Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: PbO2
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 23-6-2005 at 23:52
Photos

Making lead acetate.

First off, the lead oxide. This was created electrolytically with a potassium chlorate solution (I would prefer sodium but I don't have any on hand) plus other ingredients (KClO3 alone seems to turn basic and plate lead out?), washed and calcined until orangish yellow. PbO is a light yellow and this is much darker. It's supposed to turn orange/red (Pb3O4) but it hasn't in an hour of good oxidizing heat, any thoughts on that?

Maybe 50-100g here. Haven't weighed it yet.

Tim

LeadOxide.jpg - 55kB

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 23-6-2005 at 23:56

Copper acetate solution. Basic copper carbonate (obtained as posted http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=271&am...) dissolved in vinegar. But it isn't very well dissolved, it's quite turbid and shows no signs of settling. I have heated it with no change. What's going on?

It plates lead quite admirably, but the layer seals instead of flaking off. Does it need agitation, or less pure lead? (Mine's about 99.9%, it forms crystals on solidification, at least it used to, might be 99.5% after as much use and remelting as it's gone through.)

Tim

CopperAcetate.jpg - 20kB

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Quince
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 00:05

Interesting. My copper acetate is not green but deep blue.

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 00:08

Had a feeling about that. Does it change color on dilution? (Does mine for that matter, hm better check that.) Addition of Cl ions? Maybe my carbonate contains residual Cl complexes.

Tim

Quince
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 00:16

Your carbonate in there is green as well. It should be blue.

I made the carbonate by mixing a sulfate solution with sodium carbonate (washing soda or roasted baking soda) solution. Sulfate supposedly is sold in hardware stores, but I've still got some left that I brought over from the Old World a dozen years ago...

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
zoomer
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Curious

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 07:38

Quote:
Originally posted by Quince
Your carbonate in there is green as well. It should be blue.

Metastable basic copper(II) carbonate, Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2, results from the process you describe with room temp materials, and is a light blue in powder form. However, when oxidized, that material converts to the green stable form, Cu2(CO3)(OH)2, which is what appears to be in the pic in the referenced thread. Both dissolve nicely in acetic acid to form dark blue copper acetate.

12AX7, that ain't copper acetate. :) I'm sure you didn't use heavily chlorinated tap water, right? It's also possible that the green is some form of iron. I've found that to be a common impurity in "root killer" copper sulfate.

Z

[Edited on 24-6-2005 by zoomer]
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 11:57

Yeah I'm not concerned about the carbonate, malachite is green after all, and azurite eventually pseudomorphs into malachite. I am concerned about the acetate though, if it's always blue then something is indeed wrong. I didn't dilute it any, vinegar is dilute enough, so it must be fixed, in the carbonate.
Could it be something like, uh, (CuCl4)2CO3(OH)2?

Tim

zoomer
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 12:10

Or possibly Cu2Cl(OH)3 (which would make it an analogue of atacamite)?

The Cl (or Fe) may have been introduced in the copper sulfate itself, the water used to dissolve it, or by some really cheap vinegar. :)

Z
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 14:18

I started with self-made acidic CuCl2 solution, not sulfate. It could certainly be the source of green.

So how about the turbidity?

Tim

zoomer
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-6-2005 at 18:32
Doh!

Sorry about the sulfate comments, my bad, got my threads mixed up.

Dunno, I'll see if I can reproduce it, that might answer the question about process, anyway.

Z

UPDATE -- I can't seem to repro your result, but that may have everything to do with the brand of shock. I use a local brand by Pool Time.

Z

[Edited on 27-6-2005 by zoomer]
Cyrus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2005 at 20:00

Well, I decanted solution from the PbO2 I had made earlier 5 times, filtered it, rinsed it with dH2O, and set it to dry in a dessicator. This took to long, so I let it dry in the open. Then I put it back in the dessicator, and it dried nicely.

Anyhow, enough water had accumulated in the dessicator to make the CaCl2 liquid, and a week or so later I knocked over the dessicator, spilling the PbO2 inside and getting CaCl2 all over it. :(

I really don't feel like purifying it again.
I'm getting a good distilling setup to make some HNO3... so maybe I'll just use lead nitrate for electroplating/making PbO2 anodes.

Quince
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 18:11

I was evaporating the water from the lead acetate I prepared by boiling in the microwave. Unfortunately, later in some datasheet for the substance I read:
Boiling Point: ca. 100C (ca. 212F) Decomposes.
Decomposes? WTF! Does that mean what I've ended up is no good because I boiled it? Looks like whitish crystals to me, with a very slight tint of blue from remaining unreacted copper acetate, except a mark of brownish green in the center where it got the hottest. Should I assume the white crystals aren't lead acetate anymore due to heat decomposition?

