Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: ammonium nitrate
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 05:45

Nice! Filtering the old CAN fertiliser was time-consuming and messier but the product was about the same!

Its cost, though, was altogether different . . .

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 06:07

I wish I had the option to to just grab a bag of CAN and filter it, I would even settle for a supply of nitric acid. I currently have to first make the nitric so I can then make the ammonium nitrate but it's also very time consuming.

I think I'll look for some other processes with OTC chems
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 07:17

Dedication...

Could you estimate hours of your time spent & actual materials cost per kg of finished AN?

Granted, equipment for making nitric acid and performing the metathesis reaction is minimal, but I have to think amateurs in a few countries WOULD be ahead to improvise a small Haber-Bosch plant- Bet THAT would surprise hell out of the judges at your local high school science fair!

Whip out your collection of Raspberry Pi and PID bits for process control and start fabbing. You'll need the school's art dept. ceramics kiln for firing the porous ceramic catalysts, and a bit of time in the metal shop for assembling the rest of the process equipment.

A school year should be enough? Then just wheel the unit into the science fair exhibition hall, plug the unit in, turn on the air compressor and natural gas supply. Stand back.

Anything worth doing is worth OVER doing! ;)

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 15:24

Maybe I'll stop complaining and continue concentrating battery acid and distilling the nitric acid:) it is a pain but I'm rewarded in the end. I'm considering buying a larger RBF so I can produce larger batches at one time, the largest RBF I own at the moment is only 1000ml and foaming prevents me from using its full capacity.

I haven't calculated the actual cost in materials, I buy in bulk so the costs are quite low.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top