Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Is it possible to get sick from potassium ferrocyanide?
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 12:40

I know I should, if something explodes the glass could break and create a bigger problem than before. I'm just going to buy a full face shield one of these days.

BOLD

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 12:42

Ah, the foolishness. A face shield is a SUPPLEMENT for glasses or goggles, NOT a replacement.

[Edited on 24-2-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 12:46

You sound like my dad. :P

BOLD

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 12:56

wow! ok.
you know rain X could work against fogging up ...i dont think there is any methanol in it..

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 12:56

Concerned for your safety!:)

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 12:59

i do wear goggles! and this pair is fine to me it doesnt fog up...i dont understand what the big deal is

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 13:01

No, no, I was talking about AirCow's belief that I sound like his Dad:)

DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 16:43

Quote:
Ah, the foolishness. A face shield is a SUBSTITUTE for glasses or goggles, NOT a replacement

I believe the word you are really looking for here is SUPPLEMENT
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 16:52

Yes, goggles for the eyes( good pairs don't fog up much) and a face Shield over it when working with grinders, pressing caps, shaking sulfuric acid with elemental bromine in a Sep funnel to dry it :o, etc.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 20:45

That last one was pretty specific, any story to go with it?

BOLD

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 20:48

Watch this. 4:45 and on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB4MmPTOBxg

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 03:26

I don't use gloves, except for really nasty stuff or for stuff which quickly can pass through the skin (e.g. conc. H2SO4, conc. HNO3, mercury salts, liquid Br2, solutions in DMSO). I have a tap in the lab and if I get some chemicals on my hands, then I immediately rinse them away with some water. Without gloves I can feel much better and I certainly can handle things more safely than with (thick) gloves.

I have glasses and these provide some protection. Using goggles is the same for me as using gloves. Only in exceptional cases (e.g. when I work with small amounts of energetics in test tubes or when I think there is a chance of strong splashing) I use goggles.

Usually I do not do very dangerous experiments and if I play around with energetics then I use exceptionally small quantities (tens of mg, little heap on the tip of a small screwdriver). I personally think that the use of very small quantities is the best safety measure one can take. Many experiments work equally well with 50 mg as with 1 gram, but are a lot safer with 50 mg. This is true for the risk of fire, explosion and the risk of poisoning yourself.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 09:44

My practice in the lab is very similar to woelen's regarding gloves and safety glasses. I do have the advantage of an efficient hood with a double pane safety glass sash. I perform all my experiments in my hood, but only turn the fan on when I think it is needed. Same with the sash - I pull it down when needed.

I emphasize keeping the rest of the lab clean, ie, practice good hygiene by cleaning up glassware and disposing waste promptly. I do a full range of chemistry with emphasis on organic. Most of my inorganic preps are to support my organic experiments. Also my scale is usually around 10 grams.

In regard to potassium ferrocyanide, I weigh it out for drying using no safety equipment. I use a spoon so I never actually touch it. I have read the MSDS and see no reason to wear gloves or goggles. Like woelen I wear glasses. Linus Pauling in his General Chemistry textbook says that ferrocyanide is so stable that it is even difficult to get it to react with acid. I assume he means at room temperature.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 13:17

These symptoms sound more like a panic attack than poisoning. I think what could have happened was that you THOUGHT for a moment that you heated the compound to decomposition temperature, at which point you feared cyanide poisoning.

Having been in a similar position before, I can relate to it and I know it's not fun. The brain is really good at playing tricks.

As mentioned before, if the symptoms have passed, sit back and take a deep breath of fresh air, you are not under any immediate danger. The symptoms of cyanide poisoning are quite different, rapid heart rate not being one of them.

Hope this was helpful.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 27-2-2012 at 07:12

Several years ago there was a fatality at the facility i was working in involving skin contact with Kferrocyanide. Its not as innocous as one might think.
After the investigation by the university the death was attributed not to the intial Kferrocyanide skin contact, which had been widely blamed for the fatality, rather it seems the next twenty seven tonnes of the chemical that sluiced out of the hopper crushed and asphysixated him.
People still dispute the finding, the university has now altered its practices and trains people not to stick poles directly up into open hoppers in an effort to loosen the caked up chemicals.
Apparently he was wearing gloves and goggles but was texting at the time of the accident.
His concentration may have been diverted because its really hard to text message wearing huge pvc gloves. The university has now banned this practice,
I should work for the onion

This story is not true, rather it is a witty aside.
;)

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top