
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 14:06

If I get my hands on some mercury, I can make some fulminate. With the chemicals I currently have, I could also make silver acetylide and lead picrate. For detonating either RDX or ETN (or a mix of the two), and using picric acid as a booster, what would the preferred primary be?
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 22:20

silver acetylide is good enough. using picric acide as a booster to detonate RDX is rather strange idea- RDX is more sensitive. Once I used mercury fulminate and at nearly killed myself. I think (but my opinion isn't shared with many people here) that TATP is nice primer. Do not make large amount of primers- 2 gr is more than enough to make one (or two) detonators. If you wanna make silver acetylide, you must bubble acetilene through hot solution of AgNO3 + some HNO3. To make TATP, use HCl as katalyst.

inspector071
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 22:51

Ah, from all my reading so far I've seen picric acid referred to as a booster, while RDX and ETN are secondaries. I would have assumed RDX is less sensitive. What are some good sources for making a proper detonator? The only reading material I've scrounged up so far on the subject is the Army's munitions handbook which explains how to make blasting caps from brass casings. I reload for my firearms so I have plenty of brass on hand. I've also heard of people using straws and plastic when dealing with picric and its salts. Is fuse to primary to secondary the preferred method, or would a nichrome hot match work fine for silver acetylide as a primary?

Does anyone do much with DDNP? From what I've read its safer and more stable than a lot of other primaries and it can be made from picric acid. I guess what I'm really looking for is a guide on primaries. Something like "this amount of primary can detonate this amount of secondary."
freedompyro
holmes1880

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 23:46

Silver Acetalyde is a suicidal primary... You must be thinking of the double salt Ag2C2.AgNO3.

If you can get a primary to detonate any amount of a secondary the detonation will continue to propagate through an infinite amount of the secondary... LoL! Btw, Picric Acid is an even more insensitive secondary than RDX and ETN.

I never really understood why people use boosters for cap sensitive explosives. The only thing that needs a booster is something that isn't cap sensitive like ANFO in a mine hole or a cheddite...

Good luck with Lead Picrate... Have not managed to get it to detonate anything without large amounts. The picrate metal salts and DDNP are very finicky in their synthesis. Temperatures, agitation, etc... It all matters! You can end up with something that works like a secondary, or if your lucky you end up with something that works as a primary...

[Edited on 23-2-2012 by freedompyro]
inspector071
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 00:07

Thanks for the tips! So is a double salt just a 1:1 ratio of silver nitrate and silver acetylide, with the nitrate acting as a desensitizer/inhibitor?

I'm aware once the secondary detonates it will continue to propogate, but im wondering if anyone has made a table saying "you need X g of lead picrate (lead styphnate, mercury fulminate) to detonate RDX (PETN, picric acid, TNT)."

I may not use a booster, it was just a thought to plan out a reliable cap design. What do you feel is the easiest primary to work with for secondaries like RDX and PETN (or ETN)?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 03:38

A lot comes into factor, like shape, confinement, density, placement design, etc. It is not as black and white as your asking. I like silver acetylide double salt as it is pretty east to prepare and works great. I also would place around .3g of melt-casted or compressed ETN in first, then the compressed silver acetylide. Silver acetylide's flame sensitivity is such that a pyrogen layer is usually not needed, IMO.

[Edited on 23-2-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

Go To Top