Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cleaning CRT monitors
Crux Australis
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 15:36
Cleaning CRT monitors

I'm trying to clean the grey coating - frit - from old CRT monitors, inside and out. I've found that alcohols (particularly methanol) clean it best, but it needs to be scrubbed quite vigourously. I'd really like a method which will dissolve the frit (which contains mostly PbO, but also may contain traces of mercury and cadmium) without scrubbing, so that I can automate the process and reclaim the chemicals for recycling. Anyone have any ideas or experience in this?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by Crux Australis  
I'm trying to clean the grey coating - frit - from old CRT monitors, inside and out. I've found that alcohols (particularly methanol) clean it best, but it needs to be scrubbed quite vigourously. I'd really like a method which will dissolve the frit (which contains mostly PbO, but also may contain traces of mercury and cadmium) without scrubbing, so that I can automate the process and reclaim the chemicals for recycling. Anyone have any ideas or experience in this?
Idea: Acetic acid should dissolve your mixed PbO. I don't know how fast, though.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 14:30

Nitric acid or aqua regia are candidates, and methane sulfonic acid and sulphamic acids could be useful also.
marko
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2012 at 01:00

The grey coating is aquadag (pretty much straight graphite).
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2012 at 07:24

the inside also contain some rare earth oxides and aluminum fine powder HCl should take care of that

Go To Top