Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Urea pyrolysis
killswitch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2012 at 19:24
Urea pyrolysis

Now that new federal regulations have come into effect making ammonium nitrate extremely difficult to acquire, and forcing most makers of instant cold packs to move to other substances, I'm interested in methods for producing nitrates without running my electrical bill into the triple digits. Urea seems to be becoming much more available in the vacuum left by ammonium nitrate in fertilizer and cold pack formulations, so the combustion of urea to CO2, H2O, and NO2 seems a fine replacement. Less convenient, obviously, but not as dangerous as electric-arc processes. My main concern is how to control the temperature to ensure that diatomic nitrogen formation is minimized or eliminated, and that the H2O and NO2 come into optimum contact for the best yield of HNO3. I'm contemplating a one-pot procedure wherein the NO2 and H2O combine with unreacted CO(NH2)2 to form urea nitrate, while ammonia produced by hydrolysis of the urea combines to form ammonium nitrate. If this is too unpredictable or difficult to control, I will stick with my original plan of simply replacing the arc chamber in your standard HNO3 generator with a urea pyrolysis device.

Edit: A device that doesn't make my yard smell like burnt piss would be great.

[Edited on 30-3-2012 by killswitch]
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 29-3-2012 at 19:52

I would imagine the pyrolysis of urea would be a very messy set of reactions. When heated strongyl urea goes under all sorts of condesations and eliminations giving off ammonia gas, and forming all sorts of condensation products (biuret, cyanuric acid, and more). All of which are relativly inert and resistant to further decompostion in the absence of extreme conditions. If you want to go from urea to nitrate you would probly be better off feeding the urea to some nitrobacter and let them take care of the rest.
killswitch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-3-2012 at 20:34

Quote: Originally posted by mnick12  
I would imagine the pyrolysis of urea would be a very messy set of reactions. When heated strongyl urea goes under all sorts of condesations and eliminations giving off ammonia gas, and forming all sorts of condensation products (biuret, cyanuric acid, and more). All of which are relativly inert and resistant to further decompostion in the absence of extreme conditions. If you want to go from urea to nitrate you would probly be better off feeding the urea to some nitrobacter and let them take care of the rest.

What about combusting the ammonia?
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 30-3-2012 at 04:58

The combustion of ammonia without a catalyst results in: 4NH3+3O2===>2N2+6H2O, so that wouldn't work. With a platinum catalyst (some say that copper works as well), however, the react will be like: 4NH3+5O2===>4NO+6H2O. This is the industrial way of producing nitric acid and related nitrates. However, in a home setting, this requires either very sophisticated equipment or very smart design. To give you an idea of what it is like, I'll write down the approximate setup (that my limited intelligence can think of)

First, you obviously will need the container that you are pyrolysing the urea in. A flat-bottomed flask will do. A glass tube needs to channel the produced gasses to an oxidation chamber with some loose copper catalyst. This chamber can probably be a three-necked flask, with one opening being the gasses that a channeled through, one opening some air from a fish pump or some other source, and the final one leading to another glass tube. Both the first and the second flask needs to be heated. The final glass tube leads to a beaker of either cold H2O or H2O2, which the gases will dissolve in, and the depleted air from the fish pump escaping. Not to say that the three-necked flask might crack from heating it empty.

Now, the products produced. Urea pyrolyzes into: CO(NH2)2===>NH3+HCNO. The HCNO hydrolyzes in water to produce NH3 and CO2, which meets in water to form NH4CO3, which reacts with the HNO3 to form NH4NO3. So your end product is a mixture of HNO3 and NH4NO3.

If you have glass tubes, a beaker, a three-necked flask, fine copper catalysts, a flat-bottomed flask and a pumped supply of air, this might be worth a try. But if you don't, and don't consider welding metal together to form the apparatus, then that won't probably work.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2012 at 05:21

If you're going to try catalytic oxidation of ammonia then there is no need to be pyrolyzing the urea. Just mix it in water with slaked lime (or other strong base) and hydrolyze to ammonia. Gentle heat to drive the ammonia out of solution and speed the reaction might be desirable. However, I expect it would take a lot of tinkering to get non-abysmal yields of NO2 with such a setup.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
killswitch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2012 at 09:44

And by copper catalyst you mean finely powdered elemental copper? Or do you mean some kind of organometallic compound?
killswitch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2012 at 10:04

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  

If you have glass tubes, a beaker, a three-necked flask, fine copper catalysts, a flat-bottomed flask and a pumped supply of air, this might be worth a try. But if you don't, and don't consider welding metal together to form the apparatus, then that won't probably work.

