Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ideas for High Temperature Experiments in Kiln/Furnace?
runninfarmer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2012 at 19:12
Ideas for High Temperature Experiments in Kiln/Furnace?

Hi everybody, I recently constructed a high temp electric kiln/furance and was wondering if anybody had any good synthesis experiments to try with it? I've just melted Aluminum in it thus far, but I'm wondering what else I could do?

I realize it's not really for organic experiments, but it'd work great for any high temp inorganic experiments if anybody knows any?

Thanks!
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 05:00

fun things to do would be to make single crystal Cu2O by oxidation of Cu plates. Or if you fancy a materials challenge one could try make the layered p-type semiconductor CuAlO2. This is quite a challenge. It has taken me many months of experiments to get this material. Also trying to recrystallize it in a CuO flux is a fun thing to try.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 06:19

Carbon disulphide can be synthesized if you can reach high enough temps. See garage chemist's thread on this. Also, it would be useful for producing SO<sub>3</sub> for use in oleum production if you have the proper apparatus and safety setups. A lot of interesting reactions become available to the amateur if high temp pyrolisis(sp) is possible, IIRC.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 15:10

I have plenty of ideas, but they are all dangerous ones.

Quote:

Creative Way to Make Elemental Potassium?

An idea for chemical preparation of elemental potassium, which does not require electric current. It would be impractical, but very creative. Not sure if all the reactions would work.

Ca3N2 + (6)KCl --> (3)CaCl2 + (3)K2 + N2

Distilling calcium nitride with potassium chloride in with steel-walled distillation may cause potassium to boil out. This proposed reaction would make use of Le Chatelier's principle. Although potassium boils at 759°C, it is possible that molten potassium could be produced below this temperature. Although lithium can burn in nitrogen, both sodium and potassium nitrides are very unstable. Sodium nitride decomposes into elemental sodium, giving off nitrogen gas, at only 87°C.

(6)CaCl2 + Ti3N4 --> (2)Ca3N2 + (3)TiCl4

The titanium nitride (m.p. 2930°C) would be crushed into a fine powder and distilled under intense heat with calcium chloride. Titanium tetrachloride (TiCl4) is a liquid which boils at only 137 °C.

(3)TiCl4 + (16)NH3 --> Ti3N4 + (12)NH4Cl
(3)TiI4 + (16)NH3 --> Ti3N4 + (12)NH4I

I think titanium tetraiodide (b.p. 377 °C) could be reacted with anhydrous ammonia gas to form titanium nitride and ammonium iodide. I am not sure if the NH3 could be bubbled into molten TiI4, or if the TiI4 would need to be in the vapor phase, with the intense heat required for the reaction. The reaction would be expected to procede because TiI4 is very acidic, and because the titanium-nitrogen bonds are stronger than titanium-iodide. Wikipedia claims that TiCl4 "with ammonia, titanium nitride is formed"; this is not surprising since TiCl4 reacts with water to form titanium dioxide and hydrogen chloride.

Titanium tetraiodide melts at 150 °C. It can be prepared from easily obtainable materials:
(3) TiO2 + (4) AlI3 --> (3)TiI4 + (2)Al2O3

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  
I just remembered an idea; use an electric furnace to heat Na2CO3 up to high temperatures in an inert environment. You could get pure Na2O

[Edited on 17-3-2012 by AndersHoveland]
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 04:05
Melt infiltration???

Being a rocket guy, I'm always on the lookout for ways an amateur can make better nozzles. Melt infiltration is a new one that seems feasible. You make a preform of SiC or WC. It is then infiltrated by a metal (Cu is common) at 1,000 *C or so.

The resulting metal is relatively light, very strong, and has very good thermal resistance.

If you figure out how to do this; I'll be happy to buy some of the nozzles :)

Here are a couple of links:

composite.about.com/od/aboutcompositesplastics/l/aa030205.htm

www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA423925
nora_summers
Harmless

Mood: I am figment of your imagination.

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 08:40

make a superconductor! i think there is a prep online to make YCBO superconductor and one of the steps requires high temperature heating. :)
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 18:35

Even more dangerous is the production of phosphorus.

Calcium carbide may be worth your trouble.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13144#...
above post from this thread
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13144

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2492&a...
above post from this other thread
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2492

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
20-11-2023 at 12:11

Go To Top