Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Butyl rubber gloves being dissolved?
inspector071
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 12:21
Butyl rubber gloves being dissolved?

For a long time now I have used a pair of military butyl rubber gloves; the kind that go with the MOPP suit. They fit well (size small for me), are comfortable, and are quite long, extending to my elbows. Lately, the chemicals I've been working with have included concentrated nitric acid, sulfuric acid, and mineral oil for an oil bath. When washing my glassware, the gloves are exposed to diluted acids and a layer of mineral oil. Now they are sticky, sticking to each other and other plastics, leaving behind a black rubber residue. Washing them in concentrated degreasers and detergents doesn't seem to do anything for the stickiness. What is eating the gloves? My thought is the mineral oil, but it would surprise me.

What kind of gloves do you use for working with concentrated acids or nasty solvents? I'm sure nitrile is appropriate for dilute acids, but I've heard concentrated acids and organic solvents will eat right through them.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 12:43

Can't be certain what is happening to your military gloves, although, yes, nitrile gloves are great for a wide range of chemicals - but, of course, there are exceptions; the solvent dimethyl sulfoxide will go right through many standard gloves and through your skin, taking with it whatever solute is dissolved in it. Nasty way to go if your solute is toxic, although some muscle rub creams take advantage of this skin penetration property to hasten their effects.

Secondly, and very importantly, it is important to remember that conc. nitric acid has the possibility to set nitrile gloves on fire!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 12:46

Neoprene on latex might work but I never enjoyed the idea of handling Nitric that closely..Nor can I guarantee it will be impervious to concentrated acid(s) but so far they have done well for me.
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 13:17

Butyl rubber is dissolved by a great number of organic solvents.
I'm quite sure that the mineral oil has diffused into them and made them sticky and mechanically weak.
Butyl rubber gloves are one of the best choices for handling aqueous hydrofluoric acid, which is the only chemical in my home lab that I use mine for. In the organic lab, butyl gloves are completely useless.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 13:17

In my experience, rubber seems to be very readily attacked by nitrogen dioxide, and the sticky gunk you describe forms on it. But there does not seem to be any problem with dilute nitric acid (at least not with >10% conc).
inspector071
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 15:36

Alright, well I guess when I'm cleaning labware with only dilute substances left on them I'll use some disposable nitrile gloves and use my butyl rubber gloves whenever I'm at risk for spilling concentrated chemicals like nitric acid on my hands. I actually just ordered another pair of those military butyl gloves so I'll have a fresh new pair.

Go To Top