Put that way, I'm sure one of the forum-goers could give it a try and report their results, or at least provide an illustration or picture to give the gist of how the apparatus would look.
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 31-3-2012 at 00:56

Quote: Originally posted by killswitch  
And by copper catalyst you mean finely powdered elemental copper? Or do you mean some kind of organometallic compound?

Finely powdered copper, or copper "wools" like steel wool except made of copper. No need for organocopper compounds. If copper doesn't work, then I guess you'll have to spend quite a bit of money to buy some platinum wire to use as a catalyst.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2012 at 06:47

Quote: Originally posted by killswitch  
And by copper catalyst you mean finely powdered elemental copper?
The two catalysts used in industry are platinum and cobalt oxide. Cobalt oxide is the new one; last I looked a few years ago there were only two in operation. Every other one was using platinum, and platinum conservation and recovery is a big deal in these plants for economic operation.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2012 at 15:02

Is this any addition?

A search under 'thermal decompositon of urea' brings up some reading.

Dann2

Attachment: urea_decom.pdf (164kB)
This file has been downloaded 1686 times

shannon dove
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 08:51

I know that nobody believes me, but I made nitric acid by running ammonia and air through a red hot copper tube. There was no other catalyst but the copper tubing. Although it was a low yield and not very efficient.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 09:29

I believe you because I have done the same thing. I was trying to prepare nitrogen by reacting air and ammonia ( to get N2 and water, which I could trap easily). I did use a copper oxide catalyst, but the inside of a copper pipe would have given you that.

The yield of NOx wasn't good, but it was a lot higher than I wanted.
shannon dove
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 13:10

Does anyone here have any knowledge about pyrolysis of protein? Would it be similar to urea pyrolysis? Maybe mix hamburger with slaked lime then distill ammonia out of it.
Yea I have searched it, but I like to here y'alls opinion about whether its worth the trouble. Maybe it's very low yield (inefficient) .
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 17:06

There's a protein assay reaction, I believe using concentrated sulfuric acid to digest protein into things like elemental nitrogen. I want to say ammonia is involved somehow, but that can't be, it would remain in solution as ammonium. Not much help from that memory bank...

Ammonia used to be "spirit of hartshorn" or something like that by destructively distilling hooves; I don't think lime is required (though I would expect it improves yield).

I once tried to distill urea through a heater copper pipe, with the assistance of air, and I thought I saw some brownish gasses come from the apparatus, but never smelled the characteristic sharp odor of NO2, so it probably wasn't working. Catalysts need huge surface areas anyway; instead of a copper pipe, a better approach might be, say, glass wool, soaked in a solution of Cu(II) then reduced quickly to Cu(I) which precipitates microscopic Cu2O, etc. Then stuff this loaded wool into the heated pipe and see what happens. Also need to get the temperature and urea-air concentration correct. Lots of process variables to play with, which if you have the resources to control (pumps and thermostats and whatnot), is pretty easy, but if you don't, you're just pissing in the wind...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Glucose Oxidase
Harmless

Mood: Researching Alchemy

[*] posted on 21-1-2013 at 12:44

I don't know if this is true because i read it on a thread somewhere -sorry i cant cite it because i can't find it- anyway the thread says that heating urea with potassium carbonate or hydroxide would form potassium cyanate which in turn could be oxidized to potassium nitrate using oxidizing compounds such as potassium chlorate but some carbonates should be added to keep the reaction under control and you know the to produce NH4NO3
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 21-1-2013 at 13:43

If you had an ozone generator, you could make ammonium nitrate by oxidising an aqueous solution of ammonia. The aqueous ammonia can be obtained by mixing urea with slaked lime as mentioned above. An ozone generator is pushing the limits, but so is the pyrolysis of proteins.

I'm particularly interested in the generation of NOx by passing ammonia and air through copper tubing. Could copper oxide powder serve as a catalyst?

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Joe3
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 12:50

Its not that hard to make NO2. The problem is the expense of the platnium.
When I was a kid in the 1960's we had our own nitric acid plant. It was completly homemade. it wasent that efficient but it made lots of 40% acid.
The reactor was nothing more that a piece of pipe with a rolled up piece of platnium cloth in it. We even made the cloth on a little loom. Even made the thread by hand on drawing dies.
But the process basicly was like this.
High pressure ammonia and air was heated and pushed thru the reactor then from the reactor it went to a cooler then from the cooler into a small still.
The reactor gave off lots of heat and needed to be cooled.
But it is that easy.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
20-11-2023 at 13:02

Go To Top