Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What kind of stirrbar for viscous slurries?
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 07:38
What kind of stirrbar for viscous slurries?

Hi there,

well, see topic. What kind of shape whould you choose for your stirrbar to handle peasoup-like slurries?

I've got a commercial stirrer, very old but the magnets and motor seem to be very strong (at least compared to my previous PC-fan ghetto setup ;) )
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 07:44

I have a big, hexagonal, thick stir bar. It works great for thick slurries. Use a slow speed. The bar is as long as my 600ml beakers are wide, and nearly 1inch thick. They also have ones shaped like an X at a slight angle (the points are higher than the center), I assume for RBFs. I will try to take some pics in a minute.

[Edited on 8-3-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 08:39

For viscous slurries, an overhead stirrer is often preferred. Otherwise, as Bot0nist said, the largest stirbar you have at a low speed.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 09:00

I will have to attest with bfesser. I have a huge stirbar, but I often prefer to use an old food processor I picked up for a dollar at a yard sale.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 09:11

Not very chemically resistant as is, I imagine.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 09:18

No, probably not . . .although its stood up to everything I've used it for so far . . .

Another item that I like, for stirring general aqueous solutions, are those coffee frothers available cheaply from supermarkets . . .I suspend it in a clamp and lower it into the liquid. Works fairly well in situations where magentic stirring is not wanted or feasible.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
homeslice
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 17:57
Rare Earth

There are actual specific stir bars for viscous solutions.

Do a good search for Rare Earth Magnetic Spinbars. They are green. And they do spin out a lot less than just a regular white spin bar. The downside is that they cant be used at high temperatures.

Heres a nice page for more information!

http://www.belart.com/shop/Resources/Samarium%20Cobalt_Rare%...
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 03:12

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
I have a huge stirbar, but I often prefer to use an old food processor I picked up for a dollar at a yard sale.

This might not always be a good idea...

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/426631/4...

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by AndersHoveland]
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 04:52

Overhead stirring is impossible.
I've got a stirrer for a drilling machine, but this is more suited for paint.
Not for acids ect.

If you can give me a source for such a thing, made from or coated in PTFE, and not for +100€ ....;)

I'll try to get some samarium-cobalt bars. Unfortunately they are pretty expensive - about 30€ for a 50mm bar...

Thanks for your advice.
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 05:44

Maybe you could seal a few of <a href="http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D44SH&cat=167">these</a> (good to 150C) or one of <a href="http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D3X0">these</a> (max. temp 80C) in a glass tube. Then you'd have a rare-earth magnet stir bar for about $5. Hot glue it in place to keep the magnet from rattling. Any thoughts?
resveratrol
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 20:06

I have a large egg-shaped stirbar which I would employ for situations like this, as an alternative to overhead stirring. I would have it set at a slower speed as others have said - I would presume the larger/more mass your stirbar has, the higher the speed you can have it going at.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 23:38

No, it is quite the opposite. Firstly, the large magnets often place strain on the magnetic stir function, only allowing it to go at a somewhat slower speed. Secondly, if the magnet does decouple, by your fault or not, if its heavy and going quickly it can easily pass through the walls of the glass, destroying your vessel and spilling chemicals everywhere.

Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 08:52

Well if you are using it in a thick slurry as the thread suggests the stirbar will simply stop, not spinning, and just wiggle a bit as the magnets in th plate continue to spin much faster.. It's happened to me many times, I doubt it would ever go through a flask or even continue moving at all unless you use a lower viscosity liquid. Even then, I've never had a magnet shoot away. It has always just stayed where it is but wiggle really fast, then I stop stirring and restart. This is common with larger ones, it's actually the smaller ones that will start going around the entire inside of the flask and go crazy.

I have found you can get better stirring for thicker mixtures using a normal hexagonal bar (with "ring" around the middle of it) instead of the egg shaped, they do spin on RBF's if you choose the right size.
resveratrol
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 19:00

Hm. Well, I guess I was thinking the larger the stirbar you're using, the more mass it has, thus a stronger attraction and decreased likelihood of decoupling as a result of the resistance posed by viscosity. And when it does decouple, i wouldn't expect it to break glass. I've personally never experienced breaking glass using even higher speeds with non-viscous liquids.

Either way, it's beating a dead horse at this point. I would just run it at slow speed.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 06:14

Why can't you make a stirring rod attached to a driller via thick rubber tubing? That's how it was done for the most part of history.
Most if not all drillers today employ a speed setting and a lock. Just insert a metal rod into the driller and use strong, thick piece of rubber tubing to attach the glass stirring rod which you've modified before. And of course, fix it with a lubricated hollow cork going through the neck of your vessel.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 19:01

I have a bunch of odd shaped stir bars left, some are X shaped, circlular, or other patterns, designed for different special uses. Look at Belart.com under stribar, and see which looks best to you, they make severy type imaginable. I have most of them available. Let me know. I need to post a photo of some of the ones I have, still.

http://www.belart.com/shop/stirring-c-21.html?page=5&sor...

Go To Top