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 18:17

Which reminds me, I've had an (reddish; ferric acetate color?) lead acetate syrup drying over the warm stove (no, no food is being prepared on it ATM :P ) for the last two weeks. And uh, yeah... kind of lacking crystallization here...

Tim

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 18:49

The 100C figure is probably the point where it begins to lose acetic acid. It probably isn't a good idea to boil it or leave solutions exposed to air for a long time, it forms basic salts and absorbs CO2.
Quince
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 19:05

12AX7, there won't be crystallization until almost all the water is gone if it's very warm. When there's only a little water left, in my case it formed a very viscous substance, which crystallized upon cooling.

Maybe vacuum drying at 90*C is the way to do this.

I don't think air is a problem, since the procedure for making it directly from vinegar and lead needs the mixture being exposed to the air for months to a year:
http://www.sas.org/tcs/weeklyIssues_2005/2005-05-20/feature1...

[Edited on 11-7-2005 by Quince]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 22:02

Yes, that process has been known for a very long time - as a preparation of basic lead carbonate "white lead".

The vinegar dissolves the lead, forming acetate which becomes a basic acetate, which absorbs CO2 from the air.

Inorganic Preparations says that the basic acetate doesn't crystallize and somewhat prevents the normal acetate from doing so.

Yes, I have personally dissolved lead with vinegar, and attest that in air the initial acetate crystals on the surface of the lead crumble into insoluble powder, and clear solutions of acetate turn cloudy and precipitate crap. It takes a while but I assure you that it happens, in a major, unsubtle way.
verode
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 19:34

very easy:
Lead electrodes with conc, sulphuric acid H2SO4 (electrolysis)

Pb + electrolysis ----yields Red Coated PbO2 and very resistent to chlorine you may use later..like electrode

[Edited on 3-8-2005 by verode]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 20:40

IIRC, you can buy lead *monoxide* as litharge for flux/fire assaying for a decent price. I'm sure there's a thermal way to make the monoxide into dioxide.
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

Mood: PERFECT

smile.gif posted on 24-10-2005 at 14:57
Best Solvent!

What is the best solvent that could dissolve lead dioxide (PbO2) powder completely!?:(
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 25-10-2005 at 08:17

Hmmm, well it's not water. Molten NaOH? But that forms a compound so it's not acceptable. You might be able to form a liquid solution with neighboring oxides e.g. Tl2O, In2O3, Sb2O3, etc.

But I don't know why you would specifically want it in liquid state... somehow I get the distinct feeling you either don't know how to communicate your thoughts or you don't know what the heck you're doing.

Tim

SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-11-2005 at 14:02

Is this method work for plating lead dioxide? (Electrooxidation of lead acetate in acid solution.14 Lead acetate (100 g) was dissolved in 0.5M acetic acid solution. A platinum anode and lead cathode were suspended in the solution and a current of density 1.0 mA cm-2 was passed. The deposit was ground and washed with water.)!!
If it is work for which one PbO2 will plat on +Pt or on -Pb!?
Thanks

Sam
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 27-11-2005 at 03:03

On a small sidenote I recently dissolved Fe in HAc 80% and H2O2 30% with great succes. The Fe dissolved extremely quickly. Perhaps this is an idea for lead?

[Edited on 27/11/2005 by Nerro]

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2005 at 16:14

The platinum anode will be plated with PbO2.

What I want to know is, will it be the alpha or beta form of PbO2?

Quote:
Originally posted by SAM4CH
Is this method work for plating lead dioxide? (Electrooxidation of lead acetate in acid solution.14 Lead acetate (100 g) was dissolved in 0.5M acetic acid solution. A platinum anode and lead cathode were suspended in the solution and a current of density 1.0 mA cm-2 was passed. The deposit was ground and washed with water.)!!
If it is work for which one PbO2 will plat on +Pt or on -Pb!?
Thanks
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-11-2005 at 07:43

It is beta form..
I want to ask about using graphite aerosol .. is it a good idea to paint any surface with conductive graphite paint.. is it will work to make PbO2 from lead/copper nitrate solution.!!?

[Edited on 28-11-2005 by SAM4CH]
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2005 at 12:54

Hello SAM4CH,

I'm wondering, how do you that it is beta form that is deposited form lead acetate/acetic acid solution, do you have a reference dor that?

Also with regard to your graphite coating, I can't say from experience, but as long as it's a conductor and as long as it's compatable with your plating solution, it should work. (I assume you will make your electrical connection directly to the PbO2).

Regards,
Joe
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top